Help with Summer Camp Counselor Names!

I don’t know if this is the right forum category to post this in, but I genuinely need the help from the Nameberry community!

I just learned last week that I got a summer job working for Girl Scouts as a day camp counselor, where we use summer camp style nicknames with the kids for privacy reasons.

I have a few ideas regarding my camp name, but I’m torn between quite a few of them. For some get-to-know-me stuff, I’m a history major, and I have a lot of varying interests (some of which are reflected in my ideas). Which ones are your favorite, and do you have any recommendations to add to the list? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I am genuinely stuck. Here are my ideas:

Poet - I’m a published poet, and when I did speech and debate, my best event was poetry. It’s also a subtle reference to Taylor Swift, with The Tortured Poets Department coming out next week.

Swiftie - Much less subtle Taylor Swift reference, but I listen to her music a lot and I think it’s definitely a name the girls will like! I’ve also used it recently when I was helping with a spring break day camp.

Songbird - I’ve been obsessed with The Hunger Games recently, but I’m really bad at archery, so maybe the reference to one of the other main female characters? I also love to sing and know most of the Girl Scouts camp songs by heart still, and I just feel like it has a classic camp counselor name feel.

Mothman - My college is in West Virginia, so I wanted to pay homage to that. I’m just worried that this one might be seen as a little “scary” for the little little girls.

Banshee - This is actually the camp name some counselors gave to me when I was a camper, because I am VERY loud. I also live right near a major amusement park with a rollercoaster named Banshee (and the camp I’m working at is also like ten minutes away from the park), and as a rollercoaster enthusiast, I felt that this one was really cute, especially since camp counselors when I was a camper used to call me this. However, as with Mothman, this one might be a little scary for the little little girls, but I think the rollercoaster right by the camp might be their first connotation.

Orion - That same amusement park right near the camp has a newer coaster called Orion, so a lot of the same reasons that I like the name Banshee, minus the potentially “scary” aspects.

Holiday - I was born during the holiday season, and love pretty much any holiday.

Names I’ve ruled out:

Buckeye - It’s a really cute one, and my boyfriend’s family calls me “Buckeye.” However, I was a camp counselor at a previous day camp where I did not have a good experience whatsoever (my other counselors bullied me in high school), and one of the other counselors there was Buckeye (at that camp, I was Peppermint).

What do you think of my ideas? Are there any other ones that you think might be a good fit for me? Thanks!

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Poet[/name_f] & [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]

1 Like

I’d go for [name_f]Poet[/name_f] or Songbird!

1 Like

You have some really unique options, which is great! I’d avoid Swiftie – it’s too much, I think – but I love Songbird, [name_f]Poet[/name_f], and Banshee.

a couple of other notes

You have literally no clue how excited I am to reply to this! I’m a camper at my own [name_f]Girl[/name_f] [name_f]Scout[/name_f] council’s dedicated resident camp, and I also have to choose a camp name this year (I’m gonna be a CIT). I’m a giant camp nerd :upside_down_face:

→ Songbird is awesome! I do love how it has that classic feel, as you said. I also think that it might hit the [name_f]Taylor[/name_f] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] checkbox subtly? (idk I don’t really listen to her but it seems right)

→ I think that Banshee would really depend on the ages of the girls you’re working with. I think it’s fine for like grades 4+? I also love that it’s a camp name you were given!

→ Mothman and [name_m]Orion[/name_m] feel a little more masc to me, which may be something to consider

→ If you need anymore general ideas, I’d be happy to send you some of the names of counselors/staff I know as well as some of the ideas I’ve scrapped for myself!

also that amusement park is top tier (I went there once for a field trip!)

1 Like

I love Songbird and [name_f]Holiday[/name_f]. I like the reasons you give for both, and they feel very summer camp.

Banshee could definitely work (and is my son’s favorite roller coaster :wink:) but I prefer the other two.

1 Like

I think Swiftie is a great one - a possibly a point of connection with the girls, outdoorsy/nature-vibes, linked to poetry, singing and music which feel very ‘camp-counsellor’ vibes, fun and easy to say, and also feels quite fun and friendly.
Songbird is great too - it feels camp-counsellor again, links to singing and The Hunger Games, and ‘Songbird’ makes me think of [name_f]Taylor[/name_f] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] too (as in [name_m]Swift[/name_m], the bird, and she sings)? Another easy one to remember and feels approachable too!

A couple of your ideas:

[name_f]Snow[/name_f] → a link to the Hunger Games, to the holiday season, the song [name_f]Snow[/name_f] on the [name_m]Beach[/name_m] by [name_f]Taylor[/name_f] [name_m]Swift[/name_m]?

[name_f]Cardinal[/name_f] → for [name_m]West[/name_m] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f]?

Sugarmaple → for [name_m]West[/name_m] [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] ?

[name_m]Ever[/name_m] → from [name_f]Taylor[/name_f] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] songs/albums, [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] [name_f]Everdeen[/name_f]

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] → from the [name_f]Taylor[/name_f] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] song?

[name_m]Ballad[/name_m] → linking to poetry, the hunger games, songs

[name_m]Magic[/name_m] → as in, [name_m]Magic[/name_m] [name_m]Mountain[/name_m], and ‘holiday magic’

[name_f]Story[/name_f] → reflecting your history major, your interest in reading, a few [name_f]Taylor[/name_f] swift songs

1 Like