Honoring Pamela?

SO’s mother is [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]. Does antone have suggestions for names that could possibly honor her? Thank you.

Names that sound similar to Pamela:
Camila
Pomeline
Mila
Phillipa (Pamela is also believed to be an invented name, from Philip Sidney’s poem Arcadia, so this links in that way too)
Paloma
Paula/Paulina
Romola

Some other more indirect honours:

Honey (Pamela means honey)
Beatrice/Beatrix ‘Bee’ (linked to honey)
Melina, Melissa and Melita (all have honey meanings)
Dulcie (Pamela is also considered to mean all sweetness, Dulcie means sweet)
Maple (sweet, plus uses letters from Pamela)

Also, combo names might work:
Primrose Amelia from your signature for example

What about just [name_f]Ella[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Ama[/name_f] / [name_f]Mela[/name_f] / [name_f]Mila[/name_f]

X

I understand the struggle- I’m planning to honour a [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] (dad’s mum) in the future too, but it’s not an easy one to work with without just using [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] herself!! (Throw in the problem that my own mother hates the name so much she refused to use it for me and so doesn’t want me to use it either… but that’s another issue!)

My work-around suggestion would be one of these options:

1. use the name. [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] is beautiful!! And I think it would be darling on a little girl. If having two [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]'s in the immediate family would be confusing or SO’s mother wouldn’t want you to name a child exactly after her, you could consider it as a middle.

2. if you want to honour the person but aren’t in love with the name, maybe ask her for other suggestions? Using her middle name or a name she always loved would be an equally nice way of honouring SO’s mum!

3. similarly, you could consider a name that isn’t related to [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] but makes you think of SO’s mum or of the name, that gives you a similar feel. Personally, I love how much my own name reflects my nan’s name- it also has 3 syllables and has two of the same/similar sounds within it, including the “a” ending which to me makes her name and mine flow together. It has always made me feel connected to her. For me, the name Fiametta has always given me the same “feel” as [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] although I can’t exactly explain why. Or, a name that makes you think of SO’s mum rather than honouring her name exactly- I plan on using [name_f]Esmeralda[/name_f] one day for that reason. It might not have any ties to the name [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] but it reminds me of her as a person.

4. Finally!! What you actually asked for (Sorry for the long post!!) Names similar or related to [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]. For similarity I could suggest [name_f]Paloma[/name_f], [name_f]Pamina[/name_f] or [name_f]Palmyra[/name_f]? And for names related to [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], I’ve mostly been looking at names which also have “mel” in them. Given it’s meaning of honey, there are also some honey-related options in there too. I’d also include [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f] (beautiful!!) And [name_f]Virtue[/name_f], which have literary ties to [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!!

[name_f]Melissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Melinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Melina[/name_f]
[name_f]Melita[/name_f]
Rosamel
[name_u]Carmel[/name_u]
[name_f]Melody[/name_f]/[name_f]Melodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Honey[/name_f]
Honeysuckle
[name_f]Flower[/name_f]
[name_f]Bee[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]/[name_f]Beatriz[/name_f]
[name_f]Goldie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]/[name_f]Emelie[/name_f]/[name_f]Emelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Demelza[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]

Sorry again for the long post!!

Well, I would use [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] or [name_f]Pam[/name_f] and place it in the middle. While [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] is rather dated it [name_m]WILL[/name_m] come back into style one day (I promise) and then your little one will have that stylish middle. :slight_smile:

Meaning associated with honey – Permilia, [name_f]Melia[/name_f], [name_f]Yara[/name_f], [name_f]Deborah[/name_f]/[name_f]Debra[/name_f]
Meaning associated with sweet – [name_f]Dulce[/name_f], [name_f]Dulcia[/name_f], [name_f]Dulcinea[/name_f], [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f], [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f], [name_f]Anika[/name_f], [name_f]Laia[/name_f], [name_f]Myra[/name_f], [name_f]Rihanna[/name_f], [name_f]Roanna[/name_f], [name_f]Shirin[/name_f]. You might try thinking outside of the box for example names associated with certain fruits, sweet floral scents, etc.

Other “[name_u]Mel[/name_u]” names – [name_f]Amelda[/name_f], [name_f]Camelia[/name_f], [name_f]Carmella[/name_f], [name_f]Carmelit[/name_f], [name_f]Melania[/name_f], [name_f]Melda[/name_f], [name_f]Melba[/name_f], [name_f]Romelle[/name_f]/[name_f]Romella[/name_f], [name_f]Samelle[/name_f], [name_f]Tamela[/name_f], Melrose

With letters [name_f]PAM[/name_f]: [name_f]Padma[/name_f]

What about a first and middle name that incorporates the sounds/letters of [name_f]Pam[/name_f]? For example: [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], etc.

I plan to honour a [name_f]Pamela[/name_f], too, and always thought [name_f]Paloma[/name_f] would work for this.

What about [name_m]Palmer[/name_m]? If you’re cool with surnames, [name_m]Palmer[/name_m] might be a name to consider.

I really like [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] and I think it could definitely work well as is in the middle name spot.

Perhaps using a name that honours SO’s mother other than her name (although I agree with pps that [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] would be a lovely middle name). Does she have a favourite flower, some birth months would work, e.g [name_u]January[/name_u], [name_u]June[/name_u], [name_f]May[/name_f], or [name_f]April[/name_f], or maybe she loves a city/river/ocean/area that she has travelled to?

I know this is a few months late, but I just came across this thread. I, too, have a Pamela to honor. Some of the ideas for girls would be great as I hadn’t come up with any. The first I had come up with was for a little boy. I took her nickname (Pam) and flipped it around (map). Then I searched from there and came up with Atlas. The second I came up with was for a little girl. I took Pamela, changed the P to an I and moved it toward the end to get Amelia.

I would use [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]! I think it sounds bouncy and happy, and if it’s a middle name then no one will know it unless you want them to. It is honestly a very pretty name, I think it just sounds older to Millenial ears; however, it will sound fresh soon. Plus, I think it works well with a lot of first names.