Honest thoughts on Ophelia

Is it too much for a little girl to carry?

Nickname options, favorite middle names to go with it?

My biggest hangup isn’t even the [name]Hamlet[/name] reference, it’s that our surname ends in -a (“uh” sound). I tend to avoid names that end in -a because of this. Is that just my silly personal naming rule, or do you tend to do the same thing, too - avoid first names that end in the same sound as your last?

I agree with you about avoiding names ending with -uh. On one hand, I think [name]Ophelia[/name] could be a great name, but on the other hand, I might worry about middle school “feel ya” jokes.

by eplj ” Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:39 pm

I agree with you about avoiding names ending with -uh. On one hand, I think [name]Ophelia[/name] could be a great name, but on the other hand, I might worry about middle school “feel ya” jokes.
eplj

Thanks for responding, eplj!

[name]Glad[/name] to hear it’s not just my own crazy thing.

I do worry some about teasability, though my desire to give them a name that will serve them well outside of cruel schoolyard antics outweighs it, I think. Kids find a way to tease, regardless of whether the name makes it easy for them. I know I got plenty of teasing, name-related and otherwise.

That’s true. If you think too much about teasability you’ll rule out every name. I’ve had that discussion with my husband several times. I think [name]Ophelia[/name] would be very striking with a short, simple last name.

I think it’s too much for a first name. The (Ped)[name]Ophelia[/name] jokes are just too glaring for me. If you really love it though I think it would make a great middle.

No, I don’t think it’s too heavy for a little girl.

I’ve posted this many times: I think [name]Ophelia[/name] is an absolutely gorgeous name, and it is so unusual but I don’t think that it’s too out there. I firmly believe that [name]Ophelia[/name] from [name]Hamlet[/name] was a strong character who has been thus mistreated and misrepresented - after reading [name]Lisa[/name] Klein’s “[name]Ophelia[/name]” I feel like it should be an inspiriation for any girl who is going through a hard time, or any girl at all.

As for the surname, I’m personally not sure. I agree that any name has the possibility of being a tease-enducer: frankly, I agree that they’ll find a way. The thing that irritates me is that it’s o-phee-lee-a, not o-feel-eya or whatever. >.>;

So I’m all for it. It’s beautiful, different and has substance.

NOTE: as for the (ped)[name]Ophelia[/name] jokes, I’m not sure. There are lots of ‘ophelias’, if you will, and I personally didn’t think of it at all. It would make a fantastic middle name just as much as a first name, too!

I love the name. I think kids will find a way to tease with ANY name, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. It is a cute name on a baby/toddler/young girl, and a beautiful name for an adult, too.

[name]Every[/name] time someone has asked about this name I feel the need to respond because I would hate to see you become deterred from this gorgeous name due to possible teasing issues. Children can tease one another despite what their name is, so that’s really not a factor for me unless the name is something like [name]Hyman[/name]. (I just saw that in another post! Eeek!) Someone else mentioned that [name]Ophelia[/name] is very “striking” and that’s exactly how I feel about it. It’s an incredibly beautiful, feminine, uncommon name that even I would love to have myself. For nicknames, it’s a bit difficult, but I like [name]Fee[/name], or maybe even [name]Fifi[/name] for something fun when she’s really little. But you don’t really need a nickname with a short, lovely name like this. [name]Don[/name]'t be discouraged by those who don’t like [name]Ophelia[/name]! I honestly would never have thought of the “I’ll feel ya” or “pedophelia” references unless I had read them before on nameberry. I love your choice! Good luck!

My honest thoughts on [name]Ophelia[/name] are it’s an absolutely beautiful name that is underutilized! I don’t think it has any more teasing potential than any other name.
But, I would be concerned about a rhyming/similar sounding first and last name. I won’t consider -ette or -etta names, because our last name ends with -ette.

I love the name [name]Ophelia[/name], but would never use it on a child. It is prone to teasing. The “oaf” part in the beginning, plus the others mentioned above… It also doesn’t have many good nicknames. But to each his own!

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

[name]Ophelia[/name] hasn’t been our front-runner because of the common -a ending between it and our last name. It’s a long-time fave of mine, though, from before my marriage (and therefore before I knew what last name the kiddo would have).

My fave nn was Ophie (kinda like [name]Sophie[/name]) for quite a while, until I said it out loud - Oafy. Ugh, haha.

Anyway, thanks for all the thoughts! I fully agree that it’s a long-overlooked and underused name, and I actually really love the reference to [name]Hamlet[/name]'s [name]Ophelia[/name], one of the most fascinating characters out there (I don’t care that she’s not the picture of happiness). It’s a shoo-in as a middle for quite a few of our first name choices, but I don’t think I’d ever get over that -a.

Wonderful name. I would love to see it used. Agree with other posters – one can’t discard all names that might inspire teasing. I know a woman named [name]Amy[/name] who said kids tried to use Aim Toothpaste against her – which rather proves some kids are looking for ammo and will find it – anywhere and everywhere.

I think the Shakespearean character is largely misunderstood. I’m glad to see women are changing that by telling their side of the story (the novel mentioned).

As for the name – reminds me of [name]Sophia[/name] – yet not wildly popular and not seen everywhere. Beautiful. Delicate. Strong. Striking. Unusual. [name]Ophelia[/name].

(For sake of full disclosure, I used this for a dog. Started as a joke, but I came to genuinely love the name. [name]Simon[/name] and Garfunkel had a song at that time, “[name]Cecilia[/name], you’re breaking my heart.” My brother used to sing it to my dog substituting “[name]Ophelia[/name]” for “[name]Cecilia[/name].” It was darling, makes a sweet memory.)

[name]Love[/name] it.
But there are those potential nicknames and with your last name, I wouldn’t use it. :frowning: