How popular is Ivy going to be?

[name]Hi[/name] Berries!
I haven’t posted in a while (with work starting back up, I’ve been insanely busy)…

My hubby and I have recently started TTC and we finally had agreed on a girls name!!! (Which for us has been tough…). We both really love [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], and have for a few months now. [name]Katherine[/name] for my sister, and [name]Ivy[/name] for so many reasons! We both love that it is relatively uncommon, short (so she won’t have a nickname), easy to spell, easy to pronounce (I’m a speech pathologist), flows well with our last name, and is floral/nature-y - which I love. But, I have been reading many of the posts in the Girls’ Names boards, and it seems like [name]Ivy[/name] is popping up EVERYWHERE!!!

I’ve read some comments that is is trendy and bound to be uber-popular. [name]Do[/name] you agree? [name]Do[/name] you think it will be the next [name]Bella[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Sophia[/name] etc.? I have a beautiful classic name, but it is one of the most common names in the US. I always went by my first name/nickname and last initial or last name - which I hated. My husband and I want to give our children names that are easy enough to pronounce/spell etc. and are not too out-there but, aren’t overly popular to avoid the last name/last initial thing.

So, what do you think? Is [name]Ivy[/name] classic and will it remain out of the top 100, or is it destined to be an over-used name, and are we back to the drawing board?

Thanks in advance! You berries are wonderful!!! :smiley:

Eliza9

I was considering [name]Ivy[/name] but stopped as I predict it will be top 100 in the next 2 years. It’s going to be the “[name]Violet[/name]” for people who love [name]Ava[/name] but think it is over used. However because of it’s closeness to [name]Ava[/name] in sound I think it will become more popular than [name]Violet[/name].

I have only met one [name]Ivy[/name] ( I am a school teacher). It is a very pretty name, and one of my favorite “nature” names. That being said, I know nature names are on the I don’t see it becoming as popular as [name]Ava[/name]. I think [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is beautiful! We are looking at the name [name]Elin[/name] for our daughter, for many of the same reasons- short, simple with no nicknames, not popular (yet)- we are wondering about the same thing- will it become trendy??

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Eliza[/name]!

Let me just say that I love [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] and I think it is a great name for your future daughter. I wanted to point out that I don’t consider [name]Ivy[/name] a classic in the same sense that traditional names like [name]Anne[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], and [name]Mary[/name] are. Rather, I liken it to the vintage set of names that are just now enjoying a resurgence, like [name]Agatha[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] - [name]Charlotte[/name] has really enjoyed a coming-of-age, so to speak. Specifically, [name]Ivy[/name] is one in a set of vintage nature names that is coming back on the scene, namely because of celebrity parents choosing such names for their children - [name]Hazel[/name] was chosen by [name]Julia[/name] [name]Roberts[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] was chosen by [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name]. [name]Roberts[/name]’ [name]Hazel[/name] was born at the end of 2004, when [name]Hazel[/name] was #681 on the SSA list of popular names. Today, that name is #294, which is comparable to names like [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Angelica[/name], and [name]Heidi[/name]. In the case of [name]Hazel[/name], I’d say the name has faced a rather slow climb to the top, and it’s strong, vintage vibe is a sharp contrast to the more flouncy, feminine names popular today - [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Emma[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Garner[/name]'s [name]Violet[/name] was born at the end of 2005, when the name was already #372 on the SSA list, dropping from #739 just five years earlier. Today, the name is #141, which is comparable to names like [name]Piper[/name], [name]Keira[/name], and [name]Melissa[/name]. In the case of [name]Violet[/name], I’d say the name has enjoyed a quicker drop to the top, but it obviously still has a ways to go. [name]Violet[/name], however, has a more romantic, elegant, feminine feel that, though different, is more in keeping with the [name]Sophia[/name]'s and [name]Olivia[/name]'s very popular today. V’s also seem to be a hot topic, so there’s that to consider as well.

