How "big" of an issue would you say this is name-wise?

My husband and I adore the name [name_m]Edward[/name_m] with the nickname [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], so much so that it is our #1 choice for our third son. We had initially ruled it out, but we threw it back on to the drawing board two days ago. Yesterday, I posted a question about the name [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and got a lot of feedback that really made me think: Is [name_m]Edward[/name_m] the right choice for our son?

At the moment, we think it is. We still have 17 days until the babies are here, but we would like to choose their names before they are born on [name_u]November[/name_u] 2. We really don’t like the nickname [name_m]Ed[/name_m], but we understand that it will most likely happen later on in life. However, I know two adult [name_m]Eddie[/name_m]'s who solely go by [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] (one is in his thirties and the other is in his forties). Is there hope for [name_m]Edward[/name_m] to be [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], or should we be absolutely prepared for [name_m]Ed[/name_m]?

Our runner-up name at the moment is [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] with the nickname [name_u]Sam[/name_u]. We also have [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] “[name_m]Nate[/name_m]” and [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]” on our list.

So, should we scratch [name_m]Edward[/name_m] off our list if we’re afraid of [name_m]Ed[/name_m], or should we go for it? This is not our final decision at the moment, but we are just wondering.

Big brothers are [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Evan[/name_u] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] Harner.

Thanks!

• [name_f]Jenna[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Will[/name_m], [name_m]Joel[/name_m], and Pumpkin Butt :slight_smile:

I actually think [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] is more common a nn for [name_m]Edward[/name_m] than [name_m]Ed[/name_m], BUT what if your son chooses [name_m]Ed[/name_m]? It’s likely to be [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], though, at least for the first 5-10 years and by that time you may have come around to [name_m]Ed[/name_m]. If it’s your favorite, go for it! (But, tbh, I much prefer [name_m]Samual[/name_m] and [name_u]Sam[/name_u] to [name_m]Edward[/name_m]. That’s just me, though!)

People tend to call you by what you prefer to go by. If you or the child state to not call you [name_m]Ed[/name_m] then it’s unlikely anyone will really call him that. If it helps my husband’s uncle is [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] ([name_m]Edward[/name_m]) and no one calls him [name_m]Ed[/name_m]. So I think if [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] is what you’ll call him that’s what people will call him. He may choose to go by [name_m]Ed[/name_m] later in life though so you might have to deal with that.

I think it is a lovely name. I don’t see many people calling him [name_m]Ed[/name_m] if you don’t like it. And even if they do, he will always be [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] to you, and that is all that matters x

I think go for it. [name_m]Ed[/name_m] might be the first thing someone thinks of but if he is introduced as [name_m]Eddie[/name_m] most people will revert to that without a problem. My name has what you would call an ‘inevitable nickname’, but I don’t get that because I never use it or introduce myself as it. I use a more unusual nickname with friends and it just sticks. The only person ever who hasn’t got it is an older lady who has a granddaughter who goes by that name, so she’s forgiven.

For the record, [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is one of my favourite boys names, but I like [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] too. Good luck!

I think you should pass. Your son may like [name_m]Ed[/name_m] and choose to be called [name_m]Ed[/name_m] when he is older instead of [name_m]Eddie[/name_m], kind of how [name_m]Tommy[/name_m]'s turn into [name_m]Tom[/name_m] and [name_u]Sammy[/name_u] becomes [name_u]Sam[/name_u]. It just sounds more mature.

But again he may not, however, you have to figure out if you are okay if one day your son says he would like to be called [name_m]Ed[/name_m] instead, or if you are at least okay with his friends calling him [name_m]Ed[/name_m]. A lot of nicknames kids get in school come from friends, not from parents, at least in my experience. Your son may have a different experience.

You are kind of playing a chance game and you can either luck out or lose out.

You can control what you nickname your child, but not what others do. It is utterly a myth to think we control nicknames.

[name_m]Edward[/name_m] is a good name. [name_m]Ward[/name_m] would be my nickname of choice.