Help with the name Cora

Ok, so my husband and I both like [name]Cora[/name], but when I look up its meaning, it shows a reference to Greek mythology and it is always used in conjunction with the name [name]Persephone[/name] which means “to bring” or “cause death”. I’m not much into Greek mythology, but I want to make sure that I’m not naming my child something that is a synonym for that! Anyone study this is school or just for fun that can clarify the difference?

This wasn’t my area of study, but I looked it up, and apparently [name]Persephone[/name] was known as [name]Kore[/name] in her childhood before she became the [name]Goddess[/name] of the Underworld.

Gulp. Uh…I’m in shock here. I had no idea that [name]Cora[/name], [name]Corinna[/name], and [name]Corinne[/name] were connected to [name]Persephone[/name].

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Cordelia[/name]? According to Nameberry, it’s Latin and means “daughter of the sea,” and if you like it, [name]Cora[/name] could be a nickname. ([name]Cordelia[/name], nn [name]Cora[/name], is one of my all-time favorite names.) :slight_smile:

As I said, this wasn’t my area of study in school, but I’m sure that someone well-versed in the subject will be along soon to help you out! :slight_smile:

In the meantime, here’s one of the links to what I found, although I’m not sure about its accuracy:

http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/greek_goddess_[name]Persephone[/name].htm

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Actually, [name]Kore[/name] (the name [name]Cora[/name] comes from) means ‘maiden’-- a much more pleasant meaning! Other possibilities could be [name]Coralie[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Corinna[/name], or [name]Corinne[/name], none of which are related to [name]Persephone[/name]. Here’s where you can look it up: Meaning, origin and history of the name Cora - Behind the Name

I think [name]Cora[/name] is a fantastic name!
And although [name]Kore[/name] (which does mean ‘maiden’) may be a different name for [name]Persephone[/name] I’m not sure that’s all bad…

Hear me out on this, as I defend [name]Persephone[/name]…
In the oldest of myths, [name]Persephone[/name] was in fact the goddess of death, true. However, that does not make her bad! In ancient times, the balance between life and death was considerd very very important, and since [name]Persephone[/name] was the daughter of [name]Demeter[/name], goddess of the harvest and the creation of life, [name]Persephone[/name] was her natural counterpart, the pair of them maintaining the balance between life and death and thus also the world…
This is, if you go really, really far back!

The later myths tell a slightly different story where [name]Persephone[/name] was made queen of the underworld against her will… She was abducted by Hades and he tricked her into eating some pomegranate seeds while she was down there so she could never fully return to earth… Her mother [name]Demeter[/name] was so saddened by the whole thing that she refused to let anything on earth grow for the entire third of a year [name]Persephone[/name] had to stay in the Underworld, thus creating the changing of the seasons… [name]Persephone[/name] is considered a good girl, and the entire world rejoices at her return from the Underworld by blossoming into spring! [name]Persephone[/name] is considered a goddess of spring more than the evil queen of the Underworld, and I hate that people seem unaware of that! The myths also praise the strong bonds between a mother and a daughter, and I think that naming your daughter [name]Persephone[/name], or [name]Cora[/name] in your case would be a fantastic way to say to your daughter that no matter how deep in trouble she is, you will ALWAYS do your very best to make sure her life is the best it can be!

Its connection to [name]Persephone[/name] actually makes me like [name]Cora[/name] more!

If you want to read more on it, this article is really good:
http://tehomet.net/persephone.html

And if for some reason you should feel offended by this, it is in no way my intention, I just really love [name]Persephone[/name] as a mythical character, and I take all precautions to ‘clear her name’ so to speak… :slight_smile:

I agree with dearest. [name]Persephone[/name] was a “good girl” and an innocent maiden, exactly the meaning of kore, the name behind [name]Cora[/name]. She was the embodiment of the [name]Earth[/name]'s fertility before becoming [name]Queen[/name] of the Underworld after being abducted by Hades. It is this abduction that caused her mother, [name]Demeter[/name], the grief that explains our seasons today. [name]Cora[/name] is a sweet name, as is the character [name]Persephone[/name].

Thanks, Dearest! I know I’m not the original poster, but for what it’s worth, I feel much better about [name]Cora[/name], and all is well again in my [name]Cora[/name] world. :slight_smile:

I love what you wrote about [name]Cora[/name] and the mother/daughter bond, which actually makes me love the name even more! I hope the original poster is similarly relieved by the summary you provided.

(At one point in my life, I knew the Greek myths in and out…I can’t believe how much I’ve forgotten!) :frowning:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

i also actually like the connection between cora and persephone! i was looking for a name that would bring to mind harvest or an image from my family farm. then i discovered cora and the persephone myth and fell in love with the name even more. i think its a nice way to honor my grandparents who were farmers, working the earth to find that balance between life and death, the changing seasons and reaping the rewards of their harvest. that’s what the name cora brings to my mind =)

I don’t know too much about mythology, but what little I know about [name]Persephone[/name] was similar to dearest’s accounts - she is related to the return of spring (I thought!) and imprisoned during the winter, not as something she decided to punish the world - at least going by this, it was her mother’s idea to do that in honor of her - so blame [name]Demeter[/name]!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[name]Persephone[/name]

After reading this account, I can say I’m more aware of her bad side, but I think the name [name]Cora[/name] is ok. It’s never been my favorite, but then I’m not one for myths, I don’t take it too hard that it’s related to a story as a reference, but that doesn’t make me likelier to use it in any form. It’s just like using the same name as some character in a movie, except I guess, this is the ultimate source for the name.

Thank you all so much for the help, now [name]Cora[/name] can stayin our top 2! I love the links as well so if it does end up being our final choice, I have so much history to share with her when she’s older!

I’m glad! [name]History[/name] is important to a name in my opinion, and you two will have loads of it to talk about if you choose [name]Cora[/name]!
Might I ask what the other contender is?

I just wanted to add that I actually met a [name]Persephone[/name] a couple of years back. She would be about 3 now. Her mother said she loved the name and actually went with it. They nned her Sephone (seph-O-nee).