Honest Opinions?

So reading through some comments on nb name pages and just overall second-guessing like all of my choices. Could you give me your honest opinions on these names, and maybe some thoughts on the names in my user card? I would love to hear them!

the names:

girls:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]

Lucy

Sibyl

Mireille

Misty

Peregrine

boys:
[name_m]Chester[/name_m]

Vivian

Ferris

Robin [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - A classic, and one that is very popular on nameberry! It’s nice, but not one of my favorites. I always find myself comparing it to [name_f]Elise[/name_f], which I find so much more elegant and beautiful.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - Very, very cute! Not one I would pick for myself (though I’m not sure why, because it fits in well with my other names). I think it’s a lovely, fresh choice! I’d love to meet a little [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]!

[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] - This one just doesn’t sound nice to me. Nothing wrong with it, just not my thing!

[name_f]Mireille[/name_f] - I love this one! So beautiful! [name_f]My[/name_f] only thing is that I always forget how to spell it! The silent L’s seem to mess me up!

[name_f]Misty[/name_f] - I can only see this one as a horse name, unfortunately.

[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] - This feels extremely masculine to me.

[name_m]Chester[/name_m] - I don’t care for it, but I can’t pinpoint why.

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - I love this for a boy!

[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] - This is one of my guilty pleasures! So down to earth and sweet!

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] - Very unisex, but I like it! I find that I almost always prefer unisex names on boys!

1 Like

Alice - A true classic, simple and sweet.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - Adorable. This name is 100% sunshine.
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] - Unexpected and pretty. I prefer the [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] spelling myself, though.
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f] - Not a fan, personally, but it’s not bad. Might raise some pronunciation issues.
[name_f]Misty[/name_f] - A little cutesy. Kind of sounds more like the name of a horse, imho.
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] - Too masculine for my taste – I definitely prefer it for a boy.

Chester - I’m pretty indifferent to [name_m]Chester[/name_m]. It’s not too weird, but it doesn’t seem particularly handsome to me.
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - Fine, I guess? (I really like [name_u]Vivien[/name_u] for a girl, so I don’t love it, tbh.) Not my style, but I certainly think it’s wearable.
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] - [name_m]Bueller[/name_m]. [name_m]Bueller[/name_m]. [name_m]Bueller[/name_m]. [name_m]Bueller[/name_m]. (Literally, that’s all I can think of with this one. – Fun movie. Meh name.)
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] - Honestly, if I heard this name, I would naturally think it was a girl. And I love [name_u]Robin[/name_u] for a boy! It’s just the [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] middle name combo sounds a little too girly. I’d maybe pair [name_u]Robin[/name_u] with more classically masculine names.

1 Like

Alice - this is sweet, classic, a friendly name. I’m personally not a fan, but I have no real reason for it. It might just be because I’ve known so many, it kind of lost its charm. It’s a very nice name, though!
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]! It’s sweet, soft, adorable, warm, bright. So many great namesakes. I never get tired of hearing this name!
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] - a bit more old fashioned sounding, but still a nice name! I like the nn [name_u]Billie[/name_u] too!
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f] - a beautiful name! not exactly my style, but a very pretty name.
[name_f]Misty[/name_f] - this is cute! Reminds me of Pokemon, I loved this name when I was a kid because of that!
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] - this is one of my absolute favorite boy names, but I do like the idea of it on a girl! Very, very cool. I know personally I’d love it if my name were [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]! It has great nn options too.

Chester - I’m sorry, I just don’t like this name. I’ve seen a lot of people mention [name_m]Chester[/name_m] the molester when talking about the name, so it has completely ruined it for me. I’m sorry!!! (also tw for the spoiler, just in case)
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] - this is one of my least favorite girl names, but that’s entirely for personal reasons. I can see it working on a boy, though!
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] - gosh, I love [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] so much! So handsome and sweet. I also love the [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] [name_m]Bueller[/name_m] connection, as it’s a movie I love dearly.
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] - this is such an incredible combo!! Three of my favorite names, and they work sooo well together. I don’t think it’s too unisex or feminine at all (not that either is a bad a thing anyway!). I view [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] as very masculine (they remind me of [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m]/Robin Hood and [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Blake[/name_u] from The 100!) I think this whole combo is so handsome, sweet, adventurous, brave, adorable, and soft with some strength behind it!

1 Like

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]: Always a classic, many great people are named [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. I like the nickname [name_u]Ali[/name_u] for it.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]: Also a classic, but may be too popular.
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]: I absolutely adore this name! So cute.
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]: [name_f]May[/name_f] be hard for some people to pronounce, like during roll call at school. Not my favorite, but if you love it then that’s all that matters.
[name_f]Misty[/name_f]: I love this name as well! I’m very into nature-y names.
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]: I agree with other replies that it feels masculine.
[name_m]Chester[/name_m]: I like it, but for some reason it makes me think of the Cheshire [name_f]Cat[/name_f] :sweat_smile:
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]: Feels a bit feminine to me, but I do like to mix up names when it comes to gender!
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]: [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! So unique and it reminds me of [name_m]Ferris[/name_m] [name_m]Bueller[/name_m].
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]: Again, loving the nature names! Gender neutrals are my favs too.
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]: Gorgeous name honestly! So pretty yet strong.
[name_u]Scout[/name_u]: Not my taste, but I hear it’s becoming really popular!
[name_u]Love[/name_u] the combination of the three!

