How long did your baby fit into clothing sizes?

How long did your baby fit into each clothing size?

Depends on the brand a bit but my baby wore newborn clothes for maybe 3 weeks. 0-3m until maybe 2.5 months. And unless she slows down the 3-6m sizes wont make it to 6m thats for sure. She was about 25 percentile weight and 75 percentile height at the last checkup.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering about others experiences!

1 Like

That sounds about right for my little boy, too! He was 8lbs at birth and I donā€™t think he fit very many newborn items for very long at all.

The baby size he stayed in for the longest was 3-6 months, for around 3 months. I swear I was always either ordering him new sizes or digging through hand-me-downs to find what he needed.

Iā€™ve been very grateful that his growth has slowed down so much in these toddler years! (I wonder if a big part of it is yeah they donā€™t grow so fast but also the fact that they donā€™t wear onesies anymore. Shirts and pants get more mileage, imo) Donā€™t get me wrong, you still have to buy stuff, but not nearly as often as that first year! [name_f]My[/name_f] kid just turned 2 and has been in the same size for nearly a year. His pants are starting to look like capris so heā€™ll need bigger pants very soon. He is in a high percentile for height and about average for weight.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter was born 6lb 11oz and 50cm long. She wore newborn for a month, 0-3months till 4months old. 3-6month clothing till about 7-8 months and 6-9months until she was at least a year. Now at 15months sheā€™s wearing mainly 9-12 month clothing but still a lot of the 6-9month leggings, dresses and cardigans etc- just not anything with feet attached. She is tall for her age but very slim so anything more than 6-9months in terms of trousers or leggings/shorts just fall straight off when she runs.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is 10 months old now!

She wore newborn sizes for about 6 weeks (we had a lot of trouble getting her to gain weight at first).

0-3 until 3months (except she got too tall for the footie sleepers a little sooner)
3-6 until about 5 months
6-9 months until about 8 months (except pants)

Currently still wearing 6-9 month pants (theyā€™re a bit short but the 12 month fall down). 12 month tops and sleepers. I imagine by her birthday sheā€™ll be moving into some 18m sizes at least for length. Sheā€™s consistently been in the 75th percentile for height and gradually climbing up to a healthy weight.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] newest little one will be 4 months in a few days. She already fits in 9 month clothing. Still can wear some 6 month but long outgrew 3 month. Sheā€™s measured at the 99th percentile in height since she was born :eyes:

@whatchamacallit This makes me feel better! [name_f]My[/name_f] kids are 95th-98th percentile babies and the littlest (9 months) is in 18 month clothes. [name_f]My[/name_f] 5 year old is bigger than his older brother and they wear the same size. Iā€™m wondering how soon the baby will catch up to the 2 year old and they will share a wardrobe like the boys do!

1 Like

My boys started out tiny as premies but soon caught up and have always been in the top 90s in height. They wear 5T at 3 yrs. I still was not expecting this with Iris for some reason. I guess I assumed she would be smaller since sheā€™s a girl but nope! Doctor says sheā€™s perfect, just a very tall girl. Sheā€™s been in the 80+ percentile in weight too so big baby over all.
I wouldnt be surprised if shes in 18 months by age 9 months too.

1 Like

I found it depends on the brand of clothing and also the item.
[name_f]My[/name_f] little ones tend to outgrow the torso of clothes before the length in legs. Items like t shirts and shorts in a size 12m or 2 year fit baby for ever and would fit baby at 6 months as well as 3 yr old. Body suits/onsies were not too bad either as they were fine a bit loose and you could use with a snap extender when they got bigger.

Things like sleepers/coveralls had relatively shorter use as the fit wasnā€™t as forgiving and we had to move to the next size. Also sometimes the fit was awkward as I mentioned they would need a bigger size for torso length however the legs would be slightly longer than needed.

Iā€™m anticipating my LO to skip the newborn clothes phase, as I did and my parents had to go out after I was born to buy me a whole new wardrobe because all my mum received as gifts was newborn sizes (I was well over 9lbs).

Most babies in my family are 9lbs+ so we start right at 0-3 months usually :sweat_smile: Also, both S/O and I are over 6 feet tall so we feel like LO will be very tall as well. Iā€™m 6ā€™1 and S/O is just under 6ā€™2.

2 Likes

Generally speaking as each brand varies slightly. But my 1st LO was in the 15% most of her first year and she wore newborn size until about 3/4 month then she wore 0-3 month size until she was 5 months then around 6 months old she started to catch up and quickly outgrew/skipped 3 month clothes and grew into 6 months. Then from there on she wore pretty much the size of clothing labeled for her age.

My 2nd LO was 6lbs 5oz and has been hanging around the 2nd percentile, she wore preemie size for the 1st month. Then wore newborn size until 4/5 months. Then 0/3 month clothes until about 8 months. And now at 9 months she starting to outgrown almost all of her 0/3 month stuff and is wearing 3/6 month clothes

My first LO is now 2.5 and she is 50% for height and 75% for weight and wears 3t/4t, so I expect her little sister will make up some ground as well when she gets a little older.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter was 6 pounds 8 oz at birth and I was really surprised at how everyone said she was tiny! There must be some really big babies out thereā€¦ :joy:

2 Likes

There really must be! We had some iugr concerns with her and they were predicting sheā€™d weigh about 4 lbs so I was thrilled when they said she was 6 lbs I thought she looked so big!

1 Like

Neither of mine fit into newborn clothes ever. Haha! 9lb5 and 11lb2, both very long babies. [name_f]My[/name_f] son was in 3-6 month clothes at 2 WEEKS old. I learned to buy a size up for the next season hoping clothes would last longer so I wasnā€™t forever buying new clothes. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter has only just slowed down with the growing at age 6.

2 Likes

It differs a little from brand to brand, but my 6 lb 11 oz-at-birth daughter is about on track with clothing sizes. Sheā€™s almost 9 months and is at the end of her 6 month clothes; sheā€™s wearing mostly 6-9 and 9 and I need to swap everything out to pack away the 6 month stuff.

I actually find onesies stretch a bit so tend to fit longer than they ā€œshould.ā€ As others have said, footie sleepers seem to size out first. Leggings/pants last awhile. I have one ridiculous pair of 18-month jeans that fit both my boys past 2 years old :smile:

Congratulations, by the way! If there was a birth announcement, I missed it! What did you name her?

1 Like

Iā€™ve had many different experiences. Some of my kids were the ā€˜size upā€™ each month consistently (moving up every three months) until around 18/24 months. Some have been on the mark with the age=size on clothing tag.
It really depends on your child, the brand, and what type of clothing item it is. Something with feet will get too small when baby grows any taller. Dresses and skirts can be worn a while.

Whatever you do- make sure you put all the old clothing size away before moving on to the next one! Itā€™s most frustrating to take out the clothes again for another child and not have all the right items in the bin because they stuck around in the drawer or the laundry when it was placed in the attic!!

3 Likes

I was 10 days early and weighed 9lbs 13oz, my sister was 15 days early and weighed 9lbs 9oz :joy::joy::joy: and there was still one cousin who outweighed us at birth at 10lbs 6oz :joy:

Iā€™ve just come to the conclusion mine will not be a small baby!

1 Like

Thanks! We named her [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] :heart:

2 Likes

Aw, pretty! :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter was in preemie for about a month, newborn for 1.5 months ish, currently in 0-3 at 4 months old.

She weighed 5lbs9oz at birth and dropped nearly a pound her first week. We struggled a lot with weightā€¦