Now, let’s return to the case of [name]Ivy[/name]. [name]Ivy[/name] is a vintage nature name with a strong consonant - V - that sets it apart from a very popular natural favorite, [name]Lily[/name], which is comparably floaty and light. [name]Ivy[/name] has a much stronger, harsher image to it, as well, bringing on images of poison ivy and the cold winter season, a la “The [name]Holly[/name] and the [name]Ivy[/name].” Now, none of this is meant to make you think less of the name, because I think it is truly a wonderful, original choice - I’m merely pointing out some things about the name. Now, let’s talk about popularity. Today, [name]Ivy[/name] is ranked at #320 on the SSA list, which is actually a full 22 spots behind where it was last year (#298). It’s comparable to names like [name]Paisley[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], and [name]Juliet[/name], which might seem shocking because [name]Emerson[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] are also rather “trendy” on NB. However, which names there are going to climb? [name]Emerson[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name], not [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Paisley[/name] - if you ask me. [name]Emerson[/name] fits into that unisex, surname trend that is popular now, and it has the [name]Emmy[/name] nickname that everyone likes nowadays. [name]Juliet[/name] is a romantic twist on a classic, [name]Julia[/name], that is a nice alternative to [name]Charlotte[/name] and a softer choice than [name]Violet[/name]. Okay, back to [name]Ivy[/name]. Ten years ago, in 2000, [name]Ivy[/name] was ranked #352, which isn’t at all far from where it is now. In fact, I’m guessing if we did an analysis of [name]Ivy[/name]'s popularity over the last ten years, we wouldn’t find anything significant - the name has remained largely in the 300s for ten years, achieving a peak of #298 in 2008 and a low point of #406 in 2003; not a remarkable change at all. Unless a celebrity decided to name her baby [name]Ivy[/name] in the next couple of years, I don’t see this name straying from its spot on the chart in any remarkable fashion. It won’t be the next [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Olivia[/name], I don’t think, and although short names ending in -y are growing more common, I think lighter ones like [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name] are primed to take over, leaving [name]Ivy[/name] as an original, vintage choice for you!

Sorry for the novel…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I don’t think it will be in the top 10 anytime soon, but I won’t be surprised for it to be in the top 100. It seems to be climbing fast, or perhaps it is just people talking about the name that makes it seem more popular. I have 3 pregnant friends right now, and two of them are considering the name [name]Ivy[/name] (along with [name]Isla[/name], which is also getting more popular). I also have a neighbor with a [name]Violet[/name] and she just named her baby [name]Ivy[/name].
That being said, go with what you love! If you didn’t use it and it never got uber popular, wouldn’t you regret not using it? Of course on the other hand if it did get more popular than you’d like, do you think that would bother you a lot?

I don’t have any evidence to back this up, but my feeling is that [name]Ivy[/name] will become only vaguely popular. By that I mean that it won’t be an unexpected name; many people will have a connection to someone who has chosen that name. I will be very surprised, though, if it gets so popular that there are ever two Ivys in a room. Unless a celebrity uses it. Then it will go to #2.

I don’t think [name]Ivy[/name] will get uber-popular for many of the reasons [name]Lemon[/name] listed. I do think it might get a bump from being a natural sister to [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Isla[/name].

I doubt [name]Ivy[/name] will become overused and [name]Lemon[/name] stated good evidence for that. I think that while it fits in with popular names, it is a bit quirkier and less feminine than a lot of names that currently have mass appeal. I think that will keep it from rocketing on the charts. Maybe it is really trendy in some places, but I personally don’t know where. [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is lovely!

I, too, have no empirical data to back this up (unlike lemon’s wonderfully composed post!) but I don’t think [name]Ivy[/name] will be that popular, either. I like [name]Ivy[/name] too, and I think you see it mentioned on nb a lot because it seems like most berries have a sort of preference for vintage, classic-y names (if that makes sense). I really don’t think mainstream people would even consider [name]Ivy[/name] very often, at all.

