Hermione, Augusta and Rosemary Oh my!

[name]Hi[/name] all :slight_smile: I am new here and wanted some input and possible middle name suggestions for my top baby girl names.

I really like the middle name [name]Josephine[/name] for all of these names, but I would like some other possible suggestions and your opinion on which of these sounds best.

[name]Augusta[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]

More importantly, I wanted to know what you thought about the name [name]Hermione[/name]. Is it too soon to try to name a daughter [name]Hermione[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you even like the name? Of course the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] association is a strong one, but is that a bad thing? I try to think of teasing possibilities but the character is a smart, pretty and loyal friend in the series. I guess teasing about being a wizard and being able to do magic is possible-but I don’t think that is anything life scarring and would get old pretty quickly in school.

Anyway, hope I haven’t rambled on too much and really appreciate your thoughts/opinions on my names!

Of your three names, I prefer [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] the most. I think [name]Rosemary[/name] is a beautiful name for a little girl!
I’m sort of on the fence with [name]Hermione[/name]. I love HP, so that’s both a plus and a negative. I think you will constantly get “Like [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Granger[/name]?” comments. So I guess it’s just a matter of whether you are willing to deal with the associations.
I don’t love [name]Augusta[/name] b/c I’m not a fan of [name]Gussie[/name], but that’s just my personal taste. I also find [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] to be a bit of a mouthful.

If you love the name [name]Hermione[/name], then I think the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] reference actually helps the name. Really, how many people would be able to pronounce [name]Hermione[/name] if it wasn’t for [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]? Also, like you said, the character is a good one.

I absolutely adore [name]Augusta[/name] (if I ever have another daughter, it’s on the top of my list), and I think [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] has perfect flow. I disagree with a previous poster who said it’s a mouthful - yes, there are a lot of syllables, but the sounds really balance each other out. This is my first choice from your list by far. Although, [name]Josephine[/name] is not my personal favorite name. If it has significance to you by all means use it, but I prefer [name]Augusta[/name] paired with something a little bit more colorful in the middle - like [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Violet[/name].

[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is fine, but I don’t love it. [name]Rosemary[/name] is not nearly as charming as [name]Augusta[/name] and to me it feels a litle fuddy, though it is definitely pretty (mosly because [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] are both so pretty on their own). I don’t love the flow between the two names because of the repeating ose sound. Of course, if you love [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] is significant to you, there’s nothing wrong with it. Personally, I would prefer just [name]Rose[/name] as the first name with a [name]Mary[/name] variant in the middle, and drop the [name]Josephine[/name] - something like [name]Rose[/name] [name]Marielle[/name] I think is soft and elegant and beautiful (and you can still call her [name]Rosemary[/name] as fun nickname).

I don’t like [name]Hermione[/name] - I think it’s just way too much name because the sound, the style, the out-there-ness, and the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] associations are all so strong that it’s just too much going on in one name. I also don’t think it flows well at all with [name]Josephine[/name] - again too many repeating sounds (n and long o) but also the balance of emphasized syllables (the melody, if you will) is completely off. Also, I think if you do go with a name like [name]Hermione[/name] you need something really tame in the middle to offset it - like [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (I especially think something with a long A sound works well since [name]Hermione[/name] hits all the other long vowel sounds).

Thanks for the replies. [name]Augusta[/name] is my personal favorite, but some family members have said it sounds too masculine or like a coughing noise :cry:

I know it is pretty unusual to find a name that the entire family loves, so I am just going to have to go with my gut. I am looking for a timeless name that suites all ages :slight_smile:

[name]Josephine[/name] is a family name, but I am not hellbent on using it- I have just always loved the name and thought it went well with [name]Augusta[/name].

I appreciate the feedback I got on [name]Hermione[/name], I think the association is just too strong right now. While I don’t think it is a BAD association, I think she would constantly get asked " Like [name]Hermione[/name] from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]?!" and it would get on her last nerve.

One last problem I came across with the name [name]Augusta[/name] is that I don’t know what sibling names would go well with it. Names my husband loves like [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Clara[/name], and [name]Adelaide[/name] I am just not sure go well with the name. Or [name]Rosemary[/name] which we both also like. [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Augusta[/name]- does that sound strange? I think our favorite boy names fit much more nicely: [name]Marcus[/name] and [name]Agusta[/name] sounds lovely I think :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks so much for your help!

My personal favorite is [name]Rosemary[/name], I just think [name]Rosemary[/name] is so pretty. It’s adorable on a little girl but grows up so nicely. I think it’s very sophisticated. I’m not sure how I feel about [name]Augusta[/name]. I love [name]August[/name] for a boy so I should love [name]Augusta[/name]… I actually think it seems a lot more old fashioned than [name]Rosemary[/name] does, I don’t mean that’s a bad thing, just my impression. Oh! And I actually think [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] make perfect sisters! Like seriously, ideal. I think it also goes great with [name]Clara[/name] or [name]Adelaide[/name]… Not [name]Evangeline[/name] as much, but even that could work. My favorite sete by far would be [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name], though.

