How do you say Matthias?

See the results of this poll: How do you pronounce this name?

Respondents: 31 (This poll is closed)

• mah-THY-us ( mah-THIGH-us): 15 (48%)
  • mah-TEE-is: 10 (32%)
  • mah-TAY-is: 3 (10%)
  • mah-THAY-is: 0 (0%)
  • mah-THEE-is: 1 (3%)
  • MATH-ee-us: 2 (6%)

I love [name]Matthias[/name]. It’s a great alternative to the popular [name]Matthew[/name]. It’s pronounced “muh-thy-is” from the Bible but I believe the [name]German[/name] pronunciation is “mah-TEE-ahs”. I prefer the original Hebrew version. There is also a Welsh surname spelled [name]Mathias[/name].

this is a very old poll, but I’d still like more opinions. Thanks!

I would say Ma-THY-as, but Ma-TEE-as is a pronunciation I’ve heard too.

Whenever I see it here on Nameberry, I always say mah-TEE-is (us).

It’s pretty much my favorite boys’ name, and I pronounce it ma-TEE-as. I’m really not a fan of the thigh pronunciation. I also like the [name]Mattias[/name] spelling; it’s more simple and streamlined and makes my preferred pronunciation more intuitive.

I have a total crush on this name. I like it w/ the H, but Irisrose, I agree, that other spelling is nice too and lends itself to your desired pronunciation. my preferred pronunciation is “[name]Tay[/name]” in the middle, but I don’t know if that’s even a legit pronunciation! Any idea how best to spell the name for that pronunciation? I don’t want a crazy spelling either.

I can’t see how you can get the ‘tay’ sound from ‘tthias’… it doesn’t seem at all intuitive. But I looked on Behind the Name and there’s the Portuguese [name]Mateus[/name] or Matheus, Swedish [name]Matteus[/name], Greek [name]Matthaios[/name], and Biblical Latin [name]Mattheus[/name]. I think all of those are (or could be) pronounced mat-AY-us.