Honouring a loved one 🌷

What is your favourite way to honour a loved one?

My Grammy just passed last night. :broken_heart: I’m looking for ways to find names that remind me of her.

1 Like

I’m sorry, dear :white_heart: I would prefer to use the person’s first name but if that doesn’t work for one reason or other I have considered:

• Names inspired by their first name, middle name, surname, maiden name or nickname
  • Names that sound similar
  • Names with similar meaning or origin
  • Matching their initials
  • Names inspired by their street address or other locations of significance

I probably wouldn’t go for it myself but I like the idea of a virtue name that reminds you of the person. I think you could also think about specific memories you have of her or times you shared with her and see if you can connect any names to those memories.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss :heart:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite ways to honour:

• something inspired by a memory / shared memory with them (like a place you went, something you did together / something you both liked)
  • a name inspired by something they loved / was important to them (like [name_f]Bee[/name_f] or [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] for someone who loves bees)
  • a name reflecting a quality you loved and admired in them (like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] to honour someone’s sense of humour, [name_f]Amity[/name_f] to honour their kindness)
  • using their initials or the letters of their name to guide your choice
  • something inspired by their favourite place, book, show, hobby, animal etc
  • a name they said they loved and didn’t get to use
5 Likes

I am so sorry to hear that your grandmother has passed away. [name_f]My[/name_f] heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I hope that you are able to find peace, hope, strength, and comfort in this difficult time.

There are many lovely ways to honor a special person. I don’t have a favorite way to honor someone. I believe it depends of the names that you can work with and the bond or memories that I shared with that person.

If I adored my loved one’s name or middle name, I would consider using their name. If not, I always think it is amazing to consider:

• Variants of their name, perhaps their nickname, a similar name or their initials.
  • A name with the same meaning. - Probably my favorite option!
  • A name inspired by their surname or maiden name.
  • The name of their birthplace, where they lived, a place that they enjoyed very much, or a place that remind me of that special person. It can also be a name related to a place. For example, if the person that I wish to honor loved the beach, I would search related names like [name_f]Oceana[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_m]August[/name_m], [name_f]Coral[/name_f], [name_m]Wave[/name_m] or [name_m]Sol[/name_m].
  • A name based on a movie, book, play, painting or song that remind me of my loved one or that was important to us.
  • A name inspired by their personality or some feeling/teaching/virtue that my loved one transmitted me. For example, [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_m]Clement[/name_m], or [name_m]Wisdom[/name_m]. Some less expected choices include [name_f]Letitia[/name_f] (“joy, hapiness”), [name_f]Carys[/name_f] (“love”), [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] (“friend”), [name_m]Galen[/name_m] (“calm”) and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] (“laughter”).
  • A name related to something that your loved one is crazy about! Maybe their favorite color, season, plant/flower, song, book, poem, holiday, type of art, or favorite jewel/crystal.
  • A name inspired by their birthstone, birthflower or astrological sign. The month or season that your loved one was born is always something to consider too.
  • A name related to their profession or hobbies.
  • A name that your loved one expressed a positive opinion about.
  • A name with a meaning associated with family or friendship. In your case, you could select [name_f]Maiara[/name_f] (“great-grandmother”), to honor your grandmother.
2 Likes

Thank you @kachenka @Greyblue & @Estrela for your thoughtful comments :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I think a name that evokes a memory of a loved one is always a beautiful way to honor a loved one.

I honored my dad by naming my daughter after his favorite song. Music has always played a major part in our lives, and some of my fondest memories of my dad involve music and going to concerts. After he passed away, I named my daughter after Vienna by Ultravox, a song that meant so much to him and a band that he’s always loved.

One of my sons also has a middle name that refers to a place which means a lot to my twin brother and me, and of which we both have fond memories.

It can really be anything: their favorite flower, favorite place, color, weather… As long as it reminds you of them, it’s perfect.

And don’t forget, she’ll always still be with you. Often you can’t feel it when the loss is still fresh and raw, but she’ll soon be close to you again :two_hearts:

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss. :purple_heart:

I think choosing a name that has a strong connection to your loved one could be: A character of one of their favourite books, their favourite flower, a place name tied to that person, a variation of their name, a name that shares their meaning. I’d think of anything that reminds me of that person and see what names come to mind.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss :white_heart:

After my grandparents passed, I researched a lot into finding names to use to honour them as middle spots for my future kids

You can honour them in many different ways and I think everyone in the comments covers majority of those ways

Using her name directly (first, middle or last), if you ever talked to her about names you could use a name she loved, use a name with the same meaning as hers or its definition is how you’d describe her

When my grandma passed I kept seeing butterflies everywhere. So one name I thought of using to honour her was [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] since it means butterfly in Spanish (and if I don’t use it directly I’ve just thought of using it as a loving nickname - like how my parents call me sweetheart)

Everyone has so many suggestions that I don’t know if I have much more to contribute. But again I’m so sorry for your loss and will be thinking of you :white_heart:

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. You could use her actual name, either as a first name, or middle name. Alternatively, another version or close sounding name, for example, if she was called [name_f]Mary[/name_f], you have , [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f] or [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] etc. [name_f]Anne[/name_f] could be [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], [name_f]Annora[/name_f], or even [name_f]Grace[/name_f] as that is the meaning of [name_f]Anne[/name_f]. Anything that reminds you of her, [name_f]Sunniva[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (light) [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (happiness). [name_m]Or[/name_m] her favourite flower, [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Primrose[/name_f].
Hopefully you will find the perfect way to honour her.

1 Like

Thank you @Rosebeth @RubyGemstone19 @chelsia and @DCAT for your kind words and suggestions. :heart:

1 Like