How important is a matching sibset?

We have a son named [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] and are deciding between two for our second boy:

1. [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] Embury
  2. [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] Embury

Both middles are family names. [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] and [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] are similar, whereas [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is quite different. [name_f]Do[/name_f] we pick [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] (my husband’s first name) to align with [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] (my father’s first name)? Or do we go for the more daring option of [name_u]Winter[/name_u] (a surname in my husband’s family)? Would love to know your thoughts!

I personally like [name_u]Winter[/name_u] better! But [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] may balance things better so you have a middle name from his side of the family and a middle name from your side of the family. Good luck!

Well, personally I don’t like word names and surname names (like winter), so I would choose [name_m]Aaron[/name_m]. However, I don’t think that sibling names should match. Siblings are different people, so are their names. Personally, I think that what matters is that the parents like the name. Since both names are connected to family and are of high importance for you and your husband, I suggest that you choose the name you like most regardless of the fact that it does or doesn’t match. And even if you care very much about it, it’s a middle name so your children won’t use them for much time.

Good luck !

Both are lovely, but I think [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is particularly dashing. I don’t think sibling names need to match in terms of middles at all.

[name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] is marvelous! I don’t think siblings’ names need to sound pretty together. A lot of people on Nameberry act like “matching sibsets” are a requirement, but it’s really just a preference. I’ve never heard non-name nerds discuss how well siblings’ names go together.

I think first names should fit together but middle names as always are a chance to be a bit different. I like [name_u]Winter[/name_u] but I think [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] might have more significance for you. I think you have a lovely name either way so just choose the one that makes you smile the most!

Thanks for your feedback! [name_f]Happy[/name_f] to hear that middle names don’t necessarily need to match. Ironically, my husband prefers [name_u]Winter[/name_u] over his name [name_m]Aaron[/name_m].

I don’t think siblings need to match, especially with middle names. Although I do like siblings names to flow well together and have similar styles.

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m] flow so well together! And both [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Aaron[/name_m] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Winter[/name_u] are wonderful together.