Honest opinions on “Sapphira”

I just heard this - curious to see what you all think of it. [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f], is it too much? Does it sound pretty? Possible nicknames?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] making sure I’m pronouncing it correctly; is it “saf FEER eh”?

If so, I feel like all I’d be hearing is “fear” and it might overshadow the name, you know?

[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] is cute - bold but also familiar

Phi, [name_f]Fifi[/name_f], Saffy, [name_f]Sara[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], Phia, [name_m]Pip[/name_m], [name_f]Sisi[/name_f] as nn?

My tattoo artists youngest daughter is [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] it fits her very well an it’s the only time I’ve ever seen it.

I think it would lovely with [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] and I love the idea of [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] as a nickname

Another idea: [name_f]Serafina[/name_f]/[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]

I think it’s beautiful and a bit mysterious.
Nicknames Safi or Phi.

[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] is stunning! I do prefer [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f] just a teensy bit, but [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] is lovely.

I love [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f], I think it’s so uniquely beautiful!
Nicknames…
Saf
[name_u]Ira[/name_u]
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]
[name_f]Sia[/name_f]

Oh, I like it!

It’s super strong sounding, yet also super feminine. A great pairing w/[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] too. Safi or some other spelling of that seems the most obvious. You could do a little stretch & get [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Sally[/name_f] or [name_u]Scout[/name_u].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to put you off the name you love, but to honestly let you know a reason that this name has the potential to get negative reactions: the name has pretty negative connotations in the [name_m]Christian[/name_m] religion. The story of [name_m]Ananias[/name_m] and [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] in the [name_m]New[/name_m] Testament is a story of a couple who are suddenly struck dead after lying about a donation to the early church. This story is a bit obscure, but it was taught in my denomination’s religious education, and [name_m]Ananias[/name_m] and [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] are clearly portrayed as the villains.

It’s unfortunate because the name itself is gorgeous, but in all honesty I would be a bit taken aback at first to meet someone with this name - just as I would with someone named [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] or [name_f]Jezebel[/name_f].

I have heard of the Negative religious association, but I don’t think it’s a huge deal if you yourself aren’t religious. [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] is extremely popular nowadays, as is [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and both were portrayed poorly in the Bible. I don’t think it’s anywhere close to bold or taboo as naming your kid [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] or [name_f]Lilith[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f]. I think it has a lovely sound and meaning, and reminds of one of my favourite names, [name_f]Sappho[/name_f].

I’m aware that there is a negative Biblical connotation, but at the same time I personally feel that (most) names mentioned in the Bible are simply that - people’s names. Most of them were already in existence before the Bible was written.

Admittedly, my first thought is of the dragon from Eragon. If that doesn’t bother you though, I guess it’s all good! I think it’s pretty and definitely on the spunky, unexpected side. It’s not really my style but if you like it, go for it!

I also thought of the dragon from Eragon. It’s a very pretty name for sure, familiar yet unexpected as others have sad

It reminds me of a sassier version of [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] which I kinda like and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is pretty popular so it should be ok.

I love it! It is one of my favorite names and so underused. [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] is a magical name. [name_u]Unique[/name_u], unexpected, girly, sweet and mysterious. I would love to meet a girl/woman named [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f].

Ditto this. That being said, if I knew my favorite name had a negative Biblical association, I probably would not use it.

I like it! Also seconding that as a lifelong regular churchgoer who attended [name_m]Christian[/name_m] school K-12, I was not familiar with any negative associations from that front, I think the Biblical reference is pretty minor. I think of the dragon from Eragon first, but I like the name as well.