Honest opinions on Margo, please

So this is my new favorite name. I have always loved it. To me it’s a girl that could be anything, but she’s sorta athletic, sorta artsy, smart, cool, friendly. The kind of person that everyone likes. I can see the name fitting any career or path she wanted to follow in life. It’s a name I would love to have, which I think is an important consideration. I can see it on any of the women in my family, and we
all look alike so I think that means it would fit my daughter. My husband never liked it before but now he does. It just seems like the right name.

So I mentioned it to my mom and brother and they HATED it. They both made a face and said it was just awful and ugly and they have no idea how I could like it. I said they’ll like it if I name a baby that and they said no, they’ll never like it. And it’s not that their opinions matter that much, but I was honestly shocked that people would have such a different opinion about [name]Margo[/name] than I do. I never thought people woud think it was ugly when I see it as so pretty. I know I can’t please everyone but I don’t want to use a name that most people will secretly hate.

So, what do you think? [name]How[/name] do you see [name]Margo[/name]? Think I should go for it, or reconsider?

I think [name]Margo[/name] is a beautiful name. My associations with it have always been that it is a lovely, timeless, classic, worldly name. Maybe your little [name]Margo[/name] will be the one that changes your brother and mother’s associations with the name, as I’m sure she’ll be lovely too. [name]Trust[/name] your instincts if you believe it is the perfect name for your daughter.

good luck with your tough decision!

[name]Margo[/name] is honestly one of my favourite names ever, I very nearly named one of my cats [name]Margo[/name] but then I decided that I loved the name [name]Margo[/name] to much to use it on a cat. I can’t really understand what’s not to like, and I think ‘O’ endings for girls are so, so cool. [name]Margo[/name] to me is all the things that you said; artsy, atheletic, smart, cool, friendly and as well as that I see [name]Margo[/name] as cheerful and kooky. I think you should totally go for it as it is one of the best names out there for sure! Plus I saw your post where you were trying to find middle names for [name]Margo[/name] and they were awesome! I would have replied but I saw the post quite late on and felt like everyone else who had helped had done a much better job than I could have ever done. So, yeah, huge thumbs up for [name]Margo[/name] :slight_smile:

Good luck!

~[name]Elena[/name]

I think of [name]Margo[/name] just exactly as you describe her! This name has just recently shot to the top of my list for a future daughter. I’m working on convincing DH :slight_smile: My mom had a similar reaction to yours when I mentioned it to her - she didn’t say she would always hate the name but it didn’t immediately strike her as pretty. She mentioned a few days later, though, that it had grown on her and she likes it now too. I say this because I really, really doubt that you can continue to hate a name once your own granddaughter or niece is named that - doesn’t the name just become the person to you?

Maybe I can be helpful here because [name]Margo[/name] isn’t on my favorites list. In fact, I have to admit, my first response was a slight wrinkling of the nose. Not that I would carry on about it as other have to you. It reminds of '50’s girls. (And now I think of it, what is wrong with that? Girls were charming in the '50’s!)
But you have convinced me I need to broaden my naming horizons to include [name]Margo[/name] as everything you say – classic, upbeat, artistic, intelligent, vivacious.
I say use it. Maybe it is a name whose image is in transition from clunky to cool. Or maybe it has already made that journey, and I’m the one behind. In any case, I think your little [name]Margo[/name] will help us slow ones to see the simple, old fashioned yet new again charm of this name.
I do like [name]Margaux[/name] better, but now I think of it, that could be seen as an affectation and I’ll bet the way to go is just as you spelled it in the title.

[name]Margo[/name] was a name I was considering myself–I thought of it as you do, strong, artistic, energetic… I ran it past a friend with trusted taste who said it reminded her of a post-menopausal woman trying to recreate herself. I haven’t been able to shake that! But my friend is about 20 years older than I am. I think oddly that some of these ‘older’ names are a tougher sell for that generation than for ours. I imagine we’d be as hard pressed to want to resurrect some of the ones from our own generation that rubbed us the wrong way, or that are never going to feel fresh again no matter what.

Anyway, all this said, I think it’s a great name. I like [name]Margaret[/name] too, and initially thought [name]Margo[/name] was a cool spin on it.

love it!!

I love [name]Margo[/name]! It was my top pick for [name]Phoebe[/name]'s sister until I friend chose it recently for her new baby. (Despair!!!) I think it is elegant and classy with a bit of 50’s charm. I always thought [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] sounded like little girls in a storybook. The only think that held me back was the spelling issue. I feel like [name]Margo[/name] is a bit incomplete, [name]Margot[/name] reminds me of maggot (sorry!!), and [name]Margaux[/name] is just too pretentious to mention. My family was never over the moon about it, either. I got “it sounds like you are trying to be French” “it sounds like he name of a video game” and “it’s not a real name, it’s a nickname.” That said, now that it’s most likely off the list, my family is longing for [name]Margo[/name] as I unveil some of my new choices-especially [name]Clementine[/name]!
But writing this post has me remembering why I love her so much, so I may have to go ahead and use her anyway! (I do think it might be getting a bit more popular, though. [name]Just[/name] FYI)

What?? I love [name]Margo[/name]!