You said exactly what I was thinking about [name]Hermione[/name]. Its not that it’s a bad association, it’s just so strong that she would hear about it nonstop. I’ve only read the first book and seen the first movie, and [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Granger[/name] is the first (only) thing I think of when I hear the name. So i do thinks pretty, but yeah, I think it’s too soon. I mean, I always get asked “like [name]Dash[/name] from the Incredibles?” when I tell people my sons name, and that isn’t even a fraction of a fraction as well known as [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]!

With [name]Josephine[/name] as the middle name, I think that [name]Augusta[/name] sounds best - the first syllables in [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] rhyme, and [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] just sounds a bit “off,” for some reason (and I agree that a simpler middle name is best with [name]Hermione[/name]…). [name]Augusta[/name] isn’t too masculine to me, because it’s the feminine form of a male name, though the [name]Gussie[/name] nickname does.

I do like the sound of [name]Hermione[/name], but I agree that the [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Granger[/name] association is too strong - most people have at least heard of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], if they haven’t read the books or seen the movies. Also, since [name]Hermione[/name] is an unusual name, people don’t have many other associations. For example, a the name [name]Lily[/name] doesn’t scream [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] for me, because it’s more common and I associate it with several other people and things. I don’t think that [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] association with [name]Hermione[/name] isn’t a bad one, though - it’s not like you’re naming your baby after, say, Voldemort.

[name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Clara[/name], and [name]Adelaide[/name] are all nice, but I’m not 100% sure about them with [name]Augusta[/name], either. I think that [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Augusta[/name] are lovely together, and not strange at all - they both seem like underused vintage names to me, so they fit well together. What about using [name]Josephine[/name] as a first name [name]Augusta[/name]'s sister? You could use one of the other names on your list for middles - [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Hermione[/name], [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Clara[/name], or [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name], maybe?

By the way, which sounds best with your surname?

Thanks again for the additional feedback- I am glad people think [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] sound nice together because I do love both of those names and would hate to have to choose just one!

I suppose it would have been wise to include my surname-duh! It is [name]Nguyen[/name] pronounced [name]Win[/name]. It is Vietnamese so my daughter would be half Vietnamese half white, if that helps in picturing a name on her :slight_smile:

I wish I could use the name [name]Josephine[/name] but it is the name of my cousin whom I am close to in age and location. If it were a name of a great grandmother or aunt I would have loved to use it!

So knowing my surname do you still think the names flow together nicely?

Oh! One other name I like but most seem to hate is [name]Philippa[/name], nick name [name]Pippa[/name]. I think it flows very well with [name]Nguyen[/name] but people tell me it sounds like a made up name- like someone just added an A to [name]Philip[/name]. It’s a shame too, because [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Philippa[/name] could be a cute sib set :frowning:

Wow, people think [name]Philippa[/name] is made up? It’s not any more made up than all the other countless feminizations of male names! [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name], for instance! [name]Silly[/name]!

I think [name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name] is so cute! I’m not sure about it with your last name, though. I think the sounds sort of run together too much, I feel like it sounds like one name when I say it instead of two, like Phillipawin and Pippawin. I think [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] both sound seriously amazing with your last name. [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] and [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]. Very nice! And ohhhh my gosh i can so picture little half-Vietnamese sisters with these names! I can’t really imagine anything cuter! For some reason I’m picturing them in little rain slickers with rain boots and hats and umbrellas. One is in yellow and the other in red. I can also see them in cute little plaid skirts with white tights and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Janes[/name], introducing themselves. A.d.o.r.a.b.l.e.

I love when people tell what they’re kids might looks like, it really does help me get a better picture of what names would fit best. :slight_smile:

Uh oh. You almost have a pun with the name [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]. A gust of wind. I don’t know if that makes a difference for you or not.

I think that all the names flow well with [name]Nguyen[/name]. :slight_smile: ([name]EDIT[/name]: I just saw the comment before mine, and I do kind of hear “a gust of wind” with [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name]…)

I like [name]Philippa[/name] , too, and [name]Pippa[/name] is a spunky nickname. It doesn’t sound made up to me at all, and even if it does, it’s not. [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is lovely, and there’s also [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]. You could even use it as a middle name - maybe something like [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Philippa[/name] or [name]Hermione[/name] [name]Philippa[/name]? I wouldn’t worry about the opinions of others, and if you do end up using it, they’ll have an adorable little girl to associate the name with, and it could grow on them. :slight_smile:

Other names in a similar style:
[name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

To [name]Lyndsay[/name]- your post made me smile for like 5 minutes- thanks so much! I think you make a good point about [name]Philippa[/name] [name]Nguyen[/name] running together- I think it depends on how it is pronounced. If it is pronounced like FIL ippa then I think it probably does run together too much. But fil-IPPA is a little better I think. Unfortunately, I think I like the way the first one is pronounced better! Thank you for pointing that out to me- why didn’t I join this forum sooner?!

That is too funny about a gust of wind! I never made that association and no one that I have mentioned the name to has either. I sort of picture a fiery little girl so that may suite her anyway! But I don’t think a gust of wind really has any teasing potential so I guess it doesn’t bother me, does anyone think it would bother a child? Thanks for pointing that out to me! I’ll have to mention that to my husband when he gets home from work.