How do you pronounce Helena?

I’ve heard several different pronunciations, but I’m wondering which is the most common among the nameberry community.

1 Like

I switch between Hel-uh-nuh and Hel-ay-nuh because I know several people with either this name or [name_f]Elena[/name_f] with one of these pronunciations.

2 Likes

I have an [name_f]English[/name_f] accent and say HELL-eh-nuh, which is the only version you tend to get where I live,

I already know this will be the least common on here but my preferred pronunciation is
Huh-LEE-nah. That’s how the Island of St. [name_f]Helena[/name_f] pronounces it as well.
I don’t mind the other pronunciations but I like the name [name_f]Lena[/name_f] and think it would be a cute nickname.

HEL-ehn-uh

HEL-eh-nuh in my head, but Hel-AY-nuh is probably more common where I live!

2 Likes

He-lay-an beautiful name!

1 Like

HELL-eh-nuh

Huh-LAY-nuh

I first read it like [name_f]Helen[/name_f]-a but then I met someone who says it he-LAY-na, which I think is spunkier and more my style. So that’s how I say it now because that’s what I prefer.

1 Like

I go back and forth between heh-LAY-nuh and helen-uh, but i usually use the first one.

HEL-un-uh instinctively, but the only person I know with the name pronounces it hel-AY-na

I say “heh-lay-na”.

Helen-uh or Hel-ay-nuh. Both are valid and I know people who use each variation. The former is my go-to just because the first [name_f]Helena[/name_f] I came across pronounced it that way!

I say hell-lane-na

1 Like

Helen-uh ([name_f]English[/name_f])

Huh-lay-nuh as that’s the one I prefer but sometimes I do say Hell-eh-nuh

Like [name_f]Helen[/name_f]-uh (hell-uh-nuh)

Huh-[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-nuh is the one i tend to go with

Hell-en-ah