How many nn do you have?

I had lots of nicknames as a kid but now I just go by my full name most of the time, only my family and a few friends who’ve known me since school call me by a nickname.

1 Like

I changed my legal name from one I hated to one I loved (and obviously chose). I go by that but primarily a nickname ([name_m]Jack[/name_m]) that I also chose. No one, and I mean not even family, are allowed to call me the name I was assigned at birth.

1 Like

I only go by my legal first name (the name my parents chose). People have tried to give me nicknames in the past, but they never stick.

1 Like

I go by my legal first name, which was originally just a nickname but I changed it legally due to pronunciation issues. It was the nickname my parents intended, but not the full name they intended. I still go by my original, full name sometimes (socially), but it’s no longer my legal name. Because my new legal first name (the nickname) is so easy, I don’t use any other nicknames.

I chose,
‘my legal first name’
‘the name my parents intended’
‘a name i chose for myself’
and
‘a nickname’

in the poll which I thought might be hella confusing without an explanation!

2 Likes

My name is [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. It’s so short I’ve never had any nicknames. I always wished I had fun nicknames like the other kids so I plan to give our kids names that can have at least one nickname option.

2 Likes

I only go by my legal name when I don’t know someone. If you do know me then you know the nn that my whole family and friends call me by, and if you’re my youngest sibling then he knows me by another nn that’s totally unrelated to my first nn. Essentially I go by my main nn all the time and my siblings have personal nn’s for me.:blush:

1 Like

I have too many effing nicknames to count — [name_m]Booth[/name_m] from my dead name & chosen name.

1 Like

I have a TON of nicknames (as tends to happen with [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]), but I primarily go by [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], so much so that [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] hardly even feels like my name anymore :sweat_smile: Sometimes my boyfriend calls me [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and it feels more like a nickname than [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]!

1 Like

I go by [name_f]Beth[/name_f] mainly, sometimes [name_f]Bea[/name_f]. Though I use my full given name in work settings

1 Like

With family, it’s usually my 1st name (a variant of [name_f]Jamila[/name_f]), and sometimes random pet names, or family specific nns (Zimmy/Zim, [name_u]Jem[/name_u]) especially from my mum.

With most friends and for the past few years I’ve started to introduce myself as [name_m]Jam[/name_m]. I love my full name, but I think it’s more me, so I’ve run with it.

Some friends also call me other nns ([name_f]Jami[/name_f], [name_u]Jammie[/name_u] Dodger).

1 Like