Honoring Norma

[name]How[/name] would one honor a person named [name]Norma[/name] without actually giving their child the name [name]Norma[/name]? [name]Norma[/name]'s mn is [name]Lee[/name]. I like the name [name]Nora[/name] a lot. Since it’s only one letter off, do you think that “counts” as honoring a [name]Norma[/name]? Or what about the name Noralie, a combo of [name]Norma[/name]/[name]Nora[/name] and [name]Lee[/name]… sort of? It’s really a name, but does it sound made-up to you? I can’t find any other names that have the same meaning as [name]Norma[/name], which is “pattern” or “normal”. I’m not a fan of [name]Lee[/name] or [name]Leigh[/name] as a name, so I can’t do that either. I’m not pregnant but in the future I would like to name a child after a [name]Norma[/name], so I was just curious how you all would do it. Open to any suggestion!

[name]Nora[/name]. Definitely [name]Nora[/name]. It’s so much prettier and modern then [name]Norma[/name] itself but still similar enough to consider it a namesake.

I would use [name]Nora[/name] or [name]Nona[/name]. Or maybe [name]Neoma[/name]?
I think people would be respectful of your choice to change it a little. :slight_smile:
By the way, I always thought [name]Norma[/name] was a feminine form of [name]Norman[/name] which means ‘from the north’, so for something with the same meaning, that’s perhaps a new place to look?

I would use [name]Nora[/name], no question.

[name]Nora[/name] or [name]Nola[/name].

I don’t think there’s any problem with ‘tweaking’ a name a little to get one you love. The point is that the name you choose reminds you of that person.

I like your suggestions of [name]Nora[/name] or Noralee. Some other variations you could also consider would be [name]Nova[/name], Novalee (these two are my favourites), [name]Nola[/name], [name]Noella[/name], [name]Noemi[/name] or Nolee

I’m not strict about honoring. So if mom’s name was [name]June[/name] and you named a daughter [name]Summer[/name] or [name]Pearl[/name], it’s still honoring. I prefer when the association isn’t super obvious because then there’s a story behind it

You could mix up the letters. If it were a son, [name]Roman[/name]. For a girl, Maron. Could also do [name]Roma[/name] or Romalee/[name]Romilly[/name] or [name]Lenore[/name]/[name]Lenora[/name] or [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Elenora[/name]

Although it doesn’t derive from [name]Norman[/name], [name]Norma[/name] is used as a feminine form of [name]Norman[/name]. So you could use names that associate with “north”- [name]Winter[/name], [name]Holly[/name], [name]Noelle[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], [name]Aspen[/name], [name]Juniper[/name]

[name]Nora[/name] was the first thing that came to mind before I even read your post. I also like all of the suggestions from the pp.

I was going to suggest [name]Nora[/name] so I think that works great :slight_smile:

[name]Nora[/name] would be good.

I think [name]Nora[/name], [name]Nora[/name] [name]Lee[/name] / [name]Nora[/name]-[name]Lee[/name] (over Noralie), or even [name]Nora[/name] Ma____ would be great ways to honor a [name]Norma[/name].

Other ideas:

[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] / [name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Eleonora[/name]
[name]Honora[/name] / [name]Onora[/name]
[name]Lenora[/name]

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and for reassuring me that [name]Nora[/name] would be ok! I like a lot of the suggested names, but none are as close to my style as [name]Nora[/name], so I’m thrilled that you all agree [name]Nora[/name] is an OK way to honor a [name]Norma[/name]. Thanks again.

[name]Naomi[/name] seems close enough to me.

[name]Nora[/name] or [name]Norah[/name] work. Noralie works great for [name]Norma[/name] [name]Lee[/name]. I think any N name works, but it isn’t as obvious. Also [name]Nova[/name] and [name]Naomi[/name] would work especially well. [name]Add[/name] mn [name]Lee[/name]/[name]Leigh[/name] & some might notice the [name]Norma[/name] connection. I also think [name]Norma[/name] is cute! Maybe in the middle?

For a girl, [name]Nora[/name] or Normina or even [name]Nora[/name]-[name]Marie[/name].

For a boy, I love the ideas of [name]Roman[/name] and [name]North[/name].

Thank you all! [name]Love[/name] the idea of [name]Nora[/name]-[name]Marie[/name], or something similar.