1 Like

Alice
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] is simple, sweet and light but with a classic kind of strength

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is literary, sleek and full of light. It’s joyful but studious

[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] is vintage but full of life. It has a kind of quaintness to it

[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]
I love the meaning and sounds though i think people might stumble on the pronunciations. You might also like [name_f]Mireya[/name_f]

[name_f]Misty[/name_f]
I do reallt like [name_f]Misty[/name_f]. It’s cute and has such nice imagery. I think it can stand alone too and it gives me the same vibes as names like [name_u]Storm[/name_u] and [name_u]Skye[/name_u]

[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
I prefere it on a boy but i can see it on a girl too. Mystical and interesting

Chester
Charming and quirky

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
I think [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] for a boy is very handsome

[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]
[name_u]Love[/name_u] this! Cute, quirky and cheeky

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] Bellamy Scout
[name_u]Love[/name_u] the unisex vibe of this. It’s full of life and charm

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Here are my thoughts-

Girls-

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]-[name_m]Just[/name_m] lovely. Classic, simple, sweet, smart, feminine w/out being frilly. The only bad thing I will say is that I don’t [name_u]Allie[/name_u] or Lissy personally, & those seem like the only natural nns. Also, I’m not sure how you feel about popularity, but I hear this on like every third baby in my area.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-Pretty much echo what I said about [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. Although I love [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]!

[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]-I like this in theory. It’s different & sounds smart & kind. I just don’t personally think that it has that pretty of a sound.

[name_f]Mireille[/name_f]-I kind of have a feeling that his may get mispronounced & misspelled.a lot. I want to type [name_f]Mirielle[/name_f] & say ‘[name_f]Miri[/name_f]-elle’, but that’s not right. The actual correct pronunciation is lovely, just tricky.

[name_f]Misty[/name_f]-[name_f]My[/name_f] grandparents used to have a beautiful Siamese cat named this. I liked it on her, but it sounds a bit…lady of the night…on a human.

[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]-I kind of prefer this for a boy. It’s a bit much either way. Although I could see the nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u] here, which is super cute.

Boys-

[name_m]Chester[/name_m]-This is fun & different. Quirky & a little geeky, in a good way. I know that you liked it for the [name_m]Chess[/name_m] nn, but I kind of adore [name_m]Chester[/name_m] nn [name_m]Chet[/name_m].

[name_u]Vivian[/name_u]-[name_m]Way[/name_m] too girly in my opinion. And popular for girls to boot.

[name_m]Ferris[/name_m]-Super handsome & not over done. It’s down to earth & kind sounding, but also strong and masculine at the same time.

[name_u]Robin[/name_u]-I don’t mind this. It’s not my personal favorite, but it kind of reminds me of [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u], which is sweet.

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]-I don’t know. With [name_f]Bella[/name_f] being so popular for girls, I wouldn’t do this.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u]-Well. This one is way more popular for girls too, but I see it as unisex. It could totally work on a boy. I wonder if it could be a nn for something more obviously masculine. [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]? [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]? [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]?

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] is soft and feminine. She’s historical. She’s spunky. She’s grounded & fair. She’s whimsical. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is such a solid, likable name. While it’s not my personal taste (what is honestly), it’s still a beautiful name. Next.
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] — so loved. High-energy, amicable, and bright. You can’t beat the meaning. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] is so, so, so sweet. Next.
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] is not for me—but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be for you! I know a little [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] who is about 5. She’s so sweet and fun, and knowing her really helps me to recenter the name on something tangible for a child today.
[name_f]Mireille[/name_f] I can never quite say correctly, but I’ve only ever seen positive comments on it! And a little bit of that [name_u]French[/name_u] Nouveau Riche truly never hurt anyone :wink:
[name_f]Misty[/name_f] — I can appreciate [name_f]Misty[/name_f] in the way that I learned to appreciate my name sound wise, but beyond that [name_f]Misty[/name_f] is honestly very cute and a statement name for sure.
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] is not for me, but again—that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be for you! I love the birds. I think they make for such happy, light names.
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] I appreciate the really mid-century gold-tones of [name_m]Chester[/name_m]. Like so much. I can see [name_m]Chester[/name_m] working fine today, with a fun nickname like [name_m]Chip[/name_m] or Chippy or [name_u]Chase[/name_u]!
[name_u]Vivian[/name_u] I know brothers named [name_m]Yves[/name_m] and [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]! Totally wearable.
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] I don’t love [name_m]Ferris[/name_m], but I think it’s usable. It has (again) a real mid-century pier amusement park vibe.
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] I love and cannot emphasize love enough. [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is lovely, I love [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] for a boy, and [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is so fresh and nice on anyone.

I work at a museum that caters to children in a big city—I’ve met kids with all kinds of names. Two Pascales, a Gregorian, Rahki, Aero, a few Athenas, [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_u]Maurice[/name_u], [name_m]Kalel[/name_m], [name_m]Captain[/name_m], a [name_f]Nephele[/name_f], two Caspians and a Thespian. [name_u]Truly[/name_u] nothing seems too out there anymore. If you love a name, I say it’s usable!

1 Like