I also agree with another poster that it shouldn’t hold you back if it might rise in popularity…wouldn’t you regret that if it didn’t?! [name]Ivy[/name] is lovely and not unusual but not common either, and it seems to suit all your criteria. I think it’d be foolish to throw it away. :slight_smile: [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is perfect!

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is BEAUTIFUL!! I don’t think [name]Ivy[/name] will become too popular. Fabulous choice!!!

I was hooked on [name]Ivy[/name] and had it on my list for a year or two. I then deleted once I realized it is going to be veryyyy popular in the future. I think it will be in the top for sure. If you go to other name sites you will see that the name is tons of name lists. I knew I had to delete it from my list when I noticed that the majority of the posters on babynames.com had it on their lists or were posting about it. It’s a lovely name though! If you don’t mind it being popular, then go for it.

I don’t think it’ll get too popular. I think it’s just a little too quirky to appeal to everyone, unlike [name]Lila[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Ava[/name], etc. It’s a lovely name, and [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is really pretty!

Berries - Thank you so much for your posts! Your posts were so informative and helpful!!! I really appreciate it! :smiley:

[name]Lemon[/name] - I so appreciate your thoughtful response!!! [name]Don[/name]'t worry about it being a novel - it was great to have some data on the name. If [name]Pam[/name] & [name]Linda[/name] need a new Team Member to work at Nameberry.com - I think you’d be a shoe-in!

I’m not sure who said it, but I guess in thinking about it, the general public probably won’t consider the name [name]Ivy[/name], unless it did of course enter the top 100. At this point, even if it did enter that level of popularity, I think we would still choose it. We have had suuuuuuch a hard time agreeing on girls names. I’m not sure why either - boys names have been very easy for us. [name]Ivy[/name] is the perfect package for us - and I think this post helped to affirm that feeling. Thank you all again!!!

[name]Eliza[/name]

Daaaaaaammmmmmn youuuuu, [name_f]Beyonce[/name_f]!!!

I know, old thread is old.

As someone who has an [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] born in 2011 just a few months before Beyoncé’s, I can tell you it’s really not that bad. I hear the name so much on name boards, but we’ve only met two others under ten in the four years since ours was born. She’s the only one in her preschool of 300+ kids, so it’s hardly an epidemic :slight_smile:

I really think it’s one of those names that appeals to many people, but doesn’t end up as the final name when they’re naming a real live baby.

Tough to say. I believe it’s already in the top 100 in [name_f]Canada[/name_f]. Ranked in the 80s somewhere. I’ve only ever met one myself. I truly love the name, and if you do too, go for it. It’s impossible to predict how popular it will get and it’s not overly popular yet.

I think its more of a middle name if I’m honest. It may perhaps be the next [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], but I dont think its going to be a popular first name for a little while.

I personally don’t think it will ever be a top 20 name but could see it maybe dipping into the top 100. My opinion is that if you love a name, use it. There is no possible way to predict the future and there may be a tv show craze in the next 10 years with a main character named [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] to send it soaring to the top. You never know. Most people with a child with a popular name say they never heard that name used much until they named there child that. [name_m]Just[/name_m] my opinion! I know in today’s time people worry about being unique and original, and that’s good. But at the same time there’s nothing wrong with giving your child a name that may be common.

If I’m honest, I pouted a bit when Beyoncé’s baby was announced. However, now that my daughter is old enough to know what’s up, she was INSANELY thrilled to meet an [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] a year or so older than her. I guess we’ll be lucky that if it truly jumps to the top, all of the little Ivys will be several years younger than her. I have a niece and nephew named [name_u]Addison[/name_u] and [name_m]Grayson[/name_m] who are in college and late high school, and they’re like that. They didn’t even know the names were popular until recently, because they never meet anyone they’re own age by those names.