I think it is pretty and sounds almost exotic, even though we have all heard the name… you really don’t hear it very often. I think I like the spelling [name]Margot[/name] better (looks more interesting/high end to me).

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Margo[/name]. If it worked with our last name it would be at the top of our list! So… I get to envy all the other mom’s and dad’s who can name their sweet little girls [name]Margo[/name]!

I’m sorry, but I hate it. But that might have something to do with a very annoying French teacher I had in High School :slight_smile: .
However if you really love it, definitely go for it :slight_smile: .
~[name]Layla[/name]

I absolutely love it, and plan to use it if I get the opportunity. I imagine a [name]Margo[/name] to be an intelligent, artistic, stylish, dark-haired girl. When it comes to a classic name like [name]Margo[/name], I don’t think you should worry too much about a negative response from a person or two. Before my first daughter was born, my mother could barely choke her name out without gagging. Now she describes the name as elegant.

This is horrible but I have never really disliked anyone in my life until a few years ago. She is the most selfish, mean hearted soul I’ve ever met and as you’ve already guessed, her name is [name]Margo[/name]. Sorry. The name itself makes me feel sick. Again, I appoligize for the brutal honesty.

I like it too, but much prefer the spelling [name]Margot[/name]. I think it looks a lot more elegant.

I love it, would have considered it strongly for our newborn but runs together with our last name (also starts with O). Good luck and don’t let anyone steer you away from your favorite name!
[name]Haley[/name]

I’m not a fan of [name]Margo/name but maybe it will grow on me in the years to come. What matters is that you love it.

Thank you all so much for the comments! They have gone a long way to make me feel comfortable with the name! I’ve decided that I don’t care what anyone says, I’m confident that naysayers will learn to love it when they meet my adorable little [name]Margo[/name]! So, I am totally on-board! I can’t wait to have a little [name]Margo[/name]/[name]Goldie[/name]/[name]Daisy[/name]/[name]Pearl[/name] ([name]Margo[/name] is a diminutive of [name]Margaret[/name], so it means “pearl”, and [name]Daisy[/name] is also a nn for [name]Margaret[/name], why not [name]Margo[/name], right? and [name]Goldie[/name] because [name]MarGO[/name]-[name]GOldie[/name], see? Maybe their sort of stretching it but they’d just be for family use anyway). I’m already picturing a creamy bedroom with daisies and pearliness with yellow and gold accents, hard to describe, but super cute in my head!

Slight problem… now my husband isn’t sure he likes it anymore! WHAT?? He’s afraid it’s too weird and that everyone will hate it. Sheesh, is his opinion of “weird” slightly off or what? I feel like this is THE name, but I want him to love it too. I’m thinking with time he’ll love it as much as I do. There is really not another name that I like even close to as much right now (with the possible exception of [name]Elizabeth[/name] nn [name]Betsey[/name], but somehow that feels more like what I want to change my OWN name to than something I should name someone else, if that makes any sense).

Thank you all so much for your help! As for middle names at the moment I’m loving [name]Margo[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. I feel like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ann[/name] balances the quirkiness of [name]Margo[/name] nicely. I also still love [name]Margo[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] ___. Oh and spelling. I love the name in all three spellings, but the other two just aren’t right for me. I have learned from having a [name]Dashiell[/name] that I’m not fond of pronunciation issues!! I remember reading The Diary of [name]Ann[/name] [name]Frank[/name] and all the kids in my class trying to figure out how to say [name]Margot[/name]. I read it as mar-gaht. Some said [name]Mar[/name]-goat. I’m not sure if any of us got it right (the teacher let us know, of course, but I stumbled on it every time I read her name).

I’m a little biased but my name is Margeaux. You have to have a tough skin for it. There are a lot of nicknames that come with it, none of which you like. Most people can’t pronounce it when spelled strangely and will butcher the heck out of it. But honestly, I’ve thought about changing my name and I even tried other names. I kept my name. It’s incredibly unique, spelled wrong and always starts a conversation. I like my name now, I never get personalized things but when I do, it’s really special. I’ve only met two others in real life and neither were spelled the same way. I do recommend [name]Margaux[/name] though, at least then it’s spelled right. I actually enjoy spelling my name for people and enjoy confusing them. And it may look pretentious but so do a lot of other names. If you’re comfortable calling your child [name]Margo[/name], then do it. My family thought it was weird when I was born but they love it now.

I dont like [name]Margo[/name] at all! It reminds me of an 40 year old, i could never see it on a little girl. It goes with [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Bertha[/name] and all those other ‘old lady’ names for me, im sorry.