How to spell Margot?

What is your favorite spelling of [name]Margot[/name]? I think I like [name]Margot[/name] the best, but I’m worried about it being said correctly. Also what are your thoughts on it?

And one other question, I love the name [name]Pearl[/name], would it be too much to use [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] together being that [name]Margot[/name] means pearl? It has significance to me, if that makes a difference.

I used to prefer [name]Margot[/name], and that seems the most natural to me and I would instantly know how to pronounce it, even without being a name nerd! However my partner always tells me it reminds him of maggots, so now I lean a little more towards [name]Margo[/name]. That’s when I’m considering it as a middle name though since he won’t let me use it for a first sadly! If I was using it as a first maybe I’d ignore his concerns and spell it [name]Margot[/name] as I think this is the spelling most people would assume and I wouldn’t want to make life hard for her.

Ideally, I wouldn’t use two names with the same meaning, but I don’t think many people at all would realise [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] had the same meaning, outside the nameberry community, so if both have significance to you then I wouldn’t worry about using both, and I think [name]Margot[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] sounds lovely actually :slight_smile:

I like [name]Margot[/name] the most, I think people are familiar enough with it to prn it correctly. I dont have a problem with the [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] combo.

I like [name]Margot[/name], [name]Margo[/name] and [name]Margaux[/name] pretty much equally - some days I lean toward [name]Margaux[/name], and sometimes I think that’s too frilly and go back to one of the simpler spellings. I agree with the previous poster - very few people are likely to know that [name]Margot[/name] means “pearl” - however, it’d probably bother me a little bit personally, similar to someone on here a while ago who wanted to name her daughter [name]Bella[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]. You just have to decide how much it bugs you.

I like [name]Margot[/name] or [name]Margo[/name] best and if [name]Pearl[/name] means something to you then use it! It’s not like everyone you meet will know what [name]Margot[/name] means or that [name]Pearl[/name] is the middle name. [name]Margo[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] is very lovely.

I like [name]Margot[/name] the best. [name]Margo[/name] looks incomplete to me (and I just see “cargo”), and the French [name]Margaux[/name] looks a bit too frilly to me. [name]Margot[/name] is just right. :slight_smile:

With [name]Margot[/name] meaning “pearl” I usually wouldn’t suggest [name]Margot[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], but it is a lovely combo and most wouldn’t know that [name]Margot[/name] means “pearl”–however, I really do think that [name]Margot[/name] could honor the [name]Pearl[/name] you’re trying to honor, anyway. So it could go either way. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name]Margot[/name] best. I don’t like [name]Margaux[/name] at all.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I don’t think I explained it well, I meant would it be too much to use [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] as siblings? But I also really love the combo [name]Margot[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], it’s definitely a possibility!

Oh, haha, I totally misunderstood that! I don’t know, I guess it is doable, but it’s just too close for me. It’s almost like naming two daughters [name]Pearl[/name] 1 and [name]Pearl[/name] 2, especially since I’ve heard some Margarets/Margots/etc. go by the nn [name]Pearl[/name]. I think it’s much more usable as a combo, [name]Margot[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]. Then again, [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Lillian[/name] seem completely different, but I wouldn’t use them as sisters since they’re both forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name]…

I prefer [name]Margot[/name] and I think [name]Pearl[/name] would be a great sibling name! [name]Both[/name] are really pretty. I do think that at some point, [name]Margot[/name] will get called Maggot by mean-natured kids at school–every name has a down side and I think that’s the biggest one for this name.

I like [name]Margaux[/name] best. It says “mahr-GO” to me whereas the other two come across more as “[name]MAR[/name]-go” which I like a lot less.
I think [name]Margo/name/[name]Margaux[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] are fine together as sisters, especially if there’s significance. Most people don’t know they’re related in meaning, and even if they do, it’s a nice meaning so the tie is sweet.

I much prefer [name]Margo[/name]…although it is clear to my how to pronounce [name]Margot[/name], I think [name]Margo[/name] is prettier, spunkier with that O-ending AND easier for the general population to spell/pronounce. And, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Margo[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]…adorable!

Having known a pretty awesome person named [name]Margaux[/name], I’m partial to that spelling. I think it eliminates (or at least greatly reduces) the possibility of the teasing that was mentioned by a previous poster, as the spelling M-A-R-G-O-T is what’s close to “maggot,” not the pronounciation.

As for using [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] as a sibset, I think it’s lovely. I agree that the identical meaning won’t be apparent to most, and it will have significance for you. Perfection!

I think [name]Margaux[/name] looks the most feminine.

My daughter is [name]Margot[/name] and for the most part we haven’t had too many issues with mispronunciation. I personally think [name]Margot[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] IS a bit much seeing they both mean the same thing. My dd is named after my grandmother [name]Grietje[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]… which is Dutch and means [name]Pearl[/name]. We went with [name]Margot[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]. That is -eena in [name]Carolina[/name], not like the state.