How do you pronounce Simone?

This is a name that my husband and I both like but are unsure about due to pronunciation issues. We both had only heard it with a -moan- ending until recently when we met someone who says it with a -mon- ending.

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce it? I’m especially interested to hear from those who of you who may be fluent in [name_m]French[/name_m].

Also, what are your thoughts on the name??

Thanks!

sim-OWN

I love this name although I personally prefer [name_f]Simona[/name_f]!

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced [name_u]Si[/name_u]-moan, but I love that pronunciation. I think it’s feminine and classic, with an ethnic flair.

I’ve heard both -mon and -moan endings, but -moan is far more common here (Australia).

I don’t like it, because of the -moan thing…just not a nice sound, [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. :frowning:

[name_f]My[/name_f] sister in law is [name_u]Simone[/name_u], pronounced sim - OWN, everyone calls her Mony or Moan.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!
So my first language is english and I pronounce it Sih-moan. How to Pronounce Simone - PronounceNames.com - YouTube Like that.

But I also speak french (and have since I was 5 years old - so I’m pretty fluent). If I were saying it in french, I would say “See-mone” Not sure how to phonetically write the mone, but it wouldn’t be the mon from [name_m]Simon[/name_m] (Sigh-mon). It would be gentler, See-mohn) with the n being gentle. See-m-an (sorta - but only two syllables with the m more attached to the 2nd than the first).

(Canadian Perspective)

It sounds like how the other person we met pronounces her name which is our issue because we would say it with the moan ending but she will eventually be in [name_m]French[/name_m] immersion so I could see problems there.

Thank you!

For me the -moan ending is intuitive but I’ve also heard it with the -mon ending.

In English I say it sih-MOAN. I’m not fluent in [name_m]French[/name_m] by any means, but I am learning the language, and I looked it up on forvo.com because I was curious (and I had an inkling that [name_m]Simon[/name_m] was pronounced pretty similarly). Since there was only one person pronouncing for [name_m]French[/name_m], I can’t be sure that this is how it is universally among [name_m]French[/name_m] speakers, but it almost sounded like [name_m]Simon[/name_m] was SEE-moh(n) and [name_u]Simone[/name_u] was see-MUHN. Like with the addition of the “E” on the end, it dulls the other vowel’s sound. I’ve noticed the [name_m]French[/name_m] language seems to do this pretty frequently when transferring from masculine to feminine gender–anglais (ahn-GLAY) becomes anglaise (ahn-GLEYS… still slightly an “ay” sound, but it is much closer to a soft “E” sound instead.). It’s the same with le lion and la lionne (leh lee-oh(n) and la lee-uhn), francais and francaise (fran-say and fran-sehz), americain and americaine (ah-mare-ee-cah(n) and ah-mare-ee-kehn)–forgive the lack of accents, it’s really hard to do on the laptop I’m using. So it wouldn’t surprise me that from [name_m]Simon[/name_m] to [name_u]Simone[/name_u] it would do the same thing. I’m by no means an expert, though, so I wouldn’t take that for gold unless an actual [name_m]French[/name_m] speaker could confirm it.

Hey there :slight_smile:

I am [name_m]French[/name_m]-Canadian, so I have an accent compared to “[name_f]France[/name_f]-[name_m]French[/name_m]”, but here we pronounce it more like See-Munn. Most [name_m]French[/name_m] speaking Canadians (mostly Québec/[name_m]Ontario[/name_m]) would say it like this also. In [name_f]France[/name_f], they say it somewhere between See-Munn and See-[name_f]Mone[/name_f]. Not sure how to explain it, but it’s probably closer to See-Munn.

I say it sih-moan, but I’m Canadian and I find [name_m]French[/name_m]-Canadians say it see-moan.

I would pronounce it [name_u]Si[/name_u]-moan as well. It’s a nice name :slight_smile:

Couldn’t help but add my comments to this. I am 52 years old and this is my name. I have always been called [name_u]Si[/name_u]-mon not [name_u]Si[/name_u]-moan. People always call me [name_u]Si[/name_u]-moan and I really don’t like it as it is not my name. My parents called me [name_u]Simone[/name_u] as in [name_u]Simone[/name_u] de Beauvoir (the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation) and I am not [name_m]French[/name_m] but live in the UK. It has caused a lot of confusion so we shorten it to [name_m]Sim[/name_m] now sadly. Some family members still call me by my full name but not many. If it wasn’t for the confusion I would quite like my name…

see-moan or zhee-mohn… which are pretty much the same thing, except one has a more pronounced [name_m]French[/name_m] accent.

Seem-own … [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Simona[/name_f] better though!

I pronounce it Seem-on.

In [name_m]French[/name_m] I reckon it would be See-mon (with a silent -e), but in English-speaking countries it’s Sih-MOAN.