Honoring the Virgin Mary (Boys)

Hello again and welcome to Part II of Papists naming Babies!!

So, how to honor [name]Mary[/name] in your boys name??

There are relatively few male Marians. However, here they are to the best of my ability:

[name]Gilmore[/name]

(Irish Gaelic meaning “servant of [name]Mary[/name].” The meaning’s great. [name]Even[/name] the ethnicity is correct–husband’s got some Irish back in there… But does anyone think “[name]Gilmore[/name] Girls”?? Great show and all, but…)

[name]Pax[/name]

(This is supercool–“Our Lady of [name]Peace[/name].” But some celebrity named their child this, didn’t they. Bradjolina? I don’t recall…)

[name]Rocco[/name]

(…[name]Madonna[/name] (cough).)

And that’s all I got. Any more??

With the obvious dearth of marians for boys, I am absolutely willing to consider non-marys for boys. Our favorite combos at the moment:

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name]

([name]Hugo[/name] is my husband’s great grandfather who was a great, pioneering engineer. AND [name]Hugo[/name] is just so awesome. AND [name]Hugo[/name] is a saint. [name]Jefferson[/name] is my dad’s name.)

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name]

([name]Charles[/name] is my grandfather’s name, who recently passed away. [name]Sinclair[/name] honors saint [name]Clair[/name] of [name]Assisi[/name], which I think is so very cool! We would call him [name]Sinclair[/name].)

NOW, my questions is:
[name]Do[/name] you think that it would be horribly odd to tack a 2nd middle onto these combos? …Namely (ha!) the name [name]Marie[/name]?

Let me preface: “[name]Marie[/name]”/"[name]Maria[/name]" has been used for boys throughout the centuries, both as a [name]Christian[/name] name (think [name]Rainer[/name] [name]Maria[/name] Rilke) and often as a Confirmation name. Couldn’t I just slip it into the 2nd middle–no one would have to know!! (Husband is NOT convinced!!)

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Marie[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Marie[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

If this is just too ridiculous, which of the male Marians work with these combos??

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Gilmore[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Pax[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Rocco[/name] [name]Winter[/name]…

I’m just not feeling it…!

Help??

I love [name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name]! [name]Both[/name] great strong names!

Actuall [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] are nice as well!

I would not throw [name]Marie[/name] in the mix personally, as I would fear my [name]Son[/name] would be embarassed in the future and I want my kids to [name]LOVE[/name] their names! Would you consider [name]Murray[/name] as a way to get there symbolically? Same sound, VERY different spelling and connotation to the world.

I went with Pope names for my boys, rather than the [name]Mary[/name] angle. but again, that’s because I knew so many [name]Mary[/name]-Whatever girls growing up: [name]Mary[/name] [name]Anne[/name], [name]Mary[/name] Particia, ary [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Helen[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Frances[/name], I could go on & on.

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] would be my top pick, Honors all the way around and [name]Charlie[/name] is just adorable on a little one. (Not feeling [name]Chuck[/name], though, sorry) [name]Chaz[/name] or [name]Chas[/name] is another option, if you wish, for nickname potential. [name]Charles[/name] [name]Rocco[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] would work too ([name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] rocco sounds a bit choppy, but flip the [name]Rocco[/name] & [name]Sinclair[/name] and [name]Viola[/name]!)

I think there’s a Monoco [name]Royal[/name], [name]Andrea[/name] perhaps, with [name]Maria[/name] as a middle name? [name]Andrea[/name]'s a boy there. [name]Maria[/name] as a middle for a boy works for me, but I can guarantee when the boys find out what his middle name is in about the 4th grade, he’s in for a hassle. It’s just not common here in the States anymore. If you’re in Europe somewhere, I’d wholeheartedly endorse it for you. Seems a bit more acceptable there than here.

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] works great! Honors a lot too and [name]Hugo[/name]'s fun to say. Feels a bit off on a tiny, skinny kid (I have chunky bruisers for boys) but would age beautifully too.

If I was thinking [name]Mary[/name] for a second middle for a boy, it would be [name]Maria[/name], and yes, I think t could work as a second middle. I used family surnames for second middle on my boys, why wouldn’t [name]Maria[/name] work on yours? And yes, [name]Maria[/name] over [name]Marie[/name], more traditional, [name]Maria[/name] in the middle for a boy (except in French). [name]Charles[/name] [name]Rocco[/name] [name]Maria[/name], [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Maria[/name] both work perfectly fine. If it would make your husband a bit easier, hardly anyone besides family knows my boys second middles and they’re innocuous surname names. I doubt [name]Maria[/name] as a second middle would hinder a boy of yours much at all. Hardly anyone knows my second middle either and my other half thinks his second middle is boring and hardly ever uses it. (to his credit, I didn’t even know he had a second middle until we had been dating for 8 years!)

An if I were to think [name]Marian[/name], I’d go with [name]Marion[/name], [name]Marian[/name] screams Maid [name]Marian[/name] to me thanks to my minor obsession with [name]Robin[/name] Hood but [name]Marion[/name] says [name]John[/name] [name]Wayne[/name] to me. So, there’s my thoughts on that, for what it’s worth.

Time for me to go feed the girl, way past lunchtime for me!

I absolutely love [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] or the other way around. I would definitely stay away from [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Maria[/name]…but why not just use the male sounding versions of those names? [name]Mario[/name] is adorable, but if its too nintendo (which little boys won’t mind, i promise, I babysit for a 6 year old with the middle mario and he loooves being mario in video games), what about [name]Marius[/name]?

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Marius[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Marius[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Marius[/name]/[name]Mario[/name] [name]Winter[/name]

I do, however, love [name]Pax[/name], and think that it works well in place of [name]Marie[/name] in any of your combos. Its even a great first. [name]Pax[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] [name]Winter[/name], etc. [name]Rocco[/name] is very cute too. I think I would stay away from [name]Gilmore[/name] because of the show, but [name]Gilmer[/name] is a variant that I’ve heard people use, still meaning “servant of the Virgin [name]Mary[/name].”

[name]Hope[/name] some of this was helpful! Good luck :slight_smile:

I second (or third/fourth) what the others have send, and would definitely stay away from a middle name that’s long been sanctioned for girls.

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] are amazing names, as are [name]Charles[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name] (I flipped them to avoid the double S in [name]Charles[/name] [name]Sinclair[/name]).

As for [name]Pax[/name], yes, that’s one of the Brangelina names, but I’m wondering about [name]Paxton[/name] as an alternative?

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I heard or read somewhere that the boy’s name [name]Martin[/name] has to do with the Virgin [name]Mary[/name]. Has anyone else heard this? I think it would be honoring to [name]Mary[/name] to name a son [name]Joseph[/name] or [name]Joshua[/name]. [name]Joshua[/name] is basically the same name as [name]Jesus[/name].

I have no problem with [name]Marie[/name] as a middle. I know a very old French guy named [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Marie[/name] and a very young Spaniard named [name]Jose[/name] [name]Maria[/name], so I’m down with both of those. Be bold!