Horrible turn of events

Oh, [name]Josie[/name], I’m so sorry about your mom having to give up her baby, as well as the pain you’ve endured due to [name]Danica[/name]. I wish I could give you a hug.

Okay. So, [name]Danica[/name]'s name was originally [name]Penelope[/name], the name you love, and the nickname for which will honor your [name]Poppy[/name]. It’s too bad that you found this out, but then again, I suppose it’s better that you learned of [name]Penelope[/name]'s past usage now, as opposed to after you named your baby girl.

Only you know in your heart if you’ll be able to name your baby girl [name]Penelope[/name] without thinking of [name]Danica[/name], who you always knew as [name]Danica[/name], and not [name]Penelope[/name]. If you think of [name]Danica[/name] when you think of the name [name]Penelope[/name], it may be a good idea for you to choose another name, but if you can think of [name]Penelope[/name] as only your baby’s name, that’s another story. You can always wait until your baby girl is born, so that you can look into her eyes and test [name]Penelope[/name] out on her.

Either way, everything will out, [name]Josie[/name], and your baby girl will have a beautiful name.

In the meantime, perhaps you’d feel better if you could come up with some alternatives, just in case.

Have you thought about using [name]Poppy[/name] alone, without [name]Penelope[/name]?

It may not be the best idea because of P.P. initials, but two P names could be used for [name]Poppy[/name], such as [name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] or [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] (not the best flow). You could also go with [name]Philippa[/name], and use the multiple Ps to reach [name]Poppy[/name]. Another option, if you feel you can’t use [name]Penelope[/name] due to its association with [name]Danica[/name], is to use [name]Poppy[/name] in the middle of a new first name.

Other names for [name]Genevieve[/name]'s twin sister:

[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name] (nn [name]Cora[/name])
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name] (nn [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] (that’s a lot of V with [name]Genevieve[/name], though)
[name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Everything will be okay, [name]Josie[/name]. :slight_smile: We’re here for you!

I knew you could make me feel better! Thank you so much and sorry for the long tragic story. I agree that in retrospect I am glad I found out sooner opposed to later. I have definetly considered using just [name]Poppy[/name] but not sure about it with [name]Genevieve[/name].
I am going to wait until the babies are born and hope that I know once I meet them. But I will have alternatives prepared. From your list I love:
[name]Annabelle[/name] (maybe to close to [name]Isabelle[/name]/a which seems to be every second babies name here!
[name]Clementine[/name] I [name]ADORE[/name]. Oh my darlin, oh my darlin…
[name]Josephine[/name] is out because it’s my name.
[name]Mirabelle[/name] is gorgeous but to but ditto [name]Annabelle[/name], although [name]Mirabel[/name]/le is much more original.
[name]Iris[/name] is a family name I love but I would prefer it in the middle.
I really like the sound of [name]Juliet[/name]/te but all I can think of is hating studying R & J in grade ten…
I love [name]Cora[/name] but not [name]Cordelia[/name] so not sure about that one.
Two other names I have been thinking about are:
[name]Esme[/name]. I love it but out loud it sounds weird to me. I don’t know…
[name]Delilah[/name]. But is it too Plain White T’s?? And I don’t like it with [name]Genevieve[/name].

What about [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Esme[/name]? Or do you prefer one of the other names to [name]Esme[/name]?
[name]Poppy[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name]?
I’m very open to suggestions.

I think I may put [name]Penelope[/name] on hold for now and revisit it later. Maybe in a few years I will feel ok to use it. Or maybe I will just use [name]Poppy[/name] this time.
Is [name]Poppy[/name] too cutesy with [name]Genevieve[/name]?

Sorry for all the questions (again).

And [name]Jill[/name], thank you so much for your support, I really really really mean that.

