How do you pronounce Imogen?

And what are your thoughts on this name?

It’s the latest on our list of potential names for Phoebe’s little sister! I’m only 16 weeks so we have plenty of time to decide but it’s a lot harder this time around!

3 Likes

USA [name_f]East[/name_f] [name_f]Coast[/name_f] (Midwest raised)

“Eem-oh-gin”

1 Like

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name!

I say “im-oh-jen” :blush:

[name_f]Southern[/name_f] US here

im-oh-gen but it usually comes out more like im-uh-gin. I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] are perfect for sisters!

1 Like

I sort of say it as Im-oh-jen - but the ‘oh’ sound isn’t a super strong OH sound - subtler, more like somewhere between oh and uh.

I like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] - it’s strong but sweet, familiar but distinctive

I say the middle syllable with a short ‘a’ sound. Im-a-gin, like the word imagine but with no stress on the A so it’s much more subtle. I’m not saying this is correct, just how I’ve realised I say it! I live in [name_f]England[/name_f], for a little accent context.

Outside of Nameberry and some TV, I’ve only heard Ima-Jean irl, so that would be my natural inclination. I’m in the [name_f]Southern[/name_f] US

A long term fave of mine - Im-oh-jin (where the “oh” as close as can be to being an “uh”, and the “Jin” is close to a “jun”, like “one”, Aussie). :cherry_blossom:

Imm-uh-gin.

[name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] name and pluperfect with [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. Together the set would have a gorgeous vibe - very [name_f]English[/name_f] thespian.

I like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]. Sort of love her but not quite so for now I just like her.

I’d say im-uh-gin. I heard it a few weeks ago on a little girl. (I knew about the name years before but that was the only time, maybe second time, I remember hearing it.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] would make such a sweet pair.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] make lovely sisters!!

I’m from the Eastern US, and I pronounce it kind of as ‘im-oh-jen’ or ‘im-uh-jen’.

[name_f]South[/name_f] [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f]
im-uh-gin

imm oh jen! She’s sweet but I always end up comparing her to my beloved Emmeline… I like [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] much more than [name_f]Immy[/name_f] myself, but she is a lovely name!

I think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is great with [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]! I say IM-uh-gen.

Exactly like what @Youssarian posted. [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]! :heartpulse:

I’d say IM-uh-jin, but if it were spelled [name_f]Imogene[/name_f] I’d probably guess im-uh-JEAN (I’m in the Western US)

1 Like

I’d say Ihm-uh-gin

I think [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] sound great together! While [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is not my favorite I do like the option of [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] as a nickname

[name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f] here I say im-uh-Jin

IH-muh-gin!

I love [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] together :two_hearts: