How did you know it was "the one" for your child? (Charlotte)

I go back and forth between many names I like or get tired of, as I am sure many of you do. I am just curious, how did you know it was “the one” for your child? Was is the moment you and your spouse both finally loved the same thing? Or did you have to convince your spouse of “the one”?? It seems that no matter what other names I think of for a girl, every time I hear, see, or happen upon [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], it just gives me that happy butterflies heart flutter feeling. My husband also loves [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. Should we go with it? I am a believer in intuition, gut feelings, etc. Let me know how you knew!!! (and maybe when you announced if you care to share)

I had those same feelings you just described when we talked about [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]. We were just going through random names we both loved and pretending we were having twins. So it went like “[name_m]Damien[/name_m] & [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f], [name_m]Damien[/name_m] & [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_m]Damien[/name_m] & [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]” And then we both looked up at each other. He said “Oh that sounds really good together.” and I said “They’re sort of a perfect set aren’t they?” Then we both just sort of sat there saying [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] over and over and putting middle names with it. By the time we found a middle name set we liked with it, we just couldn’t think of any other name for this one. It was that stomach fluttering, tight chest feeling. We never announced it because it’s not the sort of name anyone in my family likes and I didn’t want to hear how awful everyone thought it was. We just told my mom, who loved it.

If you and your husband both love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and you both get that fluttery feeling and feel so happy like you described, why second guess yourself? Obviously you both love it. :slight_smile: Use it!

Thank you for sharing your story. Since we are still in the TTC stage, I think it will become a little more real down the road… I have just noticed that every time I see that name I get all giddy and just have a sweet feeling inside. It is a huge plus that my husband approves. The other name I love is [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], but he just doesn’t care for it because of his pronunciation of it. I recently had a student named [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], and although I enjoyed her name, I didn’t get the warm fuzzies. With [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], I have a strong association to a little girl who I taught at a daycare who was sweet, intelligent, and so delightful. I remember her little curls and she resembled me as a child… just couldn’t help falling in love with her name as well! I always associate the name to her, in a good way! It was sort of like a glimpse into the future. I think I will not be able to wait until the birth to decide/announce like many are doing these days. Again, thank you for sharing. I appreciate the advice for the future.

I think that feeling you describe is the sign. I had that feeling with the name [name_m]Liam[/name_m] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] but once I finally was pregnant the baby didn’t feel like a [name_m]Liam[/name_m]. We had [name_u]Noah[/name_u] chosen before the gender reveal. Once we found out he was a boy he was [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. We both loved the name and he couldn’t be anything other than [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. For my daughter I agonized over her name and my husband and I couldn’t agree on our top names. I think she has a nice name but I am still on the fence about it sometimes 3 years later. My third child I had a dream a month before I conceived that I would have a son and that his name is [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. Since I wasn’t even trying to conceive and we did find out we were having a son I went with it figuring he must have really wanted to be [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. It suits him quite well. I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and have thought of using as a middle name if we decided we wanted another child I think it is sweet, spunky and traditional and looks longer on paper but has 2 sweet short syllables so doesn’t require a nickname. I think it is one of the best of the girls names and wish you luck.

I wanted to add that we were talked out of a lot of names with our daughter. I would decide that it is THE name before announcing early. If you just ask opinions of the name someone is bound to have something to say. Definitely go with what you and your husband love and don’t worry about what any one else thinks:)

My mom heard my name on t.v and a light bulb went off in her head like, “that’s it!” She asked my dad what he thought and he loved it too.

I think [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous. If it gives you warm fuzzies, use it!

Greatly appreciate the feedback! Good to know that things can change when you become pregnant. Funny thing- I actually adore your daughter’s name, [name_f]Eliana[/name_f]!! Wow- that dream is really neat considering that [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] was a dream interpreter in the bible! Thanks for so many positive points on [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]- the only thing I dislike about it is the meaning… I have mostly found that it means free man… which isn’t terrible, perhaps “free” alone would be nicer for a girl. I think there is also a “feminine and petite” meaning. I like the option of [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] for a NN :).

I have found that is is really hard for me to keep my mouth shut with those closest to us, but I have no problem being secretive with most friends. [name_f]One[/name_f] thing I am struggling with is the chance that someone else uses it before us. We have a few friends pregnant with a girl as well as a good friend from college that I know also loves the name. I think it would honestly be really hard for me to still use it if someone else chooses it first. I would probably take it as a sign not to use it. It does feel pretty selfish for me to be concerned with them when I am not pregnant yet, but it is just something that crosses my mind time to time.