Oh dear! I feel so sorry for you; it must have brought all of that upset and bad feeling back to you. I replied to your other thread and love [name]Penelope[/name] but can totally understand why you don’t wont to use it now.
My first was actually [name]Clementine[/name] before I read the other reply. I think it sits with [name]Genevieve[/name] perfectly.
Other names (trying to exclude [name]Jill[/name]'s fabulous suggestions):

[name]Adelaide[/name]/ [name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Arianna[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Chiara[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Dulcie[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

I’m sure you will be able to find another name that you love as much.
Good luck!

[name]Just[/name] thought of one more which I think would be gorgeous too- [name]Lucia[/name]. I think that’s lovely!

I am SO sad for you! This really is horrible…

I agree with [name]Jill[/name] in that only you can know whether it would be alright for you to use [name]Penelope[/name] as your baby’s name. Wait until your baby is born, then look at her and decide whether it will work, or it makes you think too much of [name]Danica[/name]. I personally think [name]Penelope[/name] goes beautifully with [name]Genevieve[/name], and it is so sweet to nickname her [name]Poppy[/name] after your grandfather.

But in the meantime, the alternative I like best is [name]Clementine[/name]. [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] sounds lovely. If you were to name her [name]Clementine[/name], I love the idea of [name]Poppy[/name] as a MN to still honor your grandfather. (I don’t think [name]Poppy[/name] would work as a FN next to [name]Genevieve[/name], however.)

Some other suggestions I liked:
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
Phillippa nn [name]Poppy[/name]
(I won’t choose too many in an attempt to deduct from your confusion.)

Again, I’m very sorry. Here’s to hoping your beautiful twins will help you to leave the past behind and forge your own life, no matter what their names are!

This is a really sad story. Almost everyone has people in their families that are really difficult, but this sounds terribly difficult.
I can see why you want to use the name [name]Poppy[/name] to honor your father. I will look up [name]Poppy[/name] on Behind the Name to see if there are any names that mean poppy. Be right back!
Matilija, Romneya poppy
I looked poppy up on Behind the Name, and there was only the name [name]Poppy[/name] that meant poppy.
But then I looked up poppy on Wikipedia, and I found the Romneya family of poppies. The Matilija poppy grows in Northern Mexico and [name]California[/name]. It’s very pretty. I’m thinking Matilija sounds and looks a lot like [name]Matilda[/name]. [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] is a cute name! You could call her [name]Mattie[/name], [name]Tillie[/name], [name]Tilda[/name], or [name]Poppy[/name]!
There are all kinds of other poppies in the world, but after a quick glance at the list, I thought the word that looked the most like a name was Matilija.

What a sad story. I’m so sorry that she felt the need to blame you for something that was completely beyond your control, especially after you thought you had such a great relationship. I can only imagine how devastating that must be.

I like the idea of using [name]Poppy[/name] as a middle name and still calling her [name]Poppy[/name]. Lots of people are called by their middle names and it would still honor your grandfather. [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] does sound pretty and [name]Matilda[/name] goes better with [name]Genevieve[/name] than [name]Poppy[/name] would.

I don’t know- but it seems you are letting some negative force hold power over you. If she is truly out of your life then [name]Penelope[/name] can be nothing but a positive name for you. You’re either over it or you aren’t and I pray for you that you are.

Why change for her?

I can totally understand why you wouldn’t want to use [name]Penelope[/name] now. There are people in my own family that have ruined names for me. It takes many, many years to get over something like that. I had a very troubled cousin who took heroin, went to prison, and ended up overdosing in the bathtub. His name was [name]Charles[/name]. When I was pregnant with my first baby, my M-I-L wanted us to name the baby [name]Charles[/name] after her father if he were a boy. I thought, that will go over well in my family! (I’m being ironic, of course.) Fortunately [name]Charles[/name] sounds just awful with our last name, so I told her that [name]Charles[/name] didn’t go with [name]Chesney[/name]. She said that she thought [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Chesney[/name] was very cute. I said that we already had a name picked out. I told her it was [name]Peter[/name]. She said she didn’t like that name. But we ended up naming our son [name]Peter[/name] anyway.
But imagine how awful it would have been for my aunt, [name]Charles[/name]’ mom, if we had named our son [name]Charles[/name]! Then everyone would have talked about her son [name]Charles[/name] all the time, and we would have gone through all that again. Better to not bring it all up again, I think.
[name]Charles[/name] died in the mid-70’s, and our son was born in the mid-80’s. Now so much time has gone by that I love the name [name]Charles[/name]. But it still doesn’t go with my last name.

