How to honor a Ronald?

I would love to honor my father by using the mn spot. However, although I love my Dad I don’t love his name and he dislikes his own name. He goes by [name_m]Ron[/name_m]. It is def a 50s name and dated. We have other children named after my husband’s side of the family and I would love to honor someone on my side, just not sure how.

I thought maybe [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], but don’t like that name much. Or maybe just [name_m]Ron[/name_m] as a mn? For a two syllable fn?

Well, [name_m]Roland[/name_m] is just a few letters off. :slight_smile:

What’s your dad’s middle name? Maybe there’s something you can work with there.

so glad you asked this, my hubby’s dad is [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] and wants to somehow use it as well but cannot find a variation we like either…

Or what about [name_u]Rowen[/name_u]? Or like the other person asked? What’s his middle name? Maybe you could use that or combine the two somehow?

I too want to suggest [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. Our what about [name_m]Rogan[/name_m], [name_u]Roan[/name_u], [name_m]Roman[/name_m], or [name_u]Rory[/name_u]?

[name_m]Ronald[/name_m] means mighty counselor/ruler so maybe something that means the same thing? I think [name_m]Richard[/name_m] means ruler/king.

Maybe you can find a variation of [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] that honors your dad’s heritage. Example, if he’s Spanish you could use [name_m]Ronaldo[/name_m]

Seconding the suggestion of [name_m]Roland[/name_m]! The behindthename entry for [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] has a lot of alternatives. Meaning, origin and history of the name Ronald - Behind the Name

I personally wouldn’t use [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] if neither of you like it. What about his middle, surname or a variant?

I’m thinking maybe I’ll use his surname, as his middle name is very old fashioned and not in a good way, and he doesn’t like it either. I would much prefer using [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] over [name_m]Roland[/name_m].

[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]? It’s kind of a stretch, but there’s the [name_m]Ron[/name_m] part… [name_m]Just[/name_m] thought I’d throw that out there. I like the idea of using his surname too. Is it usable as a first name?

The “Coolator” feature once suggested [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] as a more updated idea for a “[name_m]Ron[/name_m]” name.

I love some of the old Germanic (English) and Norse variations of the name.

[name_u]Reynold[/name_u] or [name_m]Reinhold[/name_m] (prn [name_u]REN[/name_u]-əld - the ə is prn a bit like the a in about, the ubiquitous schwa)

Or the Welsh form [name_m]Rheinallt[/name_m] (prn [name_u]REN[/name_u]-ahlt).

They are all (including [name_m]Ronald[/name_m], which is the Scottish) variation of the Scandinavian name Ragnvaldr (Prn something like Rag-(n)val-dir), which while nice, I don’t think would translate well outside of Scandinavian countries, simply because no one would be able to pronounce it correctly.

[name_m]Roald[/name_m] might do nicely. Or perhaps [name_m]Arnold[/name_m] or [name_m]Harold[/name_m], or even [name_m]Aldo[/name_m]. But I think [name_m]Roald[/name_m] is a lovely alternative.

[name_f]My[/name_f] top boy’s name is [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] and I actually think [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] works perfectly as a middle name. However, if you dad doesn’t like his own name then maybe opt for this last name or middle name?

I like [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] though, I think it works!

I like Ronan! What about Cameron? I know a 12 year old Cameron that goes by Ron or Ronnie. He has a twin brother called Matty and I actually thought their full names were Matthew and Ronald at first.

I would go with [name_m]Orlando[/name_m], which is a variation of [name_m]Roland[/name_m],which is close to [name_m]Ronald[/name_m]. Of course there is [name_m]Donald[/name_m] but it is nearly that dated.
Some other ideas:
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
[name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]
Bayron
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Cameron[/name_u]
[name_m]Efron[/name_m]
[name_m]Miron[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronin[/name_m]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]
[name_m]Tyrone[/name_m]
All these name have “[name_m]Ron[/name_m]” somewhere.