How do you pronounce Saskia?

I originally assumed it was SASS-keeyuh but could it actually be Sas-KEEyuh? (Actually I originally read it as Saksia, haha.) I feel like the second way would be much easier to say.

I love [name]Saskia[/name]! I’ve only ever heard it said like SASS-kee-uh or SAHS-kee-ah/SAHS-kyah. sass-KEE-uh sounds weird to me, sorry!

1 Like

it is SAHS-kee-ah… But In Germany it’s ZAHS-kee-ah

I also say SAHS kee ah…I like that more than sahs KEE uh…

Pretty name :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in the UK and I say SASS-kee-ah, that’s definitely my favourite. I find sass-KEE-ah quite awkward to say!

[name]Saskia[/name] is a classic name that’s only ever pronounced SASS-kia as far as I know. Names where the emphasis lies the other way round are [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Aaliyah[/name] - maybe your familiarity of them made you wonder?

I speak from experience when it comes to pronouncing ‘[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]’ - it is my own name!
At least in my opinion, the correct way to pronounce it is:

SASSkiya

Although I do know someone called SAHSkiyah too.

Thank you! :sparkles:

1 Like

I have always said it as SASS-kia. Having the emphasis on the KEE feels very awkward to me, and I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way. Not a fan of the sauce-kia proununciation, personally.

I also used to read it as Saksia, lol.

Edit: Just saw this thread is from 2011 facepalm

I agree with everyone else - I know two Saskias and one’s SASS-ki-ya, the other’s SAHS-ki-ya. I tend to say it the first way. I’ve never heard it said sass-[name_f]KI[/name_f]-ya.

I knew a [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] in school and the emphasis was on the SAS. For context I’m in the UK.

Sass-keeuh

1 Like

Hey, my pronunciation is sahs-keeuh
(sus-key-ah) which I’ve been told is the dutch pronunciation

I know a girl who is SASS-keeuh, Its cool seeing other pronunciations :blush: :sparkles:

I know several women and girls with this name (it’s fairly popular over here), and they all pronounce it SAHS-kee-ah (or ZAZ-kee-ah, because the s is a bit softer). I honestly didn’t think there was another pronunciation.