How do you introduce a new character?

I am struggling to introduce a new character and need some fresh ideas. I hope you can help :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s something I also struggle with at times🙂. For ideas, here are some examples of ways I’ve managed to introduce characters.

Example #1: One or more characters tries to start trouble with (or bothers, tries to steal from, etc.) another

Sometimes said character(s) will wind up being friendly, other times they are complete jerks. Either way, I find this to be one of the most effective ways of introducing new characters, especially those ones that get on other people’s nerves at least sometimes. When and how exactly we learn the new character’s name varies depending on the situation and people involved.

Example #2: MC saves (or just helps) the new character or vice versa

This is another favorite. If two people who don’t know each other end up in a situation where one helps the other (or they both help each other), likely words with be exchanged. How the resulting conversation goes depends on the characters involved, as does when we learn the new character’s name.

Example #3: Somebody else introduces them

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but essentially another (likely more minor) character brings the new character into contact with the MC.

Example #4: MC/New Character decides to strike up a conversation with [name_m]New[/name_m] Character/MC

Basically, one just goes over and starts talking to the other, whether or not the other wants company.

Example #5: MC does something to annoy the new character

This often ties in with example #4.

I’m likely forgetting some, so I’ll check back when I think of them. For now, I hope these come in handy🙂. [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to ask any questions that you may have or give feedback on how well I answered your question.

2 Likes

Thank you, this will help so much!

1 Like

You’re welcome🙂!