Thanks again!!! :slight_smile:

I came across [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] when I was watching the TV show Alias back in 2010, I think it was? I had come across [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], before, obviously–it’s not that rare of a name–but it never struck me until I was actually watching the show. For the past six years or so, I have really struggled with clinical depression and OCD, and I found that watching TV was one of the few things that allowed me the feeling of enjoyment or happiness, or really to feel anything. My depression sort of presented a warped sense of emotion–I could feel nothing, didn’t want to feel anything, but at the same time, I wanted to feel everything. It was a very sick and horrible place to be, but I think I’m finally coming out to the other side of it, thank God. Anyway, in the midst of this really dark time, I came across this one name that just sparkled and twinkled and completely won my heart. I still feel like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] is the most beautiful name in the world. For a while I wasn’t sure it was really it, but I’ve been massively in love with [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] since that day, and my love for it has only grown over the years–and it’s taken on a lot of meaning for me personally, besides just being some name I saw in some TV show… it honors my love of languages (and everything [name_m]French[/name_m]!), my love of [name_m]Jesus[/name_m], the relationship I’ve had with [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] (the meaning, “my God is a vow” is just so powerful, imo)… and my two favorite people in the whole world: a little girl in [name_u]Peru[/name_u] that I sponsor, whose name is [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], and my best friend, who was from [name_f]France[/name_f], who passed away in 2011.

I haven’t used it yet–I am not even in a relationship (or in a position to adopt) that I could use it yet. But it’s it. I can’t even imagine a world where I don’t end up with an [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] in the end, and when I think about it, it just gives me little butterflies. (I just hope I can talk any future husband of mine to go for it!)

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is lovely; it’s on my own list, and I adore [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] (and [name_f]Lola[/name_f]!) as a nn. It sounds like you may have a winner! It’s truly beautiful; do you have a MN in mind yet?

It was pretty much static, eyes locking, and warm fuzzies when DH and I landed on our daughter’s name. Of course, that was only a few weeks after we found out I was pregnant. When we found out gender at the ultrasound, there was no second guessing, though. They put her name right on the U/S pics :slight_smile: With the little guy who is currently baking, we surprisingly landed on a name just a couple months in. It wasn’t electric for me or anything, but then again, it’s a name that’s has spent the last 2 years marinating and growing on me. I always liked it, but would never have seriously considered it if DD had been a boy. I consider it a name that’s like a friendship that morphs into a romantic relationship :wink: Then again, little man is not actually here yet, so no birth certificates have been filled out and I suppose things could still change. I don’t see that happening, though!

ETA: I do get an overwhelming sense of the name just feeling “right” when we refer to the baby by the name we’ve chosen.

Wow- sounds like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] was a light in a dark time for you. I thank God you are on the other side of it, also. I feel that a relationship with [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] is essential to my happiness when dealing with dark times. The personal meaning to you is quite beautiful. I do hope you will be able to use it sooner rather than later! :wink:

Awww- I adore [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] as well. I taught both a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and a [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] at a daycare while in college, and I believe I gave a detailed story about that [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] in a PP above. Now I also remember watching The Frog [name_f]Princess[/name_f] years ago and hearing [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] for the first time and falling head over heels. [name_m]Just[/name_m] remembered that! Anyway, would love to use [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] as a nn for a little [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. Maybe you can help. We like both [name_f]Renae[/name_f] and [name_f]Louise[/name_f] for a MN. The problem with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] is that we have a little cousin who is [name_f]Charlee[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. It bothers me that it is so close, even though I love our name and it honors a different [name_f]Louise[/name_f] (my [name_f]MIL[/name_f]‘s mn) [name_f]Renae[/name_f] is a version of my mom’s mn. Her mn is [name_f]Rena[/name_f]’ (pronounces [name_f]Renee[/name_f])… She hated dealing with the accent mark over the years and wishes she were just [name_f]Rena[/name_f] or [name_f]Renee[/name_f] for a middle. Her mother wanted to honor my great aunt [name_f]Rena[/name_f], but liked the sound of [name_f]Renee[/name_f], so tried to do both! lol… So we like…

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Renae[/name_f] Gross
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] Gross

thank you for sharing! [name_m]Both[/name_m] experiences sound very special… Excited to see if you stick with that name or change your mind for your son :slight_smile: [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you have that “right” feeling! :slight_smile: Blessings to you and your bun in the oven.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is pretty i don’t like [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] at all the… But [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f] are really cute names… You should use it

