HOW DO YOU LIKE THE NAMES DAFFODIL, CASEB & VIOLET??????????

I am writing a story (that I REALLY REALLY want to get published!!!) and three of the semi-main character’s names are three sisters named [name]Daffodil[/name], Caseb, and [name]Violet[/name]. I made [name]Daffodil[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] the names of two of them because I really like flower names, but I have absolutely no idea where I got the name Caseb from. Either I heard it somewhere or i might’ve made it up, I’m not sure. TELL ME IF YOU LIKE THE NAME CASEB OR NOT!!! I WANT TO KNOW!!!

Write me back soon,
spazzygrl123

I like flower names but have never heard of Caseb. When I saw your post, I thought it was a misspelling of a boys name ([name]Caleb[/name]). It feels too masculine with [name]Daffodil[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] in my opinion. Have you considered [name]Jonquil[/name] i/o [name]Daffodil[/name]?

caseb’s not THAT bad :cry:

i don’t even know how to pronounce “jonquil” :?

I too thought “[name]Caleb[/name]? or [name]Casey[/name]?”. Then I thought of “casein” which is a milk protein. Caseb doesn’t sound like a name, let alone a girls’ name, next to [name]Daffodil[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]. If you had three names which were all out there or made up, maybe it’d fit. Why not another flower name, or a colour name (since [name]Violet[/name] can be either?). [name]Daffodil[/name]'s a pretty brave choice too but I’ve always felt that authors can get away with a lot, since you can make the name, the character and their life situation fit together in ways a parent can never expect.

And please, if you’re going to ask whether or not we like it and insist you want to know, we’re going to assume that you do actually want our opinions even if we don’t like it. We don’t mean it against YOU, we’re just doing what you asked.

I totally hate Caseb. Hey – you asked! I can’t figure out how to pronounce it, among just a few other concerns.

That said – if you love it for your character, use it. I would somehow weave into the story how it is said. Or picture for us the reaction of others (in your novel world) to the name. Has it colored your character’s experience of life to have this strange name? What is she like? Is she vividly different from her sisters, [name]Daffodil[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]? Are they conventional and pretty while she is – what? In what way is she so remarkably different?

I think [name]Scarlett[/name] was an unusual choice at the time [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Mitchell[/name] wrote Gone with the Wind. (I’m open to learning I’m wrong about this.) Now you can’t think of [name]Scarlett[/name] as anything but [name]Scarlett[/name]. I think if you come up with the right back story, you can pull off just about anything, any name, in your novel.

You might start with exploring why you chose this name and how you view the name. [name]Do[/name] you think it is – pretty, rebellious, withdrawn, intelligent, observant, outgoing, social, weird, clunky – what?

I, like the other posters, thought it was a typo of [name]Caleb[/name]. While I love [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Daffodil[/name] Cased seems too masculine near them. Would you like other flower names? I think [name]Orchid[/name], [name]Freesia[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Lotus[/name], [name]Clover[/name], or [name]Petunia[/name] Would be nice ones. [name]Hope[/name] these help!!!

There is a family of judges/politicians named “Casseb” in south texas. I have been told they are of Lebanese [name]Christian[/name] descent–so perhaps that’s the etymology of the name? Interesting with the flower girls–but not so strange-- if you like it and it helps describe the character.

Caseb looks and sounds like it’s supposed to be either [name]Caleb[/name] or [name]Casey[/name].

[name]Violet[/name]'s pretty standard.

[name]Daffodil[/name] is fine.

thx 4 the feedback :smiley:

Caseb sounds very made up. I, too, thought it was a typo for either [name]Caleb[/name] or [name]Casey[/name]. Not particularly attractive, IMHO. sorry!

I agree that I thought Caseb was a typo of [name]Caleb[/name] so it does look made up to me. I would also definitely assume that Caseb (if you were to keep this name) was a male character, and I don’t think the name fits with sisters [name]Daffodil[/name] and [name]Violet[/name]. We often talk about sibsets on Nameberry and since [name]Daffodil[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] are both floral names I would suggest you go with a third flower. What about [name]Magnolia[/name]?