how to get around names you do not like

So I am at an age where my peers are having babies. So far most of them are choosing names that I really really do not like, and I have no idea what to say to them. I work in architecture and so I have devised a slew of phrases to get me through peoples houses that I do not like without being insulting like, “thats impressive” or “how creative” and “I have not seen someone do that before!” But have yet to come up with a vocab for the Brooklyns, Avas, Lindseys and Brittanys that come before me. The last two are the ones that annoy me the most, the names that were popular when we were kids not now.

[name]How[/name] do other people address these moments?

Naming a child is a very sensitive subject. I don’t have a really great answer for you. I think if you reply with that’s unique or I haven’t seen that before you may offend a friend slightly.

As we see even on this site people get upset with responses and advice. I purposely came here when naming my child so that I didn’t have to get the responses or physical reactions from friends and family. I wanted honest opinions but not from people close to me especially if I chose a name they had an adverse reaction to.

I would just smile! Or if they are looking for advice recommend a site like this! Maybe then you could even give your advice with out them knowing :slight_smile:

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I have no clue, but I’d like an answer too :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My goddaughter was just born and she’s [name]Emily[/name]. While [name]Emily[/name] is gorgeous…its immensly popular. I just don’t get how, with all the wonderful names out there, you end up with the MOST popular name of the last decade. It baffles my brain. I guess its better than some of the crazies I’ve heard, though.
In my graduating class (I’m 24) and the surrounding ones there are several people who have had an [name]Aidan[/name] (and its wonderful spellings). There’s also an [name]Alyvia[/name], [name]Leah[/name], [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Treyton[/name], [name]Arianna[/name], [name]Landon[/name] (x2) and [name]Lauren[/name]. Oh, and a [name]Holly[/name] born on xmas eve…its a little too cutesy for me. Apparently my class doesn’t like to stray from the top 100-200. On the bright side…there is a [name]Victoria[/name] and a [name]Wylie[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I don’t hate any of these names. I actually really like [name]Arianna[/name] and [name]Landon[/name], I just can’t see myself using a name that is uber popular. Wow…I digress!
Anyways…help!? :slight_smile:

Are most of the names still actually pretty? Detach yourself from whether the name is too popular or the choice seems uninformed and concentrate on the name - [name]Lindsay[/name], [name]Brittany[/name], and [name]Emily[/name] are still pretty names. To be quite honest, there are less common names I don’t get, like [name]Calla[/name], which seems to come up a lot here. I don’t think it’s not pretty, so if someone named their daughter that, I would say what a pretty name. If over the phone or internet, I might make a face they can’t see. Can’t wait to meet her or him.

If the name is really odd, I might ask why - in an upbeat way - “oh, how’d you come up with that?” It’s quite unusual, you don’t see that name around a lot - wouldn’t they think that was a compliment? I think when someone chooses an odd name, they think that’s the goal, so it is a compliment? Maybe, you know your own friends and co-workers, right? Does she go by any nicknames? is another good question. Was she named after someone in the family?

If your conversation is with a grandparent and you don’t know her daughter or son at all, say, some woman works with you and is showing off her new grandchild pictures to you - touchy. She may in fact also think the name is awful, but you are not allowed to dis her family! Oh, what a beautiful, darling little boy or girl!

If you are meeting other moms while you are at the park or the library with your own kid, or their kid goes to the same school with yours, you don’t have to compliment the name choice if you don’t want to. Ask about other mom things, behaviors and skills, wow, she’s only 4 and can read that whole book by herself? Or how does she get along with her new baby brother? Stuff like that.

Anyway, I think even if a name is dated a little or too common, the name is still pretty or well-chosen by the ear. Probably. You can always say what a pretty name. Never say such like “I admire your bravery for naming your daughter to be a stripper,” or “[name]Don[/name]'t you worry there will be 15 other Brittanys in her class?” No. Popularity of a name tends to be overstated, and most people don’t worry about these things like you do or I do.

[name]Hope[/name] that helps somewhat.

I would suggest that unless they ask you what you think of the name, you don’t comment on it. Instead comment on the child!

Example…
You: Oh what is her name?
[name]Friend[/name]: [name]Brittany[/name] [name]Jean[/name]
You: Oh [name]Brittany[/name] you are adorable!

Or even if you arentg seeing the baby at the time but your friend calls to tell you she had the baby, just say something like “oh we can’t wait to meet her! I am sure she’s beautiful!”

If they do ask you specically what you think of the name, something like “all the Lindseys I know are lovely people”.

I read this blog yesterday and I think it has GREAT advice. Down toward the bottom there are bold headings and hopefully you can use them.

Here is the link:

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/07/21/when-mom-hates-your-babys-name/#more-4436

thank you all for your advice! its nice to see that im not the only one who has this problem. it seems the answer is the well known, “if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all” with an added, “change the subject”. that i can handle. now if i can just maintain control of my facial expressions…

I usually feel so happy that they didn’t choose a name that I love that I have no problem saying “Pretty!” and moving on. I’m always so afraid that my friends and family members are going to choose names that are similar to the names that I love, therefore taking them off the market.