Hispanic Surnames Used As Forenames(?)

For clarification, I’m not even remotely Hispanic (although I’ve some Hispanic-descent relatives), yet I wonder if any Hispanic surnames are used as forenames for children much like how North Americans have used their culture’s surnames to name their children (Howard, Preston, Harrison, etc.). The only example I could find is “Valencia”, which is a given name almost exclusively in North America, but is a surname common in Latin America, most commonly in Colombia. If anyone has insight into this topic, please provide more information (and examples) below!

Not an expert on Hispanic names but one I can think of is [name_m]Reyes[/name_m], which is common as both a surname and first name I believe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not an expert by any means but I think [name_m]Bautista[/name_m] may possibly fit into this category. I believe it is used as a first name as well as a surname :relieved:

It sometimes happens if it’s the surname of a Catholic saint e.g. Xavier/Javier (St Francis Xavier). There are other examples but that’s the first one that comes to mind. Another less common example would be the masculine name Borja (after St Francis Borgia). In addition, some Spanish surnames coincide with Marian titles that are also used as first names, like Luján (Our Lady of Luján, in Argentina).

Also, Cortez appeared in the US Top 1000 during the 2000s (though obviously I can’t tell if all the parents using that name were Hispanic, though I expect that some were).

I can think of a number of names that are used as both surnames and forenames in Spanish, but most were first names before they became surnames, or they are Spanish words or places as well.

For example, [name_m]Santiago[/name_m], [name_m]Alonso[/name_m], [name_m]Franco[/name_m], [name_f]Alba[/name_f], [name_m]Rodrigo[/name_m], [name_m]Andrés[/name_m], [name_m]Romero[/name_m], [name_f]Paz[/name_f], [name_f]Vega[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], and [name_m]Santos[/name_m].