Hilda

[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] has flitted in and off my list for a good while. I love her simplicity, and Germanic vintage tweeness. I defs feel it’s an old lady name that has big comeback potential. Yes, it’s old fashioned and clunkier than most of the vintage names that have enjoyed a cottagecore comeback, these names have tended to be soft and pretty. But I think Hilda’s similarity vibe-wise to [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], and soundalike similarity with the ever-popular [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] / [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] could help her along.

Does anyone disagree with my assessment of the name’s revivability? What do we think? As a bonus, what do we think of Hildemara? [name_m]Can[/name_m] you imagine a baby or little [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]?

As always, frankness and honesty welcome :blush:

2 Likes

Oh, and thoughts on Hildemar as well as Hildemara pls :blush:

I think [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] is cute but tough, enough like [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] as you say, but also [name_f]Hallie[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] that it doesn’t sound odd, and it’s got a short, snappy, outdoorsy sound - clunky cute, like [name_f]Doris[/name_f], [name_f]Dora[/name_f], [name_f]Freda[/name_f] and [name_f]Greta[/name_f].

I’d love to meet a young [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]!

1 Like

I agree with you! I think [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] is definitely cottage core and sweet. It’s a lovely name and has a lot of gentleness to it in my opinion- I hope it gets a fork of a revival I love it! :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Yeah I get that fresh outdoorsy thing as well. I still struggle to imagine on a newborn / infant but defs can easily see on a little girl. It would only take meeting one baby with the name to dispel that though, I’m sure :blush:

Me too, it’s really sweet :blush:

1 Like

I’ve always found [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] quite clunky-cute! Like a little vintage witch, haha. I’d love to meet a little [name_f]Hilda[/name_f], and I think with vintage names being so on-trend at the moment, it could work on a baby born in 2024!

Hildemar / Hildemara are also very cool, although I think I find [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] a bit more wearable as a first name!

I LOVE [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]! She reminds me of hills surrounding a grassy meadow with wildflowers.:two_hearts: I think it totally deserves a revival. I would just be thrilled to meet a little [name_f]Hilda[/name_f].

Hildemar/Hildemara are so pretty! I’ve never heard them before but I really love them. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I think you are spot-on with your thoughts about [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] and I think it absolutely has potential.

I also really like [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] (maybe more so than Hilda).

Hildamara is pretty but perhaps a bit too much. I’d just stick with [name_f]Hilda[/name_f], for simplicity.

1 Like

Yes! I totally get that ‘sound of music’ imagery too :blush:
I think I’m preferring the clunky-cute Hildemar to the fussier Hildemara, though both are nice :blush:

1 Like

Ooh, yes I love [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] (this spelling) too, I loved her first. I think [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] would be sweet, though I could defs see as a stand-alone too.
Totally get you on the simplicity thing :blush:
Thankyou for your thoughts

1 Like

[name_f]Pretty[/name_f] in a clunky way.

Especially with the right middle name very pretty :herb::cherry_blossom::purple_heart:

1 Like

Thankyou. What middles would you put with [name_f]Hilda[/name_f], out of interest? :blush:

I absolutely love [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] (and Hildie)! I think your assessment is spot on. I’m not sure it will make a comeback, but I’d love to see it do so! I know a lot of girls recently grew up with the [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] graphic novels and TV series, so with that plus what I’d call Hogwarts-core old, clunky names, it definitely may see some love as today’s young generation become parents.

1 Like

I’ve been crushing on [name_f]Hildegard[/name_f] nn Hilly recently, so I absolutely can get behind [name_f]Hilda[/name_f].

It’s clunky-cute, which I adore. It does feel very similar to [name_f]Heidi[/name_f]. I don’t see [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] making a huge comeback anytime soon (it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t happen; it just needs time), but it doesn’t feel like it would stick out like a sore thumb. [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] gets a greenlight from me.

Hildamar/Hildamara are very cute as well!

Some random combinations:
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Francine[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Greer[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Josette[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Rhonwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Simone[/name_f]

1 Like

This was one of my Grandmothers names… i think it could totally make a comeback

1 Like

I agree :blush: it’s one of those that’s clunky but also very homespun, woolly and down to earth, I think it’s quite wearable.

You know, I’d forgot about [name_f]Hildegard[/name_f] :blush: I’m not sure which I prefer now, [name_f]Hildegard[/name_f] or Hildemar - I might have to compare meanings :blush:

Of your combos I’m loving [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Francine[/name_f] - how mid century sweet. [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] [name_f]Rhonwen[/name_f] is also very nice. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Claire[/name_f] but I have to admit it really works in this combo. Thankyou :blush:

1 Like

Agreed, there’s something quite cosy and comfy to wear about it, and I think the [name_m]Hil[/name_m]- start yielding the sweet nn [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] lends it a contemporary touch which takes the edge off the clunk somewhat. Not that clunky is an issue for me, but I think that lends it more universal appeal.