How do YOU pronounce Lucia?

See the results of this poll: How do YOU pronounce Lucia?

Respondents: 64 (This poll is closed)

• Loo-see-uh : 45 (70%)
  • Loo-sha : 9 (14%)
  • Loo-chi-uh : 9 (14%)
  • Other: 1 (2%)

Loo-see-ya :slight_smile:

I’ve only heard it pronounced Loo-sha, like the country of St. [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] in the Caribbean. It’s a favorite of mine too since I was a little kid, and I was introduced to the name by the country. So, it’s a bit hard to see it pronounced any other way besides Loo-sha.

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] is one of my favorite names! I pronounce it Loo-see-uh. I think there are several different pronunciations, but it shouldn’t be too hard to correct people.

I like it pronounced any of the ways, it is just personal preference. I like [name_f]Lu[/name_f]-sha the best. I love the nn “[name_f]Lu[/name_f]”

I’ve only ever met one [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] and her parents pronounce it Loo-chi-uh

There are multiple recognized pronunciations for this name as far as I know. I know a few and it depends on where they live. I would say Loo-see-ah

That’s a really pretty name! I would pronounce it loo-see-uh also! :slight_smile:

Loo-see-uh!

You could add an accent mark over the I to make it definitely pronounced loo-SEE-uh. Otherwise, it’s just a name that can be pronounced two different ways, which isn’t a very big deal either. Still, if it matters to you, add the accent mark.

Also, whoever said to drop the I doesn’t seem to have a huge grasp of the English language… there’s no way that that would give you the desired pronunciation.

Loo-see-uh is by far the most common pronunciation and when I see the name written that is how I assume it is pronounced unless I am informed otherwise, but my personal favorite pronunciation is Loo-chee-uh. I know several people with this name and some use the Loo-see-uh pronunciation while others use Loo-chee-uh. It doesn’t seem to cause much of an issue. I have only ever hear it pronounced Loo-shuh when referring to the country, never as the name of a person.

I know a Loo-see-uh. I think it depends on the person’s background - for instance, an Italian [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] would probably be Loo-chee-uh.

Thank you for all the feedback everyone!

I pronounce it Loo-see-ah, but DH pronouces it Loo-sha and I like both. I think both are fine, and when people pronounce it differently than you wanted you can just correct them.

I primarily use Loo-see-uh, but I really like Loo-sha since it would help avoid the [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] nn. Any of the pronunciations are really pretty.

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] in person (mostly Latinas). I think Luccia is more [name_f]Lu[/name_f]-chi-uh than [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

[name_f]Lu[/name_f]-see-ya or -lu-chi-ya. Dropping the I would in fact make it lu-ka.

loo-see-ah but if I had a surname to work with and it was Italian I would say Loo-chee-ah

I love loo see uh!

I pronounce it loo-see-uh, and I think it’s a lovely name.