How do you pronounce Helena?

Hell-LEN-uh

“Huh-lay-nuh”. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like [name_f]Elena[/name_f], just with an H in front of it.

1 Like

I alternate between HEH-lih-nuh/HEH-leh-nuh and Huh-LAY-nuh/Heh-LAY-nuh. The latter two pronunciations are easier to say to me- just rolls off the tongue better- but I prefer the first. The second one reminds me of horses, for some reason.

huh-LAY-nuh

Western US: huh-LAY-nuh

[name_f]Helena[/name_f] is one of my favorites! I say it HEL-LEH-NUH and I guess it seems like I’m in the minority but I don’t really like HEH-LAY-NUH. I like the nickname Hela to go with it. On the other hand I only like the name Helene pronounced HEH-LAYN.

I LOVE the Spanish pronunciation el EH nuh. In [name_f]English[/name_f] I would say hel ENN uh.

This is my grandma’s name and my friend’s name. Grandma is He-LEN-a ( e like in [name_f]Emily[/name_f]), friend pronounces is HEL-en-uh.
I think it’s one of those names that has many acceptable pronunciations depending on the region you in live/cultural background.
I think it’s pretty either way!

He-LEN-ah or He-LEN-uh

I say Huh-LAY-nuh but agree it’s pretty either way

I’ve known two HELL-in-nuhs and one huh-LAY-nuh so I tend to alternate between those!

Heh-leh-na. Like how @EJpuddlejumper pronounces her name, but with an H.

1 Like

Huh-lay-nuh

Hell-un-uh is the most common in the UK. I’ve also heard Hel-ay-nuh a few times. In Finland and other Nordic countries it’s pronounced Her-len-uh so it really just depends where you are in the world!

I pronounce it Hel-lane-uh and I am from the Midwest.

My name is [name_f]Helen[/name_f], so I always say it Hell-in-uh like [name_f]Helen[/name_f] with an uh sound at the end. I also like Huh-lay-nuh though., and have heard Heh-lee-nah.

Helena is one of the very few names with such a wide variety of pronounciation. It is on my list of forever names. (I just love collecting names). I vary my favourite pronounciation quite a bit.
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]-a
[name_f]Heleena[/name_f]
Helayna. All desribe how I would proboince it.
[name_f]Helene[/name_f] is definitely [name_f]Helaine[/name_f] for me.
I don’t think any pronounciation is right or wrong. [name_m]Just[/name_m] pick your favourite.

Huh-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-[name_m]Nuh[/name_m] is the one I hear the most. I tend to prefer that pronunciation, but Hell-Eh-[name_m]Nuh[/name_m] also sounds lovely!

Usually he-LAY-nah

Sometimes HELL-e-nah

With a [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand accent