Awe, there’s no need for thanks, [name]Josie[/name]! I’m just glad we could all help you out! And I know I can only speak for myself, but there’s no need for apologies! None at all! This is what Nameberry is for. :slight_smile: And you know what? I [name]DO[/name] think you story is sadly tragic, and it’s only normal for you to feel emotional about everything. If I was set on a name, and encountered even a rude server at a restaurant with the same name, that could be a deal breaker for me, so your reasoning definitely holds major weight in my book! Definitely!

You know, I have to laugh about my suggestion of [name]Josephine[/name], because as I’ve written here before, when I’m tired, I get the stooopids. :slight_smile: You could ask me what 1 + 1 is, and I’ll confidently tell you, “11.” So, yeah, just scratch [name]Josie[/name] from the list. :slight_smile:

I’m one of those people who thinks that everything happens for a reason, so on the bright side, maybe this happened because the [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Genny[/name] nicknames would have been inevitable, despite your efforts. You never know! :slight_smile:

Despite its popularity and my knee-jerk reactions to popular names, I still love [name]Annabelle[/name]/[name]Annabel[/name]. Then again, [name]Annabelle[/name] is ranked in the mid-100’s in the U.S., so it may be more popular where you are. (And I do understand your concerns with the name, and those are what matter.)

[name]Clementine[/name]: I [name]ADORE[/name] this, too, but if the song is in your head, it may not be the best name for you! Someone on this board once suggested [name]Cleo[/name] as a nickname, and I think [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name] is darling! :slight_smile: (I think [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Poppy[/name] is sweet, too, and you could still call her [name]Poppy[/name].)

[name]Mirabel[/name]: I love this, too, and can totally see it with a [name]Genevieve[/name].

[name]Juliet[/name]: You could even spell it [name]Juliette[/name] to follow [name]Genevieve[/name]'s French theme. I love [name]Juliet[/name], but if it reminds you of [name]Romeo[/name] and your studies, it’s probably not the best option for you.

[name]Esme[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Esme[/name], too (and its meaning), and can definitely see it with [name]Genevieve[/name].

[name]Cora[/name]: I love this name, too, and think it’s great with [name]Genevieve[/name].

[name]Delilah[/name]: I don’t think of the Plain White T’s (and to show how seriously uncool I am, I don’t know who they are), but I do think of an annoying radio host here in the U.S… She’s been married about 52 times, and loves dispensing marriage advice, which never fails to make me giggle. :slight_smile: She has the kind of voice that makes me twitch.

[name]Poppy[/name]: I think it’s so sweet, but with [name]Genevieve[/name], I agree that it’s too cutesy up front.

Some more:

[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]/[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]/[name]Mariel[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] Mummy’s [name]Delphine[/name] suggestion! :slight_smile:

Everything will work out! :slight_smile:

[name]Jill[/name], your [name]Penny[/name]/[name]Genny[/name] thing really made me laugh. I am just going to write down a list of my favorite names and take that with me to decide once they are born. So my list are:

[name]Clementine[/name]: I just love it so much! And [name]Cleo[/name] is an adorable nn, [name]Jill[/name].
[name]Mirabelle[/name]: Can’t get over how pretty this sounds
[name]Cecily[/name]: so cute, thanks mummyto3!
[name]Isadora[/name]: I don’t think I will use it but it is adorable!! Thanks again mummyto3
[name]Matilda[/name]: Thank you [name]Susan[/name], it’s a beautiful name and I was thrilled to find out it’s (almost) a type of [name]Poppy[/name]! [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name]. And sorry about [name]Charles[/name], that sounds really hard. But I agree that [name]Charles[/name] [name]Chesney[/name] doesn’t sound good anyway.

