Help with names? Mostly unisex.

Hello.

My boyfriend and I are expecting a girl in [name]November[/name]. We had decided on 2 names ([name]Anniston[/name] [name]Amery[/name] and [name]Amery[/name] [name]Ann[/name]) to choose from when she arrived, but we sort of came to the conclusion that they wouldn’t age well, and to start from scratch. We then did the whole “10 names I really like” thing, and he only came up with 5, which were the top 5 from the SSA list.

I want my daughter to not have to go by “[name]Emily[/name] S” her whole life, so I tend to lean more towards the “unusual” names.

We narrowed our list down to 5. Now we just need to narrow it down to 2 and we’ll be good. But I can’t decide which ones I like best. I love all of them equally.

[name]Reid[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] Amer [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name] ([name]Josie[/name], [name]Joie[/name])
[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name]

[name]Elizabeth[/name], Amer and [name]Josephine[/name] are all family names. (In case you were wondering.)

Please don’t tell me that these are “actually boy names”. Because frankly, I don’t care. The way I look at it is that [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Ashley[/name] were all originally boy names, and yet no one objects when someone wants to name their kids that.

Please help and thanks in advance!

I really, really love [name]Josephine[/name], but with Amer in the middle, when I say it out loud, the n in [name]Josephine[/name] attaches to the A in amer to sound like [name]Namer[/name]. (This may not bother you, but I thought I’d mention it just in case!) :slight_smile:

If it bothers you, I think that [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is really pretty, too!

(I think that one of the other names, like [name]Harper[/name], could work in the middle, too, such as [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Harper[/name] [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name].)

With [name]Smith[/name] up front in the last names section, I think that a longer first name sounds great!

Now that I think about it, with two last names, I’m wondering if a surname as a first name makes the full name sound like a law firm: [name]Harper[/name] [name]Smith[/name] [name]Brennan[/name]. Hmm…

Anyway, I think that [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name] is absolutely gorgeous, and I think you’re very lucky to have [name]Josephine[/name] as a family name! :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I like the idea of [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Harper[/name]! My next favorite would be [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

[name]Josephine[/name] Amer [name]Smith[/name]-[name]Brennan[/name] gets my vote, I love [name]Josie[/name] and [name]Joie[/name] for nn, and it seems like a name she can grow with. Its not too cutesy but still hits the right note. I also like [name]Elizabeth[/name] for mn, but I would spell it [name]Elisabeth[/name]. [name]Hope[/name] this helps :wink:

I was going to vote for [name]Harper[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], both of which I think are lovely, but [name]Jill[/name]'s right - with your surname they (and [name]Reid[/name]) really do sound like a law or advertising firm. :frowning:
I think [name]Josephine[/name] is a beautiful name without that problem. Although I love [name]Josephine[/name] Amer or [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], I am going to agree that [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Harper[/name] or [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Sloane[/name] may be the best of both worlds (and I like the mixture of the unisex with the girly, in the same way as your original combos).

I never thought of [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Harper[/name]…

Anyways, The whole “[name]Namer[/name]” ([name]Josephine[/name] Amer) thing doesn’t bug me. The only time I’ll be using her whole name is when I’m yelling at her, so it won’t be that big of a deal.

[name]Josephine[/name] Amer/[name]Harper[/name] is a definite lock. We just need to have a 2nd name just in case. I don’t really mind the whole “law firm” thing, mostly because my boyfriend thinks it would be kind of cool. So, which one of the remaining 3 do you think should be in the final 2?

I’m voting for [name]Sloane[/name]… When I first heard of the name, I thought “What?! What’s so pretty about that?”, but I’ve really warmed up to it lately. It’s more melodious and unique compared to [name]Harper[/name], and [name]Reid[/name] will forever be attached to [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Reid[/name] of Criminal Minds in my head, so I have to mull it over for a while before I can give an unbiased opinion… I like the idea of it, but I think [name]Sloane[/name] is ultimately more fascinating ^^
I say take [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Sloane[/name] in the final two… :slight_smile:

[name]Harper[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] (with which I love the nn [name]Posey[/name]!!) are very pretty. I like the name [name]Elizabeth[/name] quite a lot–are you perhaps considering this as a first name? I actually don’t hear many Elizabeths any more, and some of my favorite nn’s derive from it: [name]Libby[/name], [name]Elsie[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Liesel[/name], Zetha, Zellie, [name]Ella[/name], [name]Betsey[/name], to name a few. [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Harper[/name] or Jospehine [name]Elizabeth[/name] would both be gorgeous combos. Also, noticing that you like some unisex names, you might like [name]Lennox[/name] (a favorite of mine), [name]Campbell[/name], [name]Miller[/name] “[name]Mila[/name]”, [name]Jameson[/name], [name]Topher[/name], [name]Hunter[/name], [name]Skipper[/name], Macsen, or even–and I know this is a long-shot; a lot of people shudder when I mention it–[name]Hyde[/name] (which just sounds like an updated [name]Heidi[/name] to me). [name]Reid[/name] and [name]Sloane[/name] are also nice, just not my favorites. Similar to [name]Josephine[/name] is [name]Emeline[/name], [name]Pascaline[/name], and [name]Ottaline[/name].
Good luck with the naming!

