How do YOU pronounce Viola? (more)

VEE-o-la?
VIE-o-la?
vee-O-la?
vie-O-la?
And does it say flower, musical instrument, or Shakespearean character to you?
Thanks.

I guess I say it VIE-o-la, but I don’t really put much emphasis on any part.

And it says Shakespearean Character to me with just a dash of flower. Of course, part of that is because [name]Viola[/name] is probably my very favorite Shakespearean Character (such a strong female!) and Twelfth [name]Night[/name] is high up among my favorite plays of all time.

1 Like

Vie-o-la for me and says both flower and musical instrument in my mind.

I say Vie-OH-la. [name]Flower[/name] springs to mind before musical instrument.

xxxx

Me and DH both say [name]VI[/name]-O-LA.

My first instinct (in my head) is vee-OH-la like the instrument, but when I say it out loud it’s vi-oh-la.

VIE-o-la. It reminds me of a violin or the French word ‘voila’ and apparently it means ‘it violates’ in Spanish so I can’t say I’m a fan sorry:(

vee-O-la or VEE-o-la. I think of the instrument and the flower almost equally with a dash of [name]Shakespeare[/name]. I like this name.

I say [name]Vi[/name]-o-la, with a long I sound. I think of [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s [name]Viola[/name], as well as [name]Jane[/name] [name]Fonda[/name]'s [name]Viola[/name] Fields character in Monster-In-[name]Law[/name]. (Granted, not the sweetest character, but I thought that [name]Jane[/name] [name]Fonda[/name] was really elegant.)

I think it’s a beautiful name.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

The name is like [name]Violet[/name]. [name]Say[/name] [name]Violet[/name], but instead of the ‘et’ at the end, finish it with an ‘a’ instead. [name]Viola[/name]. It should sound the same except the ending.

I think some people, like myself, pronounce more on the second syllable. vie-OH-la. That’s incorrect, but perhaps a regional difference. It think I’ve heard it that way before, on tv, it might have been “Mama’s Family.” Or possibly some less cartoonish Southern family sitcom like “[name]Evening[/name] [name]Shade[/name].” I’m not from the South, but every so often a word slips in that I don’t know how “we” say it up [name]North[/name], that must be influenced by a lot of television.

I really like it. I say VIE-o-la, but I don’t put a huge amount of emphasis on the first syllable.

PS - I do like [name]Violet[/name] better, though.