Honest thoughts on Matilda?

What do people really think when they hear this name for a baby/little girl!? I am really in love w/ [name]Matilda[/name] but I am afraid maybe to others it is going to sound too old/harsh/clunky/etc. I know names are sooo subjective and everyone will feel different things but just curious what general opinion is of this name??

People who are not into names or don’t know someone named [name]Matilda[/name] will probably find it to be “old/harsh/clunky” upon announcing the name. However, I’ve seen firsthand how people suddenly [name]LOVE[/name] the name, the second they meet an actual little girl named [name]Matilda[/name]. When my [name]BIL[/name]/[name]SIL[/name] announced [name]Matilda[/name] as their chosen name, it gave me pause (and my husband, and I’m pretty sure the rest of the family). Then again, while DH and I have always been very into names, we weren’t actually up on current trends and didn’t realize the massive strides that old lady names have taken. To sum up, I think it’s just a name that takes some time to warm up to. Now we can’t imagine our niece being named anything else, and it suits her so perfectly :slight_smile:

Thanks for your response! I know what you are saying for sure, once you meet a sweet little girl…the opinion often changes. My father HATES the name [name]Matilda[/name] but he spent a good portion of the 70s living in Germany and he just finds it so old lady-ish. He can’t imagine it on a little girl at all. I think it’s really cute but had you asked me even a year ago, I probably would’ve been weirded out too!

[name]Matilda[/name] is one of my favorite names! I love that it has literary connections, tons of nn potential (I would go with [name]Milly[/name], myself), and a good amount of spunk. I do tend to love the so-called ‘old-lady’ names though. [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Ramona[/name], [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Jemima[/name] are some of my favorites, so others who don’t share my taste may find it clunky.

[name]Matilda[/name] has vintage charm, loads of spunk as well as historical and literary connections. I love it! :slight_smile:

When I hear the name I immediately think of actress [name]Tilda[/name] Swinton. So I associate it somewhat with being avant garde.

I like ti very much, but I just realised I may forgoten to write it on my long list. Which is veird, because I written names I laike less than [name]Matilda[/name].

I don’t find it too harsh, old, or clunky. It makes me think of the movie with the little girl named [name]Matilda[/name] that was made back in 1996. This one: Matilda (1996) - IMDb

I quite like the name and find it charming and sweet.

I think of the movie [name]Matilda[/name]

I really like it. It is definitely old-fashioned, but I do not think of it as “old” (as in associated with old ladies). I also think of the children’s movie [name]Matilda[/name], about a little girl. I also (for some reason) connect it to the name [name]Madeline[/name], also a book about a little girl. I think it will fit in with the current resurgence of some of these older names and will not necessarily be thought of as old for the next generation.

I like it because of the literary association and the movie. It surprises me when people outside of the name world still think of it as old lady.
I suggested [name]Matilda[/name] to a family member who is currently pregnant with a little girl and her son who is about eight said she couldn’t use it because it came from a movie. :slight_smile: She isn’t going to use it.

Movie association or not, I still think it’s pretty clunky sounding. Sure, it’ll probably make a comeback, but I’m just not into it.

I adore [name]Matilda[/name]. It’s a strong name while still being feminine. I have a great aunt named [name]Matilda[/name]. We call her aunt [name]Tillie[/name]. I adore the nickname [name]Tillie[/name]. If we were to have a second daughter, she would be [name]Matilda[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Matilda[/name]. It would be on my favourites list if it weren’t so popular where I live!!! It seems to be less popular in the US. [name]LOVE[/name] it so please use it. In my opinion it is not ‘harsh’ or ‘clunky’. Vintage and quirky in my eyes.

It’s probably my top choice right now…but unfortunately not my husbands’s. But I am still keeping it at top of list with a few others. Appreciate all the feedback.