How do you pronounce Emilia?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries,

I recently have started to like the name [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. That was until I found out that the “correct” pronunciation is quite close to that of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], which is a name I don’t like.

I’m just curious as to what is the most popular pronunciation of the name.

Thank you in advance. :slight_smile:

I do pronounce it very similar to [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. Instead of ah-meal-ya I say em-eel-ya.

But I assume that you could try to encourage another pronunciation if you wanted to.

Pretty much the same as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], I guess the first syllable is distinguishable but not by much.

Along with [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] it’s pretty big in the UK, as an alternative to [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] assumably. For that reason I just can’t get on board with it, it’s just trying to be something else, the way I see it (I’m probably biased in that I do like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and it’s a family name).

What where you previously saying - em-MILL-ee-ah? I do think that’s quite pretty. You probably could get away with it?

I know a girl named [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], and she pronounces it like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. But I guess the pronunciation could vary.

I say eh-MEEL-ee-ah/eh-MEEL-yah. It sounds much more dainty and airy to me than [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], but I suppose it’s much closer to [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] if you were thinking it was like [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-leah or something.

I pronounce it the same as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (like eh-MEEL-ee-ah).

Ditto this. This is a family name for me, but a few people I know thought it was [name_f]EM[/name_f]-i-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ah. I don’t like that prn as much, though.

I’ve always thought it was pronounced eh-MILL-ee-a, but I’ve never actually met anyone with that name so that’s just how I read it.

Thank you everyone for your feedback! :slight_smile:

Yep, that’s the way I was pronouncing it…I think here in Australia people would be more inclined to pronounce it that way, but I’m not 100% on it…I would only be using it as a middle name, so it wouldn’t be too much of a problem. It’s such a shame when you start to fall in love with a name and then realise you’ve been pronouncing it incorrectly.

I pronounce it like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], except instead of the Am- sound at the beginning, it’s [name_f]Em[/name_f]- . Like [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

eh-MEEL-ee-ah

I say it like [name_f]Emily[/name_f]-uh

Exactly how I pronounce [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], EH-MEE-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-[name_m]AH[/name_m].

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (which I really personally like, even if others find it pretentious). In high school there was an exchange student named [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], who pronounced her name the same as mine. It is my understanding that the pronunciations are close enough to be indistinguishable. The main difference between these two names is etymological/related to meaning, not pronunciation.

Eh-mee-lee-uh