How do you pronounce Amelia?

I saw some different opinions of how [name]Amelia[/name] should be pronounced on another post. I’ve always heard it as uh-MEEL-yah, and that’s how my niece pronounces it. But some people say it as four syllables. So I was just wondering, how do you pronounce it?

I’ve only ever heard it as uh-MEEL-yuh as well :slight_smile:

I’ve never understood the difference. To me, ‘a-MEE-lee-a’ and ‘a-MEAL-ya’ are exactly the same, except the second one is maybe said a bit faster. I’m saying them both out loud, and I still can’t see a difference. Same with na-[name]TAH[/name]-lee-a and na-[name]TAHL[/name]-ya, and JU-lee-a and JU-lya. I’d say definitely four syllables for [name]Amelia[/name], though, with the last two syllables just more smushed together than the first two.

I love this name, and pronounce it with four syllables (the British version, I like to call it, lol) “uh ME lee uh”.

[name]Alexis[/name]

uh MEEL ee uh. Four syllables, not three! And beautiful :slight_smile:

Agree totally! I’m in the UK though if that makes a difference - I’ve never heard it said with 3 syllables!

For me, [name]Amelia[/name] is a-MEEL-ya and [name]Emilia[/name] is uh-MEE-lee-uh. I like [name]Emilia[/name] better.

I prn it with 3, Uh-meel-yah.

I pronounce it [name]Ah[/name]-MEE-lia. My friend has a 10 month old named [name]Amelia[/name] and she complains that it gets pronounced incorrectly all the time…apparently half the people pronouncing it for the first time say “[name]Ah[/name]-[name]MAY[/name]-lia”

Where I live people say Uh-Mill-Ya, 3 syllables. The good old South. =) Although, like daisy451 said, [name]Emilia[/name] would be pronounced with 3 syllables, Eh-MEE-[name]Lee[/name]-ya

a-meel-yuh. I try to make the beginning an A, not a schwa, but if I hurry, that’s what it becomes.

I can make the distinction between that and a 4-syllable [name]Amelia[/name], but I never even try for 4 syllables.

This is weird, because with most other ia names, from [name]Julia[/name] to [name]Anastasia[/name], I definitely say ee-uh.

Uh-me-lee-uh. Uh-meel-yuh just sounds lazy to me for some reason.

uh-MEEL-ee-uh

[name]Emelia[/name] is eh-MEEL-ee-uh, not that you asked :wink: