How would you pronounce Aurelia?

[name_m]Just[/name_m] like the title says, how would you pronounce [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]? I adore this name, but I think it will remain on my guilty pleasure list just because of pronunciation issues. I say [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lia, but I’ve also heard [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-REEL-ia. Is there a “correct” pronunciation?

I say ow-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lia, with the first syllable rhyming with how (basically I use the pronunciation in [name_u]Love[/name_u] Actually). Beautiful name!

I say Or-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh, which is my absolute favourite pronunciation. I love [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] by the way.

I’ve always pronounced it as Aw-REHL-ya, but I went to school with a girl named [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] when I was younger and it was pronounced such as.

I say Or-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-ah and I agree, it’s such a beautiful name!

I say it with the -reel- pronounciation. I’ve never cared for it. It sounds like a medical term pertaining to the ear, or auris, that’s all I hear when I think of it

aw-REL-lee-ah

I say au-ree-lee-a in English, the au is a mix between a and o.
In [name_m]German[/name_m] I say ow-reh-lee-a (the eh being what people would describe as an ay here but the e is quite far from that).
I find a-ray-lee-a a bit weird as it seems to mimic the Spanish/European pronunciation but really doesn’t, however I’ve hear quite a few people on here pronounce it like that.

Yep, me too.

Haha… glad that people seem to accept “the [name_u]Love[/name_u], Actually pronunciation” as an answer. I use that one, too.

It’s Aw-(“Au” in spanish pronunciation)-re-lee-ah

We named our daughter [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and use the “Or-reel-ee-ah” pronounciation as in the usual pronunciation of [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] which is the origin of the female version - makes the most sense to me.

I’ve found a lot of people use the “[name_u]Ray[/name_u]” pronunciation though, and I don’t mind that way of saying it, so it doesn’t bother me. It might bother her when she grows up though. I find its a name that many people struggle to get their head around as far as the pronunciation. We use “[name_f]Lia[/name_f]” for short and many people jump on that instead of trying to say her full name.

That said - my name is [name_f]Julia[/name_f] which is super simple and easy to pronounce, but I constantly get [name_u]Julie[/name_u] which drives me mad. Can’t win can you :slight_smile:

Aw-RELL-ya

I say or-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lia

I read it as Or-ree-lee-ahh.

Our-ale-ee-ah

I’d say aw-ril-leah. With my accent, I’m always lazy on the vowels.

I’ve only heard aw REEL ee uh, and it makes the most sense to me.

I pronounce it aw-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh. It’s pretty, but I prefer Aulaire, the old Latin form of [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] <3

Wow! Quite a difference in pronunciations with everybody! Thanks for the help. I like Aw-reel-lia and aw-ray-lia over aw-reel-ya.