Honoring Alexander

DH has his mother’s last name, mainly because his mother wanted all of her children to have the same last name and before DH was born she had a daughter from a different relationship that took her last name. So there’s never been animosity or anything between the families and now DH very much wants to honor his father in naming our children.

His father’s last name is [name_m]Saunders[/name_m] which comes from [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], which also happens to be his brother’s confirmation name and the name of a friend who died young. So it covers a lot of honoring for one name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] main problem is that I really don’t like “[name_u]Alex[/name_u]” it feels very generic, I’ve thought about [name_m]Saunder[/name_m] with the nn “[name_u]Sunny[/name_u]”, but it feels like it won’t age particularly well. I like [name_m]Alastar[/name_m], but we’ve already got [name_f]Alice[/name_f] pretty high up on our girls list, so that can’t really work.

Any suggestions?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] with the nn [name_m]Xander[/name_m]? It would also tie into [name_m]Saunder[/name_m], honoring all 3, but still give baby his own name at the same time.

I really love the Hungarian [name_m]Sandor[/name_m] and the [name_m]Dutch[/name_m], Danish and [name_m]German[/name_m] [name_u]Sander[/name_u] – both forms of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] which feel close to your family name of [name_m]Saunders[/name_m]. There’s also [name_m]Anders[/name_m], which is similar in sound to both [name_m]Saunders[/name_m] and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] too.

All could be [name_u]Sandy[/name_u], [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] or maybe even [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] for short :heart_eyes:

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is a great name! I really like the nickname [name_m]Xander[/name_m] & [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].

Have you considered [name_m]Alexandre[/name_m], [name_m]Axel[/name_m], [name_u]Alexis[/name_u], [name_m]Ace[/name_m], [name_m]Alec[/name_m] or [name_u]Andre[/name_u]?
What about [name_u]Lynx[/name_u]?
I really like [name_u]Sander[/name_u], [name_m]Anders[/name_m], [name_m]Xander[/name_m] and [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] for you too.

1 Like

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m]?

I like [name_m]Saunder[/name_m]!

Also, [name_u]Sasha[/name_u]/[name_u]Sascha[/name_u] is the traditional nickname for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].