help!! would be v grateful for any opinions - Arthur/Bay

Hello :slight_smile:

having agonized over names since [name]June[/name] and feeling like we’ve FINALLY found the two we like I just can’t resist running them past you guys (instead of risking telling any friends or family who might turn up their noses!)
ok… by the way the surname sounds similar-ish to [name]Thurlow[/name]

omg I’m actually nervous to do this in case anyone says they hate them!

here goes…

[name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] [name]Thurlow[/name]

or
for a girl…

[name]Bay[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Thurlow[/name]

The middle names are not movable as [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my OH’s late Mum’s name and [name]William[/name] is an important family name on my side

We started out on our hunt for a name both thinking we wanted classic names like [name]Jack[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Rachel[/name] etc but the more we thought about it the more we wanted something a bit special for our special and long awaited baby (due in 4 weeks!)

I would love to have your opinions on these names

Thank you xx

I love [name]Bay[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! That is so pretty. :slight_smile:

[name]Arthur[/name]'s not really my style, but I don’t hate it.

Congrats on choosing!

thanks so much for your response :smiley:
i don’t know if it makes any difference but we are in [name]England[/name] - is [name]Arthur[/name] typically English? I’m not sure! also, even though I’m the one that came up with [name]Arthur[/name], I’m starting to wobble a bit but the trouble is the OH is smitten by it now!

I like [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] and [name]Bay[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! I would say [name]Arthur[/name] is definitely a good English name…very royal. The only thing is, when I say [name]Arthur[/name] [name]Thurlow[/name] outloud, there are too many “th” sounds. WDYT?

haha I picked a really bad example surname! … actual surname starts with TO… errmm let me think… change it to Townsend? hopefully that sounds a bit better :smiley:
thanks Kyemsma x!

Perfect! [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] Townsend is very handsome!

Thank you… really appreciate that… I’ll stop worrying about it now and go back to all the other million and one worries! :smiley: x

I think you have chosen gorgeous, stylish, and distinctive names!

I love the breezy, pretty, fun style of [name]Bay[/name], and [name]Elizabeth[/name] is the perfect middle name to anchor it.

And [name]Arthur[/name] is a favorite-- I’m so glad you have it, rather than [name]William[/name], in the first name slot. Such a handsome combination.

From what I can tell, they both sound great with your last name. Congrats on deciding and best of luck with the birth!

I love the name you picked. They are distinctive without being strange and I’m certain your children wil love them.

Thank you for your wonderful comments Hoodie and [name]Leah[/name], they’ve meant a lot to us and have removed any shadows of doubts we may have had! x

[name]Bay[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is wonderful! I would never have thought of [name]Bay[/name] for a first name but now that I see it I think it’s very lovely.

As for [name]Arthur[/name] - I love this name. It’s not very well perceived here in the states but I find this name to be so strong and utterly masculine and classy. [name]Love[/name] both your names.

[name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name] is a classic choice and would be very well received by those who love vintage names and is slowly becoming more popular and will give you a wealth of names to choose from for a future sibling as it is such a classic name. However, I do not like [name]Arthur[/name] (sorry), I would choose [name]William[/name] in the first name spot as I think it is a handsome name and love the nn’s of [name]Liam[/name] and [name]Will[/name].

[name]Bay[/name] is an unusual choice, and you may find people lift their eyebrows a little, but the thing that concerns me is that people may think it is a nickname for [name]Bailey[/name] which is such a trydny, overdone and now dated name.

If it were me I would use the beautiful [name]Willow[/name] for a daughter.

rollo

I love [name]Arthur[/name], but I’m not crazy about [name]Bay[/name]. It just feels really odd and nicknameish to me when placed to a name like [name]Arthur[/name]. I’d use it as a nickname for [name]Beatrice[/name] or something.

thanks to [name]Calypso[/name] for kind comments on our choices x

hehe to [name]Willow[/name] that made us chuckle… yes it’s a beautiful name and one I would have loved to have on our list but unfortunately it rhymes with our surname and I don’t think she would thank us for that :lol:

Sorry to hear that [name]Willow[/name] is out :D.

I love [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name]! It’s so classic and distinguished-- great choice! [name]Bay[/name], on the other hand-- I’m really not fond of. First off, it seems really masculine-- I’d probably expect a [name]Bay[/name] to be a boy. It also sounds really nicknamey, and not very substantial, especially next to [name]Arthur[/name]. I would suggest [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Bay[/name] Townsend, nn [name]Bay[/name]. Then she’ll have a classic, sophisticated first name for when she grows up and may want that sort of name, and a spunky, cute nickname for everyday use. I think [name]Abigail[/name] could also work to get to the nickname [name]Bay[/name]-- [name]Abigail[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]? There’s also the Arabic Zubaida, which may be a little too exotic for you, and [name]Baila[/name], a Yiddish name.

Sorry to discourage you, but good luck! :slight_smile:

When I saw [name]Bay[/name] I instantly thought it was a boys name. I do love the middle name though.

[name]How[/name] did you ever come up with [name]Bay[/name] for a first name? I love it!

It’s not my style at all but as soon as I saw it I wondered why no one had ever thought to use it before. [name]Bay[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a beautiful name and to me it doesn’t sound like a nick name at all and even if it did - so what? I think you’ve managed to find a name that is lovely, unique and not at all “made up”.

As for [name]Arthur[/name] - I really love the name because of the [name]King[/name] [name]Arthur[/name] connection. What could be more masculine, strong and dignified than [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name]. (By the way , [name]Queen[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]'s second son was named [name]Arthur[/name] [name]William[/name].)

If you love both these names then use them. I think you’ve done well!

Saramee I love you!! thank you for saying such lovely things… we almost didn’t dare check for any more comments in case there was anything negative! We will now definitely stick to our choices and I might just print off your nice message to remind us that we’re not the only ones who think these names are nice! Xx thank you!! xX :smiley:

I have to second everyone who has responded in favor of [name]Bay[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] - its a gorgeous name for a girl! I love that [name]Bay[/name] is unusual and [name]Elizabeth[/name] is classic, but that [name]Bay[/name] also sounds rather strong and clean - it really is just lovely.

I am less fond of [name]Arthur[/name], but that’s my own personal (u.S.-based) reaction and I think it would actually be pretty cute on a baby boy (esp. one with an English accent)!