His vs. Mine, Help up compromise

We are having a boy at the end of this summer. I thought we had picked a name and had a backup just in case, but now I don’t feel like either of those are right. So we’ve started over comparing lists, and our styles are so different I fear one of us is just going to be majorly disappointed. I’m hoping you can help me see something I missed or am overlooking, or come up with a great idea for a compromise, (but be warned my husband is stubborn).
Our daughter’s name is [name_u]Avery[/name_u].

I like:
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]

He likes:
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]

He hates my list, and I think his is just okay, but boring. [name_f]My[/name_f] biggest problem is all of his names (with the exception of [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m]) remind me of annoying boys I went to school with, and I have a very hard time imagining my son with one of those names.

We both like [name_u]James[/name_u], which is a close family name, but we both agree it doesn’t seem right for his first name, and would rather use it as a middle or something.

Any ideas? Does [name_m]Henry[/name_m] rhyme too much with [name_u]Avery[/name_u]? Is it possible to just name him [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] without my husband’s knowledge? (that last question is a joke…mostly)

[name_f]My[/name_f] title is suppose to say us* not up. Sorry for the lack of editing.

[name_u]Avery[/name_u] is gorgeous! You have some great names picked out. I think [name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Henry[/name_m] go together & don’t rhyme. From your lists I also really like

[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]

Here are some other suggestions…

[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]… [name_m]Cailean[/name_m], [name_m]Caius[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]… [name_m]Christer[/name_m], [name_m]Connor[/name_m], [name_m]Cooper[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]… [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]… [name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]… [name_m]Christian[/name_m], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]… [name_m]Harry[/name_m], Harlan, Harvey
[name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]… Variations on [name_m]John[/name_m]: [name_u]Bevan[/name_u], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_m]Ian[/name_m], [name_m]Ivan[/name_m], [name_u]Shaun[/name_u], [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]… Danton, Jordan
[name_m]William[/name_m]… [name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]… I don’t know how you’d feel about using some variations of this in 1st place? [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], [name_m]Hamish[/name_m], [name_m]Jago[/name_m], [name_u]Jamison[/name_u], [name_u]Jameson[/name_u]. Also, James is a variation of Jacob.

Here are some combos

[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Caius[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Connor[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_u]Tristan[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] & [name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
Avery & Jake
Avery & Danton
Avery & Harlan

Good luck! Would love to hear what you decide on.

Personally I don’t find [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] to be too rhymy at all since, other than the last two letters, they sound totally different.
As far as suggestions, here are a few I feel like are a mixture of both your style and his
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Joshua[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_m]Amos[/name_m]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]

What were the names that you had picked but are reconsidering? Maybe that would help with name suggestions you might both like.

Maybe you’d both like:

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Eli[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Hendrik[/name_m]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

Good luck!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought after reading through your lists was [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]. Similarities to [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]/[name_m]John[/name_m]/[name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and [name_m]Caleb[/name_m]/[name_m]Silas[/name_m].

Your DH could use nn [name_m]Joe[/name_m] if he wanted, but it’s a bit more unusual and has a biblical feel like a lot of your list.

I don’t think [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_m]Henry[/name_m] are bad together at all, and I’m with you, I don’t like overused “boring” names either.
I do love [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] though, it’s not very common now but it’s also not too out there. [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] sounds so cute together too!
I have nephews named [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] and [name_m]Eli[/name_m], so those variations on [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] jumped out to me immediately too.
I also love [name_m]Winston[/name_m], [name_m]Judah[/name_m] and [name_u]Hudson[/name_u] as some not so common, but normal names.

Wow, thank you all for your excellent suggestions. I really like a lot of these. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite suggestions are [name_m]Calvin[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]. I will ask DH tonight. I may have to warm up to [name_m]Josiah[/name_m] a bit, its one I’ve never considered. I’ll think about it before I bring it up to him.

@katieree331 The name we had was [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], with [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] as our back up, but when people would ask and I’d tell them it didn’t seem right. It felt like I was talking about some other kid and not my son, and it also made me think of all the guys I don’t like named [name_m]Dan[/name_m] or [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]. However, my husband isn’t really into [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] because he thinks it isn’t masculine sounding enough, which I understand because it is softer sounding, but that’s what appeals to me about it. [name_m]Eli[/name_m] isn’t an option because of that annoying Leap Frog cat character.

Some of the other suggestions are names of cousins or close friends’ children so I don’t want to rule them out completely, but it might be awkward or confusing to use them, (like [name_m]Adam[/name_m], [name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Connor[/name_m], [name_u]Hudson[/name_u]). And some (like [name_u]Evan[/name_u], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_m]Asher[/name_m]) have been shot down already.

Our biggest obstacle seems to be that he doesn’t consider it a real name unless he knows someone with it, and I am just the opposite, and don’t want a name that reminds me of someone I know. I want a blank slate, if possible.

I’m warming up to [name_m]Henry[/name_m] too, so I’m glad you guys don’t think its too matchy. Its hard to know after saying it to myself so often. I feel like I am too inside my own head sometimes, having an outside opinion is great.

It’s interesting; reading your lists, it didn’t feel like your styles were very far apart. But reading your last post, it looks like maybe it’s a matter of finding a name your husband is familiar with but which you haven’t encountered on someone you know/knew. Here are a few suggestions (and I apologize for the inevitable repeats):

[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m]