[name_f]Rachel[/name_f],

[name_m]Both[/name_m] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] ([name_f]Renae[/name_f]?) and [name_f]Louise[/name_f] are very lovely! You could possibly use a variant of [name_f]Louise[/name_f] to make it less close to [name_f]Charlee[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]? Like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], or [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u]? I think the former is stunningly gorgeous, and the latter is just adorable! I prefer [name_f]Renee[/name_f] to [name_f]Renae[/name_f]–it doesn’t look as streamlined and beautiful to me. And if your mom always wished she were named [name_f]Renee[/name_f], I think that would be a very sweet and lovely nod to her. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f] is beautiful. I would love to see all of those options, and if you’re wanting to honor someone, I don’t think anyone should be able to make you feel like you shouldn’t use it–even if they already did. That being said, I can understand wanting to keep from using the same family name as everyone else. My grandmother was honored a lot by my family–her name was [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and there are [name_f]Jacquelyn[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], Jarylynn [name_f]Ruth[/name_f], [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f], and [name_f]Natalie[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] all in her honor–I loved her to pieces, but I didn’t want to be the one to use [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] again. So I’ve come up with other ways to honor her–[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] for a boy (as a [name_m]Christian[/name_m]–at least, I’m assuming you’re a [name_m]Christian[/name_m]?–maybe you can appreciate the reference to [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] and [name_m]Boaz[/name_m]? :)) and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] for a girl (the last gift she gave me before she was laid to rest was a lily). Maybe there’s something like that for [name_f]Louise[/name_f] that you could use? Or even your [name_f]MIL[/name_f]'s fn?

My husband and I are thinking about trying for a baby soon—ish, but we’ve had a favorite boy name picked out for awhile. I was in my Old Testament class year (before we got married) and we were reading about [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] and how he was a shepherd. And I thought, “Huh. [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]. That would be a nice name.” I ran it by my then soon-to-be hubby and he liked it too. It goes well with his family’s firstborn boy middle name [name_u]Ray[/name_u] and we like the overall meaning of [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] [name_u]Ray[/name_u] (shepherd king). It’s an allusion to [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] and to [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] [name_m]Christ[/name_m]. It’s also significant because we’re hoping that our firstborn son will grow up to be a leader and ‘shepherd’ the family. I had all those happy warm fuzzies when I began thinking about the name [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] and especially when my husband said he liked it as well.
I’m less enthused about any particular girl’s name. We’re currently leaning towards [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] [name_f]Cate[/name_f] for a girl and I really like it but I didn’t have any warm fuzzies or anything.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is lovely, btw! [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] would be adorable! :slight_smile:

my “the one” will be [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] for a girl someday hopefully. I just I swoon everytime I see it hopefully I will find a husband who loves it as much as me!

[name_u]Ashley[/name_u]- What great advice you give! I actually love [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. It reminds me of The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f], haha. I think I will run that by my hubby. Another idea is [name_f]Lucille[/name_f]- that would honor my great aunt [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Lucille[/name_f] who has recently passed. My [name_f]MIL[/name_f]'s first name is [name_f]Helen[/name_f]. I don’t really think the mom of the cousin ([name_f]Charlee[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]) in our family would be upset, but I would feel like I would want to ask her/tell her I realize it is similar… and I guess it is a bit of a pride/wanting to be unique issue as well. I think I just figured I would use [name_f]Louise[/name_f] with a different name?? Thank you for opening my eyes to [name_f]Renee[/name_f]. I have struggled with trying to honor her with a similar spelling in [name_f]Renae[/name_f], even though [name_f]Renee[/name_f] is obviously prettier. I agree with you, I think she would love that. All that said, I slightly prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] to [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f]. It seems to flow better somehow. YES- I am a [name_m]Christian[/name_m]! I really like the unique ways you have thought to honor your grandmother. I will keep thinking about it. Good thing there is TIME and sweet berries that give great advice! :slight_smile:

Edit- Oh my goodness- just dawned on me… I ADORE Louisa May Alcott… wow… Louisa may be a winner! thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

I actually taught a [name_m]Shepherd[/name_m] at a daycare I worked in a few years ago. I really like that name and name combo! What a winner! I am also a [name_m]Christian[/name_m], I really like the allusion to [name_m]Christ[/name_m]. Great meaning… Perhaps you are not finished on your search for a “warm fuzzies” girl name?? good luck- thank you for sharing!!