Henry or Asher?

We’re expecting our second in [name_u]March[/name_u]. Gender unknown. Girls names are completely up in the air, I posted about that in the Girl Names forum, check it out if you please… we need help.

Anyway, we are much more on a level with boy’s names. Our son’s name is [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] and our top two choices for a second are [name_m]Asher[/name_m] or [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. (I also love [name_m]Ezra[/name_m] and [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], but DH vetoed them)

I fully expect us to use a nickname for our child. We had no intention of shortening [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], and yet we call him [name_m]Dan[/name_m] even though we agreed when we named him that neither if us liked that nn.

I love [name_u]Ash[/name_u] for [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. I like a lot about the name but worry that it will be seen as a bit trendy or dated.

I really loved [name_m]Henry[/name_m] two or three years ago, but now worry that it’s gotten too popular. I’m also not fond of [name_m]Hank[/name_m] as a nn. I’d agree it needs no nickname, but in our family I think it’s going to get one. Otherwise I love this name.

I think [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is more popular than [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (at least here in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]) Though i prefer the name [name_m]Asher[/name_m].
i for the life of me cannot think of a nickname for [name_m]Henry[/name_m] that is associated with the name. (didn’t realize that’s where hank came from)
But in my experience nicknames don’t have to have anything to do with your name. Example: My name is [name_m]Farren[/name_m] and my childhood nickname was Mudge. Not remotely close. lol But theres a story behind it I wont bore you with but sometimes nicknames just happen. My brothers as well since my mom purposefully chose names for us that couldn’t be shortened we all ended up with nicknames that were…sort of out of left field.

I prefer [name_m]Asher[/name_m] over [name_m]Henry[/name_m] by a long shot. But I prefer your nn option of [name_u]Ash[/name_u] far more than either. I think [name_u]Ash[/name_u] or [name_m]Ashe[/name_m] stands on its own in a daring, bold, and entirely unique way. Its soft and handsome…Its almost mysterious. I love it. <3.

I like both, but I prefer [name_m]Asher[/name_m]. I like it better because it’s a Hebrew name as well, and because [name_u]Ash[/name_u] is a much nicer nickname.
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] is nice and classic, but I strongly dislike [name_m]Hank[/name_m]. [name_m]Harry[/name_m] is better, but still not as strong as [name_u]Ash[/name_u].

I kind of like the suggestion of just using [name_u]Ash[/name_u]. It seems a little more complete with an e at the end. Is [name_m]Ashe[/name_m] a legitimate name? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think people would say “Ashy”?

I prefer [name_m]Henry[/name_m] even though I guess [name_m]Asher[/name_m] is more original.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m], a million times over! [name_m]Hank[/name_m] is cute, but I prefer the full [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

Definitely [name_m]Asher[/name_m]!

That’s a tough choice as I think both are nice names. My name’s [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] and while I’ve always used my full name --[name_u]Ash[/name_u] is a nn that I reserve for only family and very close friends to call me. It’s short and sweet. Definitely gets the job done kind of nickname. If you do wind up wanting to name your son “[name_m]Henry[/name_m]”, have you ever considered the nn “[name_m]Huck[/name_m]”? I’ve heard a few people on here who have little Henrys and call them “[name_m]Huck[/name_m]” for short. Much better than “[name_f]Hen[/name_f]” anyway. Haha.

I like [name_m]Asher[/name_m] / [name_u]Ash[/name_u] / [name_m]Ashe[/name_m] best personally. However, [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a great timeless name. My favorite nn for [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is [name_m]Hal[/name_m].

I’ve seen that some people use [name_m]Huck[/name_m], and I like it, but hubby says a big fat no.He doesn’t mind [name_m]Hank[/name_m], but I really don’t like it. I used to hate the thought of shortening it to [name_f]Hen[/name_f] or [name_f]Henny[/name_f], but the it’s kinda growing on me. Although, I’d prefer if we could just stick with plain old [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. Maybe we will…

I love [name_m]Henry[/name_m]. I’m not a fan of [name_u]Ash[/name_u] names. Maybe the [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] craze just did 'em all in for me. Apparently the [name_m]Hank[/name_m] nn is derived from the diminutive Henk from the original [name_m]Hendrik[/name_m] – incase you were ever curious (I was). There is also [name_m]Harry[/name_m] (yup, weird, whole history there), [name_m]Hal[/name_m], Hens, Heno, [name_f]Hen[/name_f], [name_m]Ry[/name_m], Henz, [name_m]Huck[/name_m], [name_u]Ren[/name_u]. Honestly though since [name_m]Henry[/name_m] nicknames are not usually automatic shortenings, like [name_m]Dan[/name_m] from [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], I don’t think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] would be shortened unless you want it to.

I think [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] sound great together. Both are classic, strong boys’ names.

I like both but I prefer [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
For an established nn I like [name_m]Hal[/name_m] and [name_m]Harry[/name_m]. Personally, I’d call him [name_u]Rio[/name_u]/[name_f]Ryo[/name_f]