Honest opinions on Chanel?

i’m obsessed with the name chanel but not everybody seems to share that. i love the posh and high end feel that it has to it while also being soft and feminine (i also have a soft spot for french culture) how do you all feel about it? if it’s not your favorite, what are some other names that have the same vibe? thank you! :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

I actually think [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] is quite pretty! It sounds cute for a little girl, but sophicsticated for an adult woman. Beautiful!

Some of my favorite names actually sound very very similar: [name_f]Chantelle[/name_f], [name_f]Chantel[/name_f], [name_f]Chantal[/name_f], Chantrea, [name_f]Chantrelle[/name_f]

and some names with the same feel are: [name_u]Angel[/name_u], [name_f]Claret[/name_f], [name_f]Giselle[/name_f], [name_f]Danica[/name_f](I don’t dcare for it, but it does seem similar), [name_f]Monique[/name_f], [name_f]Monet[/name_f], [name_u]Berry[/name_u]

1 Like

i love these! angel and monet are already high on my list :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m not a fan. The sound is pretty, but it the association of the brand makes it seem…stuck up to me?
If you like it for the soft sound, maybe…
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Alessia[/name_f]
[name_f]Anika[/name_f]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Celine[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlize[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elle[/name_f]
[name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f]

If you like it for the fashion part, maybe…
[name_u]London[/name_u]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_u]Milan[/name_u]
[name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
[name_f]Monet[/name_f]

Other french names…
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaux[/name_f]
[name_u]Camille[/name_u]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]

2 Likes

[name_f]Chanel[/name_f] has a lovely sound to it, but unfortunately, I think of it as a brand first, and a name second. For that reason, I much prefer [name_f]Chantel[/name_f], or other similar names.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

I like it! I wouldn’t use it, but I think it is a lovely name. :cherry_blossom: :hibiscus: It’s modern, girly, unique, fresh and mysterious!

Similar names: [name_f]Serena[/name_f], [name_f]Blanche[/name_f], [name_u]Noel[/name_u], [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f], [name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Angelou[/name_f], [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], Munique, [name_f]Heaven[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_f]Athena[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Moon[/name_f], [name_f]Adele[/name_f], [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_f]Petal[/name_f], [name_f]Venus[/name_f], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_f]Plum[/name_f], [name_f]Belinda[/name_f]/[name_f]Melinda[/name_f], [name_f]Annabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Gloria[/name_f]/[name_f]Glory[/name_f], [name_f]Soleil[/name_f], [name_f]Diamond[/name_f], [name_f]Alba[/name_f], [name_f]Vienne[/name_f], [name_f]Marisol[/name_f], [name_f]Dominica[/name_f], [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_u]Ivory[/name_u], [name_f]Jubilee[/name_f], [name_f]Marvel[/name_f], [name_u]Lyric[/name_u], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_f]Milana[/name_f], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_f]Capri[/name_f], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], [name_f]Calista[/name_f], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f], [name_f]Boheme[/name_f], [name_u]Garland[/name_u], [name_u]Harmony[/name_u]

2 Likes

I don’t like it, I think it comes off as pretentious and materialistic. What about [name_f]Chantel[/name_f] or [name_f]Chantelle[/name_f]?

1 Like

I love [name_u]French[/name_u] names, too. And I agree that [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] is sorta the epitome of soft and feminine!! But it’s really difficult for me to disassociate it from the brand. Alternatives I think of immediately might be [name_f]Colette[/name_f], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], or [name_f]Celine[/name_f]?

1 Like

Here’s the thing… The name [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] might be associated with a high-end brand and whatnot, but it seems rather tacky to use it for a baby name, imho.

I second @dejectedpiglet 's suggestions of [name_f]Colette[/name_f] and [name_f]Celine[/name_f] – they both have that effortlessly elegant [name_u]French[/name_u] feel. There’s also [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], or [name_f]Corinne[/name_f], [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], [name_u]Camille[/name_u], [name_f]Charlize[/name_f], [name_f]Christine[/name_f], etc.

1 Like

I don’t like it because [name_u]Coco[/name_u] [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] was involved with the Nazi party and that’s all I think about when I hear it. I like the idea of [name_f]Celine[/name_f] or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f].

I don’t know, I just feel that it’s too try hard- I doubt that anyone who can shop at [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] would choose that name for their daughter. I think that would be like if [name_f]Kate[/name_f] Middleton had another daughter and named her [name_f]Princess[/name_f].

I hope that’s not insensitive- ultimately you have to follow your gut.

I love [name_f]Chanel[/name_f], it’s a beautiful choice, and seems like a sweet nod if you’re a fashion lover (like me!). Then again, I have a framed canvas with the [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] logo in my bedroom, so I may be a bit biased? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@leafsgirl44 this makes me happy lol and the other comments have been super helpful as far as other fashion themed names. @Kipperbo1 suggested london, paris, milan, monroe and monet and i love each and every one of them!

1 Like

[name_f]Chanel[/name_f] is super pretty! It has a lot going for it; short and simple, spunky and sophisticated, well-known but not well-used. [name_f]Monet[/name_f] is another sweet one!

1 Like

i love [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] and [name_f]Chanelle[/name_f]

but super duper extroardinarily love [name_u]London[/name_u]!!! for either gender!!!

1 Like

If I’m being honest, my perception of [name_f]Chanel[/name_f] as a name is that it’s somewhat tacky. I kind of agree with what @stellahhh said. I much prefer names like [name_f]Celine[/name_f] and [name_f]Colette[/name_f]. To me, they’re more subtle in their nod to high fashion.

I know a [name_f]Chanel[/name_f], and I thought about the handbag for maybe a half a second - then I just thought of her! All names are going to have associations, so don’t let that stop you. Everyone will just see your babe and the woman she’ll be :slight_smile:

2 Likes