How many Hazels do you know?

We’re in the Southeast US and while personally the only Hazels I’ve met have been elderly women. I’ve been talking to my brother who has a toddler and he knows of a handful of [name_m]Little[/name_m] Hazels.

It’s definitely trending up so I think we’re going to bump it down on our list and have to really think if we want to use it.

Thanks for the input!

I know 3 little Hazels. I do think it is popular for a reason though, it is classic yet spunky.

1 Like

I know 2 Hazels my great grandmother and my friends daughter!

I know 1 [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] in her 30’s 1 [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] who is 90 and 4 [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]’s under 2

I’ve only ever known 2 in real life, one was in my class at school so would be 24 now, and one was my 90+ year old next door neighbour.

1 Like

I know none.

I actually don’t know any!

I don’t know any
What a lovely name

I know 1 [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] who is 5. I dont know many children, as we are just now starting to have kids. Our area is a popular young family area though and she’s the only one in our neighborhood that I know of. If you are in BC (other provinces in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] likely have this too) you can look up the local name popularity and trend over the past 50 years or so via the government website.

1 Like

I know one. She’s two or three.

I’ve never met one! I love the name.

3 all 3 and under. Also it’s on everyone’s baby list along w juniper.

I don’t know any Hazels! I see it suggested here on Nameberry but I don’t believe I’ve ever met one.

I’m in the Midwest and know quite a few young kids, and while I know multiple Evelyns, Charlottes, Margarets, Vivis, Emmas… I only know one little [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], who’s about 2.

I only know one [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (around 12 or 13). I’m in the Midwest US

In my life I’ve only ever met three, all adults, so I wouldn’t say it’s common where I live (U

Personally, I only know of one, and she’s about 10? I think it’s lovely. :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]! It’s on my own list. I only know of one [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] (a former coworker’s daughter), but I don’t know that I’ve ever actually MET her in real life, and [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is her nn (her full name I’m not 100% sure of, but is a bit of a froufrou extension of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]; think something like Hazelina or Hazelette or Hazeliana or Hazelie…). I met a sweet little old lady named [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], too, when I worked in fast food; she hated her name and could not conceive how it was becoming stylish again. :wink:

I would not be concerned about [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]'s popularity personally. Not sure which state or country you’re in, but [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] ranked 42 in the US last year. Which seems HIGH, right? But when you do the math, it’s nowhere near what it seems. There were 4,916 Hazels born last year. If you divide that by 50 states, you’re down to about 98 born per state each year. If you divide that by the average number of counties (which is 59 per state–some have as few as 3, and others as many as 250+, so it’s going to vary, but 59 is the average per state), then you’re down to 1.66. So even if you round that up to 2 Hazels born each year per county, that’s honestly not that much? When I’ve done the calculations before, generally it seems like there’s about 20ish public schools per county, not to mention Catholic schools, charter schools, homeschooled kids, [name_u]Christian[/name_u]-but-not-Catholic private schools, secular private schools, boarding schools, military schools, etc., etc. So honestly even if [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] continues at the popularity she’s at, you’re not even guaranteed that there will be another [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] in your child’s school district, although it could happen for sure. The equivalent of [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] in 1988 is around [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u] or [name_f]April[/name_f]. Familiar for sure, yeah? But not [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], or [name_f]Amanda[/name_f].

If it came down to it, I’d have no qualms about using [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], personally? But popularity doesn’t mean nearly as much to me as the average berry, so maybe I’m not much to go on.

Good luck!

6 Likes

I’ve never met or heard of a [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], not even a friend of a friend or an actress in movies that I’ve liked. I’ve never thought of it as a common name because of this, so I wouldn’t hesitate at all to use it. (I live in the Midwestern U.S.)