Hesed as a name?

We find out in 10 days if we have a girl or boy this time. :face_holding_back_tears: We have 3 boys & 2 girls so we are happy either way, but if it’s a girl, I just keep scrapping names & actually lost a lot of interest after my mom died in July. Sigh. Just shelved it for a bit. But. I’m 18 weeks along now (yay) and starting to think we ought to be discussing again.

I have a long story behind my name choices/thoughts, but this is just a question on the Hebrew word Hesed (khe-sed) as a girl’s name.

So it’s really not meant to be a name, I think. If used at all, I think it’s mostly for boys. But, since it’s a word, it might be somewhat neutral. It would be like using Love in English or Agape in Greek.

I have a bit of a “love” theme with my girls names, and have one named Amaré as a first (Latin for “to love”) and the other Carys as her middle (Welsh for love). I have gone through the thoughts of using Love itself (which I still like), Blessing, Dove, and even my mothers name Diana, which means love to me. But. I can’t get my DH or majority of family (I’m talking my older kids 11, 8, 6) on board with some/all of these.

I came across Hesed tonight, and although I know we would mispronounce it in English as “he-sed”—I still think it’s pretty, with a meaning that touches my heart. It is closest to agape in Greek, but it is more of a covenant-mercy love from God to us—similar to “lovingkindness” (which, incidentally, is what David speaks of in psalm 23 & was one of my mothers favorite chapters in the Bible, which I sang to her on her deathbed). It basically means: “giving oneself fully, with love & compassion.” This is exactly what my mother did & how God has treated us, as well.

So yeah, my mind exploded :exploding_head: in excitement when I came across this word tonight.

Does it work as a middle?

It would most likely be Noémi Hesed.

Kind of cool too because Ruth’s love for her MIL Naomi is described as Hesed.

3 Likes

I’m so very sorry for your loss. :heart:

I think Hesed is a beautiful name, especially as a middle. [name_f]Noémi[/name_f] Hesed is stunning, and the meaning is all the more lovely. I did pronounce it correctly on sight— whether that’s my religious upbringing or intuition I cannot say. :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope you find just what you are looking for in a name and that everything goes lovely. [name_f]May[/name_f] the [name_m]Lord[/name_m] guide you on this journey. :latin_cross:

5 Likes

Thank you so much.

Also, glad you agree it could be used as a name & it flows. It would be ok if you didn’t, too, ha—but it’s nice to know it doesn’t seem far out there.

Also. I do know about & adore the more general (I think) Hebrew name for Love, Ahava. Very lovely. But Hesed holds more depth in my mind, I guess.

1 Like

As a middle, I think it totally works!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Who knows if this will be “it”—ha. But like to keep trying/thinking. :raised_hands:t4:

1 Like

Thank you! @seawillow

You are probably one of the few not thrown off by my crazy ideas. :joy::raised_hands:t4:

I think it’s actually close to [name_f]Hester[/name_f] in sound.

I listened to many pronunciation guides & even a Jewish commentary which mentioned it over & over again in explanation. Very helpful. But it’s that “kh”/“ch” throat sound in Aramaic languages that is said fast & expertly—and that [name_f]English[/name_f] just doesn’t really have. :rofl:

But, I did read that the known [name_f]English[/name_f] “correct” pronunciation is “he (like beginning of help)- said” —and that could work. Probably better than me trying to butcher it. lol.

Of course, I am sure ppl will have opinions against using the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation, but it’s done with many other language crossovers in other languages, so I’m OK with it.

2 Likes

I’m liking that so far no one has jumped on here to tell me Hesed is crazy or inappropriate. :sweat_smile::crazy_face::raised_hands:t4:

1 Like

[name_f]Noémi[/name_f] Hesed is gorgeous.

We had the same name on our list as a middle for a while, but spelled Chesed. I’m not sure that would help [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking people with the pronunciation though, you’d probably get “shesset” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Noémi Hesed is absolutely lovely and clearly very meaningful :heart: It seems perfect for you

1 Like

As a middle I think it works really well! I wouldn’t use it as a first (just peronal preference) but [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] Hased is very pretty and unique! I love the meaning/story you have behind it.

1 Like

@Rosebeth thank you!

I’m glad I’m not the only one to think of this as a beautiful word-name!

Yes you’re right; spelled Chesed would def not help anyone in the US even get close to original pronunciation. :joy:

1 Like

@persephonescrown thank you so much! If I can get my family on board, I agree the meaning honors my mom’s memory so much. Her love was a Hesed kind of love—giving all of herself. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@KJ1020 thanks! Yes, it would most likely remain middle for us since it’s a) hard enough for average American to get their tongue around b) not as easy to roll off as a first name, I think.

But I appreciate your comment! I def am hoping it will become a contender with my fam! I think it is lovely in a meaningful, sobering kind of way.

Congratulations on the pregnancy, and my condolences about your mother. I can’t imagine how tough it must be right now.
I don’t want to be that person but I would steer clear of Hesed if you aren’t Jewish! It’s a very important concept in Judaism and even though I know it’s well-intentioned, I think it could make a lot of people (like myself) uncomfortable.
The idea of having all your middles mean love is so great, and I think that [name_u]Dove[/name_u] is beautiful.

1 Like

I do have Jewish blood, but do not practice Judaism. Still, I believe Scripture is for all, but I hear your concern.

Thanks for your opinion. :raised_hands:t4:

3 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss. :heart: I think it’s a beautiful and meaningful choice!

1 Like

noémi hesed is lovely! i love that it’s inspired by the Bible, which is super special. yes, hesed would be mispronounced, but since you’re probably going to use it in the middle, i don’t think it’s that significant of a reason not to use it.

i know it sounds cliché, but my advice to you would be to pray about this decision. you’re only halfway through your pregnancy, so you have time to make your decision. but i think names are something that should be taken into a lot of consideration, because [name_m]God[/name_m] seemed very intentional in the names He chose.

good luck and congratulations!

3 Likes

Thank you.

@autumn.leaves its not cliche at all. I believe in the Lord & that He hears & answers prayer. Also I agree that names are super important. We read the Bible regularly and I was literally just reflecting on that when I read through Genesis & Exodus again…Abram to Abraham, Sarai to Sara, and Jacob to Israel. Even the mothers (who often did the naming) were intentional about their names (even Eve with the first two, Cain & Abel) and Leah with all 7 of her children. Isaac was named for the incredulous response of his parents, and Jabez even prayed to reverse the curse in his name (and succeeded!). In the NT, God of course dictates the name of Jesus, and tells Zachariah what to name John the Baptist. Jesus changes Simon’s name to Cephas and Saul changes his name to Paul! Names ARE really important. Agreed!

This is a rainbow baby after a loss in April, and then followed the loss of my mom in July. While it’s hard to face things without her & not worry about what could go wrong with this next baby…it’s also been God sustaining me. Of this I am sure.

Thank you for this piece of advice.

1 Like

What a pretty, meaningful name.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] want to chime in a boy name with a similar concept:

[name_u]Hanan[/name_u] (kha-NAHN) could be a good option for a boy - it’s G-d’s loving-kindness giving even to the non-deserving. Listed as one of His attributes along with Hesed. [name_u]David[/name_u] uses this word and it’s root in many psalms as well.

1 Like