Being Australian, [name]Matilda[/name] has a lot of meaning for me but I’m not sure if that’s good or bad at the moment. I can’t get waltzing [name]Matilda[/name] out of my head!! These stupid songs that mark names!
Scarlettsmom, I love [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name], I’m glad you do to.

Frontrunners I think are [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Poppy[/name], and maybe [name]Esme[/name]. I really love [name]Esme[/name].

[name]Jill[/name], don’t worry about the [name]Josephine[/name] suggestion, I’m just flattered you like the name.

Thank you everyone, you really are so so so wonderful.

Also Mariaj, I like almost all your suggestions!
I agree that [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] are together,
Thanks again!

Misshouse, while I also hope that I am over it I don’t know if I ever will be. It’s hard to put into words the pain she caused.

I would never change ‘for her’ but I just don’t want to see her in a beautiful little girl.
If she knew I was pregnant/loved [name]Penelope[/name] maybe it would be a different story but as it is she won’t even know that she is to be an aunty.

I hope that this makes sense and doesn’t sound rude, I really do appreciate your opinion.
Thanks

I think either [name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Matilda[/name] would go well with [name]Genevieve[/name]. [name]Esme[/name] seems sort of…frail, I guess, stacked up against [name]Genevieve[/name]. To me, it needs a three syllable partner name, lovely though [name]Esme[/name] is.

It really does stink about your half-sister, and how she was such a shrew about the whole situation. I’m sorry that it cost you a name you loved; that sort of happened to my mom. She wanted to use [name]Susan[/name] (after her sister) as part of my name, since my aunt used [name]Carole[/name] as part of my cousin’s name. [name]Susan[/name] was out because it was the name of my father’s first wife. In retrospect, I wish she’d used it, since I’m the only one of my cousins without a first or middle name to honor a family member, but what can you do? Bad feelings are bad feelings, and you don’t want to force yourself into a name that you how have mixed feelings about.

What about making [name]Poppy[/name] short for something else? [name]Philippa[/name], perhaps? I’m sure if you look through the “P” names here, you might even find one you REALLY love! :slight_smile:

[name]Clementine[/name]: I really love [name]Clementine[/name], and think it’s perfect with [name]Genevieve[/name], too. :slight_smile: I love [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name].

[name]Mirabelle[/name]: I love it, too! I think [name]Mirabelle[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] is so, so pretty! You could call her [name]Mira[/name], [name]Miri[/name], or [name]Belle[/name], all of which I think are great with [name]Evie[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Cecily[/name]: Oh, I think this is darling, too!

[name]Isadora[/name]: Sweet…

[name]Matilda[/name]: Another great option (unless the Waltzing [name]Matilda[/name] issue bothers you too much, of course)!

[name]Esme[/name]: I love it, too!

I love each and every one of these names, and can’t wait to hear which name you choose for [name]Genevieve[/name]'s sister! You may have mentioned this before, but when are you due?

(And yes, I [name]LOVE[/name] your name!) :slight_smile:

Have a great day/night, [name]Josie[/name]! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name], I’m due on the 9th this month!
Very scary and exciting.

I will tell you what I decide as soon as I can.
Thanks again, glad you like the names. :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name] [name]Esme[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name]!
I had this really weird dream the other night. I think it’s because I’ve been spending too much time on Nameberry. This lady in my dream said to me, “Because you are married and could possibly get pregnant, it is a state law that you have to have three first and middle name combinations for a boy or a girl baby, and you have to let us know what they are immediately!”
“Uh”, I said, “Uh… how about [name]Genevieve[/name], uh, [name]Veronica[/name], or [name]Penelope[/name]?” Then I woke up before I came up with any middle names for girls or any boy name combos.
[name]Just[/name] wanted to tell you about my dream 'cause one of the names was [name]Genevieve[/name].
[name]Josie[/name], I too love, love your name [name]Josephine[/name]!

Wow! The 9th? I’m writing that down…We’ll all be thinking of you! (And PLEASE keep us posted, okay?) :slight_smile: