How to pronounce Salome

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] again. I posted yesterday about [name_f]Sally[/name_f] and suggestions of [name_f]Salome[/name_f] as a full name stood out. I love the meaning of peace (our son is [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]) and the nn [name_f]Sally[/name_f]. Problem is, I’m not sure what the correct pronunciation is. At first glance, I assumed sa-LOAM sort of like [name_u]Shalom[/name_u]. I think [name_u]Alex[/name_u] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]’s daughter [name_f]Salome[/name_f] says it [name_u]SAL[/name_u]-oh-may. But I’ve seen multiple pronunciations around, and I’m not clear on which syllable is stressed. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce this name?

I met a [name_f]Salome[/name_f] who pronounced her name Sa-Loam. But since this name is so uncommon I think its fine to ‘pick’ a pronunciation because even if one was the intended pronunciation I’m sure now both are commonly used.

I recently heard this name in a movie, & it was said [name_u]Sal[/name_u]-oh-may in there.

I say [name_u]SAL[/name_u]-oh-may. That’s just an assumption based on it being a widely used name in [name_f]France[/name_f] but I could be wrong. I’d be surprised if it was sa-LOME, though.

I have heard both [name_u]SAL[/name_u]-oh-may and sah-LOH-mee. Either one is correct, I suppose. [name_m]Just[/name_m] use the pronunciation that you like better or feels more natural to you.

(I do think that sah-LOAM is incorrect, though, tbh.)

[name_u]Sal[/name_u]-uh-may is my guess

I say sa-LO-may, but I know a lot of people say it as sa-LOAM.

I would say sal-oh-may, I’ve not heard sa-loam before but it seems some of the other commenters have. I think sal-oh-may sounds really pretty as well.

I think [name_f]Salome[/name_f] is a name that’s so uncommon that it doesn’t have a standard English pronunciation.

I’ve heard both [name_u]SAL[/name_u]-oh-may and sa-LOW-mee (though I think the latter is a bit too close to “salami”).

In Spanish and [name_m]French[/name_m] it’s Salomé.

Thanks for the help, everyone! Sounds like [name_u]Sal[/name_u]-oh-may is a safe bet. I’d probably try to stick with that as much as possible due to a slight worry about sah-LO-mee being misheard as salami just because it’s fairly unfamiliar here in the US.

[name_u]SAL[/name_u]-oh-may. Beautiful name, beautiful meaning!