How much would 'BS' initials bother you? POLL

See the results of this poll: Initials BS

Respondents: 87 (This poll is closed)

• No way! : 26 (30%)
  • No big deal!: 61 (70%)

I’d be concerned about teasing in school, however, my dad’s initials are B.S. and he said he was never mocked in school for it, and that no one drew any attention to it. I think it depends more on how comfortable you are with it, but, I don’t think B.S. will cause too many issues if you have a middle name to divert from that. [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] are also my favourites for a combo rather than [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], they fit together nicely, and initials are only a minor detail. Chances are, no one will notice.

My husband actually has the initials BS as well, and I don’t think he has ever cared. But girls are more sensitive about these things, I know.

I do not think it’s a big deal at all. However, I will say that I prefer the name [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] for a sister [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f].

I admit it would bother me a tiny bit (because I like nice initials) but not enough to make me drop THE name. If it bothers your [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], she can always use her middle initial anytime initials come up. I doubt anyone would think “bs” if they saw something like BRS or BES instead.

I have those initials, and it’s never been an issue. I choose to write BCS whenever I need to initial things.

Then again a family member is PMS so she initials with PS.

I think BS is far, far preferable to SS (given the Nazi connection). I feel your pain, we have an S surname and probably won’t do either BS or SS, unless there were absolutely no other names we both liked enough to use. [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] and [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] are both lovely fn choices though!

Name-wise, I do prefer [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] to [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]. But with that being said, I don’t think BS is a big deal. Initials never really matter too much, I don’t think. But get this - I had a character once whose initials were BMS. BS if you take first and last name. BM if you do first and middle (like bowel movement). And MS if you do middle and last (multiple sclerosis). So his were just a bad combination!

I think that I would avoid it if possible, but if it were a family name, I would just go for it. However, since you have other options on the table I would pick the one that doesn’t have this glaring flaw! For me, if my one favorite name result in initials like BJ or BS or a spelled out word like FAT, I might still do it, if the name was so so perfect to me & I couldn’t come up with anything better, but if I had a runner-up without initial issues I would go for that!

I like [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] better with [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] - and while I don’t think BS is a deal-breaker alone, I wouldn’t really want my initials to be BS so that probably says something!

I think the initials BS would be fine, i went to school with a girl whose initials were [name_m]BO[/name_m]. That’s much worse in my opinion.

I love the name [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], and it goes better with [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. However, if you were to go with [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], I do think the initials would be a problem. As a pp said, not a deal breaker, but a huge problem indeed.

She could always go by all three initials - e.g. if she was [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] S., she could go by BPS. [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] are darling together!

Famous people that have the initials BS: Britney Spears, Barbra Streisand, Blake Shelton, Bruce Springsteen, Ben Stiller, Bob Seger… It doesn’t hurt them any. I doubt most people have ever realized these people have the initials BS. So I don’t think it’s an issue.

My dad’s initials are DAD and he still resents it. Teasing is common and I think you should go with [name_f]Susannah[/name_f].

To be honest, kids won’t know her initials are BS unless she has to sign something with her initials or something. [name_m]Little[/name_m] kids also shouldn’t know what BS even is, and most of them don’t. The older a kid gets, the less likely they are to pick on someone for something so trivial, or see initials, really.

That being said, please ask family and friends to avoid monogrammed gifts, unless you have an easy-going sense of humor.

[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] go so much better than [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], so I vote for [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Susannah[/name_f].

If BS really bugs you, try [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] Zusannah/Zuzannah?

Your dad was born to be a dad

This is an old thread, but I wanted to let y’all know that, in the midst of deciding between [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f], we had an open house at [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]'s school, and, lo-and-behold, they were signing everything with their initials! They even had a project on the wall which [name_m]JUST[/name_m] consisted of their first and last initials glued with jewels. I kept thinking how much it would bother me for my poor kid to have ‘BS’ up there for all to see and snicker at! So we went with [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to share that for all who say they won’t ever use initials!

I don’t think it will matter actually. I’ve known girls with a I.T. BS, and a few BJ.

My husband’s initials are BS not including his middle initial. I don’t think he had any problems growing up.