Honor name we like or random name we love?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!
Now that hubby and I are officially TTC, we are trying to narrow down our favorites. We’re pretty settled on [name_m]Ethan[/name_m] [name_m]Merrick[/name_m] for a boy, but completely stuck between two names for a girl. We have two top picks and can’t seem to decide between them, so your input is appreciated!

The two choices are:
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] - the honor name. [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] is for DH’s father, [name_u]Arlen[/name_u]. We liked the similar sounding first names, and love the meaning and associations of [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]. [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is for my father who passed in 2009. [name_m]Keith[/name_m] means “wood”, so we wanted a tree name to honor him. We’re not 100% set, so if you have any other tree/wood names that sound better I’d love to hear them. Another big honor name in our family is [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Marin[/name_f]/[name_f]Marina[/name_f] - the name we love. It has no real significance to either of us, we just love the combo. I’m struggling with saying it’s “the one” only because I really love the idea of honoring our families. I almost feel guilty just picking a name because we like it.

[name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

It is very important that you both adore the name. If I did not absolutely adore the honor names and feel like they are The One, then I would not name my child those. In the future, I personally would want my family to choose the names they feel really attached to over honoring me.

Of the names you mentioned, I personally adore [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f].

People don’t need to be honoured with baby’s names. Choose what you love without feeling guilty.

What about [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Arlen[/name_u]? [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is tree-related so could work instead of [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] for [name_m]Keith[/name_m].

I wrestle with this myself, and I hope your TTC period ends quickly.

If it is not something I love, I would not use it in the first name spot. Period. If honoring someone is very important to you, I recommend trying out combos with those (or other variations you come up with) in the middle. You need to be 100% happy at the end of the day.

Did you know that [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] was taken from the hazlenut tree? If you are looking at tree names, and you feel it fits in your heart, I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] can definitely be a nod to your dad.

What about [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Arden[/name_u]? [name_u]Arden[/name_u] is a similar to [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] in its take on [name_u]Arlen[/name_u] imo. It has some literary and nature connections as well.

Other nature tree/wood names:
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u]
[name_m]Birch[/name_m]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]

I think that it is more important to use the name you love!
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Marin[/name_f] or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] could work!

I say go with a name you love. I’ve named 7 children and some of my kids have honor names and some do not. In the end the honor seems to matter a lot less than I thought it would.

I love your creative honour names! [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] would be lovely.

My dad’s name is [name_m]Keith[/name_m] as well, and if I have another daughter, I’m considering [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] to honour him, as it means “forest”, which is essentially the same meaning as [name_m]Keith[/name_m].

[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is a tree name too! [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Arlen[/name_u] or [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] can work really well. Or you can switch the combinations around.

I always say go with the name you love and as pp have mentioned [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] can definetly be an honour name for [name_m]Keith[/name_m]. I love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Marin[/name_f] and the suggestions [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Arden[/name_u]

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Marlena[/name_f]? You keep the first name you love and the combo is also an honour for both of your fathers: [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] for [name_m]Keith[/name_m] and m[name_f]ARLENa[/name_f] for [name_u]Arlen[/name_u]?
Other options with [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] are [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_u]Arlen[/name_u] & [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arlena[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]

I prefer [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] as well. In the long run, I know that choosing a name with meaning would be more important to me than choosing one I loved just because. The personal meaning that [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] has for you won’t go away, but your feelings for [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Marin/name_f might.

ETA: I agree with the previous posters about mixing the combos. [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is also a tree name, and I think [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] could be a good compromise.