I won’t be using [name]Elizabeth[/name] as a first name. There are waaaaay too many Elizabeths in my family as it is. (Altho, [name]Elsie[/name] was on my top 10 list.)

About half of the unisex names you mentioned, are names of my friends. Which I find extremely funny. And, [name]Lennox[/name] always reminds me of [name]Annie[/name] [name]Lennox[/name], whom, I like to say, I get my first name from.

I actually really like [name]Hyde[/name]. But it reminds me of Mr. [name]Hyde[/name], so I don’t think I’ll use it. If my mind hadn’t automatically went there, I might bring it up, but now it’s kind or ruined. :confused:

Aside from the gorgeous [name]Josephine[/name] Amer and [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Harper[/name], I think I’ll vote for [name]Harper[/name] from the other other names. I know it’s more popular than the others, but I think that a longer name sounds great before [name]Smith[/name]. I’d vote for [name]Sloane[/name], but [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Smith[/name] is kind of hard for me to say.

So, it’s [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Harper[/name] for me. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

josephine is a wonderful name with any of your middle names. I feel equally luke warm about the other options. But i want to point out that [name]Harper[/name] has become popular here in Los [name]Angeles[/name] [name]Ca[/name] for girls and boys. [name]Lisa[/name] [name]Marie[/name] [name]Presley[/name] just named one of her twins [name]Harper[/name] and one of the dixie chicks named her daughter harper as well. I think [name]Harper[/name] will shoot up very soon. good luck.

I really like [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! It has edge… by the time your daughter is in preschool there will likely be [name]Harper[/name]'s everywhere, [name]Josephine[/name] also seems to be rising in popularity a bit (though still not popular). Seeing as [name]Sloane[/name] will most likely not become the next [name]Madison[/name] or [name]Ava[/name], [name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is definitely my choice! [name]Love[/name] it

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Harper[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. It’s got a great style about it and sounds strong.

[name]Sloane[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my favorite by far! My little niece is named [name]Sloane[/name] and I just [name]LOVE[/name] it. So beautiful and unique yet not too girly. This definitely gets my vote!

So, I didn’t really count the people who voted for each name, but we came to our 2nd name decision with the help of you all.

[name]Reid[/name] is off the list. No one really acknowledged it, which really helped us.

We didn’t actually realize how popular [name]Harper[/name] is getting. We noticed that it went from being completely obscure, to in the 200s on the SSA list in like 5 years.

So, we decided on [name]Sloane[/name]. We wrote it out a couple times, screamed it around the house, etc. and we think it works.

We also decided that if we use [name]Josephine[/name] her middle name will be [name]Harper[/name]. [name]Josephine[/name] is already a family name, and although I’ve always wanted to use Amer for my child, we just think [name]Harper[/name] flows a little better with the last name. Plus, [name]Josephine[/name] and Amer are from the same side of the family. And [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] is the author of To Kill a Mockingbird (one of my all time favorite books) and that’s my mom’s favorite book as well. So, the name means more to more people I guess.

Maybe if I have another kid Amer will be in there somewhere.

Thank you all, so, so much for you help :slight_smile:

The drop is surprising for a couple of reasons. For one thing, people often assume that as more ”made-up” names (such as [name]Rylee[/name]) enter the language, or as more ”placenames” become baby names (think [name]Dakota[/name]), more of these names are unisex.

Friends of ours named their little girl [name]Sloan[/name], was mother’s maiden name. Very cute.

I really like [name]Anniston[/name]. Why do you think they won’t age well? [name]Josephine[/name] is my favorite of your choices. [name]Harper[/name] is trendy so I think it will end up being dated. I don’t like [name]Reid[/name]. I do like [name]Sloane[/name], it reminds me of [name]Ferris[/name] [name]Bueller[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] Off.

If I recall correctly, the poster named her baby girl [name]Scarlett[/name]. :slight_smile:

Take care!

[name]Reid[/name] is awful, period, please don’t do that to your daughter. [name]Josephine[/name]‘s too old-fashioned for my taste. [name]Harper[/name] is okay, I think of [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] though and since I dont’ like To Kill a Mockingbird it’s not a great connection for me. I like [name]Sloane[/name] best, I see a sweet but sassy little girl who knows what she wants.

Help me please Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums