Honest Opinions--WDYT?

[name]Hi[/name] Berries!

What’s your opinion of St.[name]John[/name] (pn Sin-gin) as a first name?

I fell in love with the name the first time I heard it, and I’m a bit of a stickler for sticking to original spellings of names, so wouldn’t really want to go with [name]Sinjin[/name] or [name]Sinjon[/name] etc. I love the way its pn, but is the spelling just asking for trouble? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I’d have pronounced it [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name]. So you will most likely have some pronunciation issue.

I think of St. [name]John[/name]'s wort. I wouldn’t do it if I were you.

S.

So funny; I came across this name last night while reading the book “Spud: the Madness Continues.” Of course it’s also [name]Jane[/name] Eyre’s missionary cousin.

I appreciate the name and its literary heritage, but I do think it belongs to a different era. It’s difficult to know how to pronounce, and it’s unlikely to increase in popularity (which I know is a plus for most nameberries, but when you’re considering pronunciation problems it means your problem isn’t going to get any better).

I’m betting that if you go with this name now, that in the future your son will shorten it to [name]John[/name] for the sake of ease.

I’m sorry, but I do think this one’s a “no.”

I don’t think it would be a good idea to name your son (or future son) St.[name]John[/name]. I definitely see potential teasing issues and mispronunciation issues as well. My first thought was to pronounce [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name]…don’t like it at all! Sorry!

Well I love it. And I knew it straight away.

I don’t think pronunciation is that much of an issue, the people who care about him and who he cares about will always get it right.

It’s classy, literary, and unusual without being overly bizarre or out there.

[name]Do[/name] it!!

If you were going to use it, I would recommend making it visibly different from [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name] (St. [name]John[/name]). You might do St’[name]John[/name]. Or something to indicate that it is not usual, and should be pronounced a certain way. Or try a pronunciation friendly alternative. San [name]Juan[/name] is almost the same sound.

I didn’t know [name]Sinjin[/name] was spelled st [name]JOhn[/name]. I think this is probably pretty foreign to most americans, but i don’t know about europeans. I’m american and I still knew of thename but didnt know how it was spelled. I would say go for it, but if you live in the states change the spelling to [name]Sinjin[/name].

In general, I don’t think people in [name]Britain[/name] would have any trouble with pronunciation of St [name]John[/name]. Most [name]North[/name] Americans would not have clue (I only knew how to pronounce it because I’ve read numerous baby name books over the years). I think it would be a bold and unusual choice for a boy either as a first or middle name option. And personally, I wouldn’t change the spelling to the phonetic [name]Sinjin[/name]. You may have to correct people once but they’ll soon get the hang of it.

I’m familiar with the name because of [name]Jane[/name] Eyre. I’ve actually heard it once before in the US (pronounced sinjin). I think there would be a lot of pronunciation issues the first time around (if you lived in the US), but people would get the hang of it once you correct them. I think its a neat name. If you like it, then I would use it. I would spell it St. [name]John[/name].

I see a lot of issue with this name if you are planning on living in the USA.

There is a St. [name]John[/name] who lives near my sister (southern Ohio) and his name is pronounced [name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name]. The first time I heard him called that I thought it was a NN but it is his given name. [name]Don[/name]'t know him well enough to ask if he was teased as a child.

I think it’s a cool name and I also think that he will be called “[name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name]” - just like the gentleman from Ohio.

I wouldn’t do it! I would definitely pronounce this “[name]Saint[/name] [name]John[/name]” if I saw it, and I know the majority of people would! Plus, I don’t like the sound of “sinjin”…It just seems gross to me!

Too complicated, sorry.
Plus it sounds like a church or a medical organisation to me.
What about [name]Steven[/name] [name]John[/name]. (St [name]John[/name] for short)