How many names are too many?

Hi!!

I have been creating a list of names in my notes (as I’m sure many of you all do as well) and it’s getting soooo long! I was just wondering how many names I should have before I gets to that point of ‘too many’. I have about 38 names/combos on my girls’ list, and 35 on my boys’. I would love your opinion on this matter, thanks!

1 Like

For just a list there is no limit! I have over 300 names for just my girls and same for my boys, I’ve seen people with more than 1,000 names! That’s what’s fun about making name list, there is no limit!

6 Likes

I really don’t think it matters how many names on your list. It is just your list after all. I personally add and subtract from my list all the time. I believe I’m around 20ish names for both sexes. I came to realize I only wanted to keep names on my list that I actually would consider using rather than names I just like. But that’s just me! Its all up to you and your feelings toward your list.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a limit for a list! Mine has hundreds of names on it.

If you were actually trying to name a baby, I would try to gradually narrow down your “realistic choices” list, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a separate, longer list of all the names you like!

7 Likes

I’m the same way! You can never have enough names! I have about 50 on my girls list & 35 on my boys list + a “names I love but wont be using” lol

1 Like

Thank you everyone! This is great insight! I’m haven’t even thought about actually having children right now, but am just a true name nerd!

1 Like

I think if you’re just collecting names, your lists can be as long as your like. You could consider having longlists (any amount of names) and then shortlists (maybe of 5, 10 or 15 names?) if you feel a bit worried about having too many

1 Like

I think I have between 300 and 400 names on my list, so you’re good!

1 Like

If you are ever planning on having children in the future, I say the longer the list the better. Because once you actually have to compromise with a partner, many of your “shortlist” names may be crossed off simply because your partner doesn’t like them, and that’s when it’s good to be able to go through a longer list where there is bound to be more overlap.

2 Likes

Honestly for me no limit

I have 21 combinations then just random names that I love which is very long honestly I think it’s good to collect names treasure them so you don’t loose them which sometimes happens. I especially believe this if you plan to have children in the future the more names the better

2 Likes

I don’t think anything is too much. However many names you can come up with work!

1 Like